Rear Door Lock Actuator

rose359

Rear Door Lock Actuator

Post by rose359 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:24 am

I have a rear door actuator that makes a buzzing noise for 1 or 2 seconds but does not move the lock. The knob still works to lock and unlock. I pulled off the interior panel and the steel panel behind it, but did not get access to it. I wasn't sure if I should dig farther and remove the latch and disconnect the glass. So, I put it back together.

I tried leaving the connector disconnected, but the dome light would stay on for a couple minutes following start up and the automatic door locks (all doors) ceased to operate. So, I reconnected it.

Anyone have experience with this problem?

Also during the last rain, the door accumulated a lot of water, at least a gallon could be heard sloshing around. I drilled a couple holes to drain it. It seems the two drains that are part of the design were sealed with debris.

rtg143

Re: Rear Door Lock Actuator

Post by rtg143 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:57 am

Bert
2008 Taurus X Limited
2002 F150 XLT

rose359

Post by rose359 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:53 am

Thanks for the link. It is unclear why the window would need to be taped in the raised position. Why not put the window all the way down?

This is quite a lengthy procedure; it seems like better access could have been provided by the design.

rtg143

Post by rtg143 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:15 am

If the window is down, it'd be in the way to get to things. They don't have that much trouble with them to make them any easier. That's why the mechanics are paid for what they do.
Bert
2008 Taurus X Limited
2002 F150 XLT

jbberns4

Post by jbberns4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:10 am

I am replacing the left rear actuator. Everything went well, until I removed the three torx bolts on the side of door and tried to remove the actuator assembly. It is held on with one or two rods. I can't seem to find the e-clip to remove or any other item to get it off. I am so close, yet can't seem to get it out! Can anyone guide me here?

kwb42

Post by kwb42 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:15 pm

This YouTube shows how to remove the door lock for the front door.
http://youtu.be/kYK096r1aag
The rear is very similar. At the 5:30 mark it illustrates how to release the clip on the rod. I used the blade of a small screwdriver and pulled the yellow tab forward before removing the Tory screws. You only have to take the forward most rod loose.
You have to keep the removed rod tight against the outer door skin while retracting the lock, tape it or hold it with a long screwdriver.
Be sure to lubricate all the pivot points on the entire lock. I failed to do this and had to install a second actuator. If you want to save some money you can open the actuator, pry out the motor and will find the gear worn away on one end. Simply reverse the gear and it is ready for another round.

jbberns4

Post by jbberns4 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:52 pm

Thanks so much kwb42!!! I really appreciate your help. will be away from the car for a few days, but will use your method next week. I'll report back then.

jbberns4

Post by jbberns4 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:23 am

I want to thank kwb42! Once the plastic clip was opened, the actuator assembly came out! I'm happy to report that the door lock is again working well! Thanks for your help!

river860

Post by river860 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:24 pm

Does the metal shroud need to come off to do this? The youtube video linked in the post above is no longer available. Having a hard time figuring out how to access everything from the small hole with the water sheild . Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks