If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

2006 Freestyle Limited- 2nd row, removing the center console

bainum2828

2006 Freestyle Limited- 2nd row, removing the center console

Post by bainum2828 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:00 am

Ok. So we have the 06 limited freestlye and it has the 2nd row bucket seats. There are nice seats that fold up and recline as well. We realy like them. However, we are expecting to have another baby in a few months and I want to make more room in the car. I have been told by my local Ford techs that removing the 2nd row bucket seats and installing a bench seat would entail tampering with the cars computer because of the different seat belt configuration. Anyway.. looking at even a used bench seat from salvage is 300 dollars, so I dont even realy wana go that rout.
I was thinking of just removing the center console between the 2nd row buckets. Then mabey configering some kind of seating of my own there at that center spot. I just need some creative Ideas of what to put back in there. Anything would be helpfull!!

pwschuh

Re: 2006 Freestyle Limited- 2nd row, removing the center con

Post by pwschuh » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:41 am

Yikes. DO NOT try to make your own seat. There is no way you can fashion something that will be safe. As for exchanging the two buckets for a bench, that is certainly possible and probably something you can do yourself if you are handy and patient. It seems like the worst that might happen is that you won't get a seatbelt warning light for the middle seat. Don't know what else it would be and that's what I would do if I was in your shoes. Spend the $300 and get a nice seat from salvage.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

JustBuryMeInMyFord

Post by JustBuryMeInMyFord » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 pm

DANGER Will Robinson.

Given the precious cargo that will be occupying that position, go the professional, or at least manufacturer approved route. If something were to happen, you would have some explaining to do, not to mention everything that would go along with it.

This coming from a guy who as a kid used to ride in the back of a pick-up truck.

Man, have we have changed or what?
JustBuryMeInMyFord
06 Freestyle Limited (present) New CVT at 118,000 miles.
03 Focus SE, 2 of them. (present)
69 Thunderbird Landau (past)
87 F150 4X2 (past)
80 Mustang Fastback (past)
74 Pinto Pony (past)

Shield39

Post by Shield39 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 am

No personal experience at all with swapping buckets for a bench but I've read many posts on the forum of folks wanting to swap one way or the other and I've never seen any mention of needing to tamper with the computer. Also, the general consensus seems to be that it is easy to do yourself.

I'll add a third voice to NOT making your own seat. The forces involved in car crashes are extreme and without a thorough understanding of these (and probably some advanced crash simulation software and testing) there is no way to make a safe seat. If I were you, I would begin by creating a post on this forum listing your general location and offering to trade your buckets for a bench. Who knows, you may find someone close enough to do a swap for free. If not, I think $300 is a relatively small price to pay if the seat is in good shape.