If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Audio System replacement

DaSlave

Audio System replacement

Post by DaSlave » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Can anyone help?
I decided that I wanted to have GPS in the dash (rather that the ugly 'on the dash' devices) so I bought a brand new 7" screen Android based head unit.
I have replaced every single head unit in my previous hand full of vehicles (Focus, Ranger x2, Exploder) without even giving a second thought. However, having purchased the head unit I discovered that the system in my Freebie has three plugs coming out of the back and, you've guessed it; the RSE system.
I didn't have one of those before, my wife has always had those but she gets the new cars, with the factory fitted everything and I get the 'used car' choice! (happy wife.. blah blah..). So I have never had to, or wanted to, mess with any of those.

First issue was actually tracking down some wiring information.. I bought a set of pre-made cables/connectors (Scosche) which I was under the impression would make life easy for me, only to be stumped at solder point one..

They follow the ISO standard color scheme, and fortunately so does the new head unit. So it was pretty straightforward with color to color (for the most part). Until there were a few extras in the Scosche connector (lots of surplus brown wires!). So I did the diligent thing and took pictures of the connectors in the dash of my 07 Freebie. This advanced me something because it made it possible to see what was and what wasn't there anyway! No wire = no concern!
I made it most of the way through but then I hit things like SWC, the new head unit says key1 and key2.. Okay, so it is from China, who knows what that means. Unfortunately for me, I am into CAN from a diagnostic (I work for a company that makes 'black boxes' for auto to aero) perspective, so I immediately thought; I wonder if key1 is CAN Hi and key2 CAN Lo?? I have no idea and getting answers from China is like trying to get _____ from a rocking horse! So, I will play the; what if game and see what happens as CAN is good for +7V so the SWC is lower voltage based on imedence differences (or am I wrong?).
The VSS - I assume vehicle speed is probably not connected to anything so I'll keep that out of the equation for now.

So, now on to the 16 pin: I guess unless I want to add an additional $100 investment, it's a; who cares, I never use the RSE anyway. But, I wonder if there is a way to defeat the CAN switch? Does the DVD player really have a CAN chipset on-board? That's a question that I'd like to ask, if anyone knows I'd appreciate the heads up on that. Because if it doesn't, and or there is a way to bypass the CAN on/off control, so the system just works (headphones or who cares what) that is a step in the right direction. Frankly the Ford screen is so poor, I wouldn't care if it just sat there filling a hole in the roof lining!

And finally, on to my last and actually the most important question: The 8 pin.. I looked at the connector in the dash. It has all four of the upper pins connected (see below for my thoughts on all of the pin outs). However, the Scosche connector seems to have 6 pins connected and they don't correspond with anything that I have seen?? So, I wonder if anyone else has had this issue, has any tips on what to do to overcome this (such as how do you take the connector apart and rearrange the wiring) and or, any clues about what I need to connect and what I don't need to connect!

The wiring that I have on the 8pin, on the car is
1 - pink/drk grey (I believe to be Audio +)
2 - orange (I believe is also Audio +)
3 - black (Audio shield/grnd)
4 - grey/blk - (enable - switch?) - does anyone know if this is supposed to be 12V+ or whatever?
5-8 - NC

The 24pin and the 16pin I will post after I have tested them (although the 16pin could be superfluous since I think that will need the fancy CAN inline thingy that everyone speaks about!)

If anyone has actual wiring diagrams for this, I would be eternally grateful. Also, I read that someone had simply suggested putting the original head unit under the passenger seat to retain the CAN to the RSE? If that is the case can anyone advise me on how that is achieved? (my wife will shoot me if I say I need another $100 for anything to do with this unit!)

Many Thanks,
Dave

brijack515

Re: Audio System replacement

Post by brijack515 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:39 pm

I will look at an '07 manual and copy the plugs and wire schemes tomorrow and send via private email when done. The small plug closest to the antenna wire is for the amplifier and the second plug should cover speakers and Sat Radio unit.

DaSlave

Post by DaSlave » Fri May 01, 2015 12:10 pm

brijack515 wrote:I will look at an '07 manual and copy the plugs and wire schemes tomorrow and send via private email when done. The small plug closest to the antenna wire is for the amplifier and the second plug should cover speakers and Sat Radio unit.
Many Thanks.

I would be interested to hear if anyone knows how to defeat the CAN controller to the RSE system? I'm pretty sure that there must be something that could be done on the DVD player itself?

Cheers.

DaSlave

Post by DaSlave » Sat May 16, 2015 7:24 am

Quick Update
I got my unit installed and working and in all honesty it was thanks to the seller (look for Pumpkin _Cool on eBay) because without the CAN interface you will probably be dead in the water!

If anyone is interested this unit is Android 4.4.
The installation is so easy that I can't believe it took under 2 hours!

BTW, the wiring on these units are already done for you, so you don't need to suffer like I did to start with. The kit that I bought on eBay for the installation was 100% wrong, not just the wiring, but the brackets and the frame! Ironically the seller that I got them from suggested that I was being an '[email protected]@' about it! Pumkin_cool was not only helpful but was way beyond that with non stop emails with information. I guess the rating isn't always a good indicator, the ones that 'screwed me up' were a 99.5% and Pumkin_cool was 99.1%!! And I am plugging them because they deserve to be a 100%!

I'll post the other pictures as soon as I have done editing the 'mess' out of them!
http://www.ebay.com/sch/pumpkin_cool/m. ... 7675.l2562

Oldman3D

Post by Oldman3D » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:10 am

Hello all,

I just picked up a used 2005 Freestyle and wondering if I can use this radio as well keeping the controls and DVD function (rear player).

Thanks..

Wayne