If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Please give me hope on my 2005 Freestyle instrument cluster!

forswell

Please give me hope on my 2005 Freestyle instrument cluster!

Post by forswell » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:45 pm

Ok, I've searched all the forums and tried to educate myself as much as possible. But my problem is ongoing... Any insight would be helpful and appreciated!

We experienced the dreaded cluster failure on our 2005 Freestyle this summer at @55,000 miles. Took to dealer and paid $750 for the cluster repair. Car worked great for about one month when the same problem crops up again. Back to the dealer, they call the Ford techs and they walk them through some type of soldering process between what they are saying is the instrument cluster and a circuit board. Car then works great for 3 months and the problem crops up again. Back to the dealer... they now fight with us for 2 weeks saying they are not going to cover the problem because they did what Ford told them. Corporate tells us and the dealer it is a workmanship issue and they will not cover! ARRRGGGGHHH!

So our service manager bangs on Corporate for one week and finally gets the approval to fix this under the part warranty for the cluster we paid for. I asked him specifically what went wrong and he says "the circuit board attached to the cluster". So the good news is they will pay to fix this. But I'm left confused and angry...

My questions are this:

1. Does anyone have any knowledge of the "circuit board" issue as it relates to the cluster? Obviously the cluster is a known issue, are these connected or both replaced usually?

2. Should I just sell my Freestyle after this repair? I know this is a tough question but I'm really starting to wonder if the car can be fixed ever! We love our Freestyle but this is getting ridiculous! We paid for the cluster replacement and this is now the 2nd repair after the fact for the same issue. Has anyone experienced a second or third failure such as this?

3. I was unable to find a thread explaining the process of replacing the cluster on the site. If anyone could post it on this thread I need to keep that option in my back pocket.

Thanks so much!

SteveC

Re: Please give me hope on my 2005 Freestyle instrument clus

Post by SteveC » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:53 am

Sorry cannot help you on the details, but I had my 05 replaced at 78k miles in October. I guess I was lucky it lasted so long, but then again it was not under warranty.

forswell

Post by forswell » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 pm

Just an update for anyone else looking for info:

Ford covered our repair under warranty (the one year warranty for the refurbished part, not the factory warranty), and we are hoping the car is fixed. We have decided to keep the car so wish us luck. Hoping we don't have the CVT or Throttle sensor issues next! (Knock on wood).

SGR 2005

Post by SGR 2005 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:41 pm

Assuming the problem is the cluster going blank, loosing power and then coming back on , yes I am familiar with that. it started right after i got mine with about 45k miles on it. Dealer wanted $500 to replace it. I looked up the TSB and did some internet searching and found the problem is related to a part on the circut board that cools slowly when soldered and fails the connection.

Its a small aluminum looking upside down bath tub shaped piece with 2 terminals out of it. if you rock it while looking at the back side you can see the posts moving. resolder them and its good as new. a bad solder job will eventually fail again. it took me less than an hour to pop out the dash cluster, locate the loose part and repair it. I found the repair instructions buried in another site somewhere.

leatherneckbiker

Post by leatherneckbiker » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:03 pm

SGR 2005 wrote:Its a small aluminum looking upside down bath tub shaped piece with 2 terminals out of it. if you rock it while looking at the back side you can see the posts moving. resolder them and its good as new.

Confirmed. The part is the oscillator. Resoldering cured the two fuel sensor codes as called out in the TSB as well as a problem where, when the cruise control was set, the idiot light that looked like a wrench would come on at the same time the traction control light would come on and then the transmission would get stuck in low gear.

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:15 pm

hi.

it would hugely enrich the site and spare others a lot of pains and $$$ IF you could post pictures of the procedure and the noughty "bathub" part on here.

thanks.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

finndawg

Post by finndawg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:52 pm

Wow! Thank goodness for the people on this page who figure out what is wrong and then tell us how to fix it! I have lost the lights behind the gas gauge and the other gauge right next to it. The needle still lights up but that is all. My idea on the Freestyle is that despite the cosmetics (bubbling paint on hood), paint peeling, throttle body, ball joint, end links, brakes, it has been a good car. One year to go on the payments and then if the CVT goes you will see it for sale for parts. I will buy an old POS for $1500 to drive to work. :lol:
2006 Freestyle AWD Limited
Cooper CS4 Tires
70,000 Miles
Awesome Mods: -Back Up Camera
-1/4" Hardware Cloth Rock Deflector In front of
Radiator

brmmcsers

Post by brmmcsers » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:56 pm

I am sorry that I can not help. I am interested in the "circuit board" issue, waiting for more experts to explain it.
You are so amazing, tere is nothing for you to change.
car camera recorder follows that making you and me closer

RussC

Post by RussC » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:49 am

I did the fix listed in here and posted the steps I took and a link to pictures... Look at Forum title: 2005 Ford Freestyle Still Not Fixed $1100 Later!
Russ C.
Maryland
2012 Focus... as of 03/24/2012... needed a commuter car for my wife.
2005 Freestyle Limited
2004 F-150 XLT 5.4L 4x2