If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Center Dash Storage Compartment Lid

kidfam

Center Dash Storage Compartment Lid

Post by kidfam » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:07 am

My 2006 Ford Freestyle Ltd has not only a broken hinge on the Dash Storage Compartment Lid (black in color) and the Gear Track also broke off it. Anyone know where to find a lid or have a workaround?

Note: The dealer does not sell parts to fix it and at this time there are none on Ebay the correct color.

obstacles exist

Re: Center Dash Storage Compartment Lid

Post by obstacles exist » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I was ready to purchase a replacement lid, but after taking it out to examine it was an easy fix.
Might not be the same problem but worth trying. link to my post on the process.

http://www.myfordfreestyle.com/forums/v ... f=2&t=4133
2005 Limited AWD
...no matter how much snow is at Mammoth Mountain, you'll always see the same disclaimer..."obsticales exist"...

boondoggle

Post by boondoggle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:49 pm

The picture does not seem to be working in the linked post. I have to manually pry up the lid on my wife's Freestyle as well.

It sounds like you're saying to just pry up on the bezel around the compartment, remove two 7mm (hex?) screws and then just take it apart and look for some coil springs that came off?
2006 Limited AWD Black
Tan Interior, No DVD, 2nd Row Bench Seat
~115,000 Miles

obstacles exist

Post by obstacles exist » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:38 pm

yes, once the dash storage lid is opened up you then pull straight out on the trim right above the two main air vents. that exposes those two small trim screws and once those are out you remove the entire dash storage unit, hopefully you'll see as I did that the hinge pin can simply be pushed back in its place.
2005 Limited AWD
...no matter how much snow is at Mammoth Mountain, you'll always see the same disclaimer..."obsticales exist"...

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Mine is the case where the right bracket is broken at where the spring goes along with the center gear track bracket broken off.

How do you post pictures on here?

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:13 am

kidfam wrote:How do you post pictures on here?
see the "how to" HERE
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:09 am

Well I totally give up on this compartment door. I bought a used one online from a auto recycler and one month later one of the springs again broke through the POORLY DESIGNED hinge. My wife says she really prefers to leave the door off anyway as it is easier to put stuff in the basket. FORD, your designers flunked out big time with this design as it way too weak!!!!

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:48 am

Just curious, what are you doing to get it to break?

It's not like there are a lot of reports here about it breaking and you have broken 2 of them.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Matts06FS

Post by Matts06FS » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Mine broke too shortly after I got the car used. I never was hard on it, I think it is just a poor design. Ford screwed up the ashtray cover in my 87 Mustang too. It is the same kind of design that snapped in the same area where the spring connects.

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:53 am

Matts06FS is correct as they always break where the spring goes into the bracket. There is not enought material i.e. plastic to keep from breaking

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:36 am

Well I got another compartment from a Freestyle at Pull a Part. It is gray in color instead of charcoal like me car however so far it hasn't broke. I bet the hot Alabama sun degrades the plastic and weakens it