If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Double DIN Stereo Install

UltimateArsen

Double DIN Stereo Install

Post by UltimateArsen » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey Guys,

Decided to upgrade my head-unit so I could have the AUX output and a bluetooth hands free unit.
I went with the Sony WX-GT90BT system.

I noticed there wasn't much in the way for an aftermarket head-unit install so I included some pictures.

Thanks for looking.
The new head-unit.
The new head-unit.
Box (640x480).jpg (195.65 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
Before the upgrade.
Before the upgrade.
Img1 (640x480).jpg (222.67 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
Remove the trim by opening the top dash compartment, start at the top and carefully but firmly pull away from the dash. There will be some wires to remove from the trim. Take out the four bolts surrounding the stock head unit.
Remove the trim by opening the top dash compartment, start at the top and carefully but firmly pull away from the dash. There will be some wires to remove from the trim. Take out the four bolts surrounding the stock head unit.
Img2 (640x480).jpg (218.3 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
Last edited by UltimateArsen on Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pwschuh

Re: Double DIN Stereo Install

Post by pwschuh » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 am

Pictures can't be viewed without account on another site.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

UltimateArsen

Post by UltimateArsen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:55 pm

After removing the bolts, remove the wiring from the head unit.
After removing the bolts, remove the wiring from the head unit.
Img3 (640x480).jpg (212.57 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
I bought a Freebie specific adapter to make the install easy and clean.
I bought a Freebie specific adapter to make the install easy and clean.
img5 (640x480).jpg (216.84 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
I heard the best place for the Bluetooth microphone was above the rear view mirror. I'm told this eliminates the potential for traffic noises.
I heard the best place for the Bluetooth microphone was above the rear view mirror. I'm told this eliminates the potential for traffic noises.
Img7 (640x480).jpg (193.15 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

UltimateArsen

Post by UltimateArsen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:59 pm

Wires all attached.
Wires all attached.
Img6 (640x480).jpg (235.8 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
Mounted the microphone above the rear view mirror to eliminate any potential for traffic noises during phone calls. I ran the wire under the headliner.
Mounted the microphone above the rear view mirror to eliminate any potential for traffic noises during phone calls. I ran the wire under the headliner.
Img7 (640x480).jpg (193.15 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
And then ran the wire through the paneling. I zip tied the microphone wire to the existing wiring so that I wouldn't pinch the cord when replacing the panel. From my research the wire is very sensitive and will give static if pinched even a little bit. I then ran it behind the steering wheel panel and into the back of the head unit.
And then ran the wire through the paneling. I zip tied the microphone wire to the existing wiring so that I wouldn't pinch the cord when replacing the panel. From my research the wire is very sensitive and will give static if pinched even a little bit. I then ran it behind the steering wheel panel and into the back of the head unit.
Img8 (640x480).jpg (180.11 KiB) Viewed 4754 times

UltimateArsen

Post by UltimateArsen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:07 pm

I grounded the new head unit into the existing mounting screws. It's a pretty solid metal place and that way I didn't have to drill any holes.
I grounded the new head unit into the existing mounting screws. It's a pretty solid metal place and that way I didn't have to drill any holes.
Img22 (640x480).jpg (179.78 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
I attached all the wiring to the head unit and mounted it in place. I bought a double din mounting unit specific to Ford Trucks. Had to remove some tabs, but otherwise very easy. Makes installing much cleaner.
I attached all the wiring to the head unit and mounted it in place. I bought a double din mounting unit specific to Ford Trucks. Had to remove some tabs, but otherwise very easy. Makes installing much cleaner.
Img9 (640x480).jpg (243.3 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
Replace the wires into the trim and pop the trim back in place and it's all nice and clean :)
Replace the wires into the trim and pop the trim back in place and it's all nice and clean :)
Img33 (640x480).jpg (241.1 KiB) Viewed 4755 times

UltimateArsen

Post by UltimateArsen » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:09 pm

Just a small note. There are two wiring harnesses in the back of the stock head unit. One is to power the stereo, the other is for the steering wheel controls. This particular model does allow for steering wheel harness hookup, but I opted out of that.

RSKI84

Post by RSKI84 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:09 pm

This is awesome thank you, since i am buying the same head unit this will help a ton! How hard was it to feed the mic wire through the steering column?
2006 Freestyle Limited Tan on Tan

UltimateArsen

Post by UltimateArsen » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Pretty easy. I ran it down the A panel and followed the groove in the panelling under the steering column, tucked it in and then ran it under the actual steering wheel follwed the rest of the groove and ran it behind the stereo paneling. There is about an inch of wiring that is outside the paneling, bit it's down pretty low so you can't see it. Just pull it tight behind the deck so that it doesn't slag. I zip tied the remaining wire for the micrphone to the ford stereo wires so it stayed put.

RSKI84

Post by RSKI84 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Sounds good to me, where did you get the wire harness and dash kit from and do you have steering wheel controls or a factory dvd player you installed to the radio by any chance?

UltimateArsen

Post by UltimateArsen » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:22 am

I got the wiring harness and the mounting kit at Futureshop. The mounting kit was more expensive than other kits I've bought before, but you just remove a couple of tabs and it fits right in. It saved me a lot of hassle. I did not get the steering wheel harness to attach to the unit. To be honest, I think it is for an aftermarket steering wheel control system, but I haven't done a ton of research for that. My Freebie does not have the factory dvd player, although I intend to upgrade at some point and have the monitors in the back of the head rests. Judging by all the features on the head unit, I don't see this being a problem in the future.

RSKI84

Post by RSKI84 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Cool thanks for the info

jlmer

Post by jlmer » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:28 am

I'm getting ready to replace the standard radio in my 2005 Freestar with a Sony WX-GT90BT. The stock radio has a large socket and a smaller one on the back, The Sony has a smaller socket plus a din socket on the back of it. I have two converter plugs plus the installation brackets. Do I need anything else?

UltimateArsen

Post by UltimateArsen » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 am

You should be good to go. Unless you want the steering wheel controls. This wasn't a big deal for me so I never got a bunch of info on that.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:13 pm

...Freestar?
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

fosheemd

Post by fosheemd » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:45 pm

Thanks for the great procedure, it's going to come in handy in a couple days when my head unit arrives. In my searching I did run across a couple extra tidbits of info in case it's useful to anyone else. First, the second/smaller connector on the factory unit seems could possibly serve one of two purposes, it could be connection for a factory aux input or it could be the connection from factory rear dvd unit if installed. This info from page(scroll down some); http://www.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=2203
I really appreciate the good info on that site but a savvy shopper may want to check those part numbers on eb or az, just ordered my dvd connector for $8 shipped... Secondly, for those interested, a pin-out diagram for the primary/larger factory connector is here; http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/ans ... Yxbg%3D%3D
This is for my '05 thru an '07 but lower on that page you'll find a link to '04 info also. Interestingly, pin "19" says "steering wheel controls" and I think if your head unit has the capability it may be possible to map those thru this primary connector. I'll post my findings once I complete my installation. Cheers, Mark