If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ceiling Panel Vibration

chiz

Ceiling Panel Vibration

Post by chiz » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:37 pm

I have an SEL with rear air. Driving along at 55 mph and one of the scouts in the back put down his rear window. The interior ceiling panel started to vibrate pretty bad and our ears started hurting from the pulsing air(sound) waves. Don't know how else to describe the feeling. Doesn't start pulsing until the window is about 1/2 way down.

Does this seem normal to everyone? Does this happen in models without the rear air ceiling ducts?

tim

Post by tim » Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:01 pm

I'd say it's fairly "normal" in well built, tight cars like ours. I had a VW Passat that would do the same thing...the air can't get out of the car, the only solution is to crack another window, or leave them up...Your rear air has nothing to do with it.

A quick search found this:
http://www.cd-adapco.com/news/20/saab.htm
Tim in Omaha
'05 SEL/AWD
'07 Shelby GT Mustang

myersie

window problem

Post by myersie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:08 pm

Ive got a 2005 freestyle less than one week ago,today was my first drive in it,love the car!
Unfortunety I have the same problem with the windows down around 55-60 mph the bellowing of trapped wind inside the car is unbearable,had to close windows fast or pull over.
Never thought about the celing panel being part of the problem but its not something that can be ignored.
I work at a Ford dealer and will be in touch with someone in service maybe even Ford Motor,not sure if theres anything that can be done tho.
other than that the car is made for us(traded a Windstar)

dan831wv

Post by dan831wv » Mon May 02, 2005 10:27 pm

Now that the weather is starting to warm up, I experienced this for the first time this week. Holy cow. It sounds like you are inside of one of those little souped-up hatchbacks with a huge bass subwoofer blaring. Extremely painful to the ears! These pressure waves/resonant vibrations are violent. I could even feel the driver's door panel pulsing in and out at least an inch. Not only will this damage your ears if you're exposed to it long enough, I could see this working loose paneling, screws, etc inside the car. It starts at around 40mph and gets very violent at 60mph and up.

Thankfully it is only when one or both of the rear windows are down, and I doubt anyone riding in the car could stand it long enough for it to damage anything. Rolling one or both of the front windows down gets rid of it.

sharpcolorado

Expedition Had Thudding Sound Also

Post by sharpcolorado » Tue May 03, 2005 4:46 am

The 2000 Ford Expedition we traded in for our Ford 2005 Freestyle Limited had the same problem.

When having only rear windows open at highway speeds, a low-frequency thud would be very uncomfortable. We knew to open at least one front window a bit.

The design of many cars, especially SUVs have this issue, which is a resonanting pressure wave at certain speeds.

By the way, while it is active, the rear passengers don't really hear it. The pressure drop is between the rear and front seats, causing the vibrations.