If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

How to turn off interior lights w/lift gate open at drive in

kezug

How to turn off interior lights w/lift gate open at drive in

Post by kezug » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:26 pm

I am at the drive in and have the radio on ignition to acc with lift gate open and I can not get the interior lights off! Help.

dadto3

Re: How to turn off interior lights w/lift gate open at driv

Post by dadto3 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:07 pm

The only way I've found to turn them off is to remove the bulbs (1 in the rear, 1 in the middle, and 2 up front.)

kezug

Post by kezug » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:07 pm

Un believable. I struggled and struggled at the drive in, finally giving up and having everyone sit outside so I could close all doors and shut off all lights.

Pathetic.

How could this have been overlooked?

familycircus

Post by familycircus » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:39 pm

This question has resurfaced again, so I will repost my answer to the ever illuminated interior lights.

OK, so heres the deal with the interior lights and the drive in movie theater.
Most drive in theaters broadcast the movie sound via radio signal, in order to listen to the movie through the FS speakers you need to have the key in the "on" position of the ignition. The battery saver feature will not turn the lights off with the key in the "on" position. I guess you could just bring a boom box and that would solve it. Otherwise this is what we have learned to do. Open the rear hatch, use your finger( if small enough) or the end of a screw driver and move the lock mechanism two clicks to the right. The FS will think the hatch is closed and locked. When the movie is finished BEFORE you try to close the hatch, unlock all the doors and manually squeeze the opening handle of the hatch.

Couple more things from experience:

1. completely turn off the climate control system or you battery will be drained

2. if you are staying for the second feature, run the vehicle during intermission

3. on the FS when the battery is drained the reverse lights and the headlights turn on for some reason and they can't be turned off without pulling the battery cables, so make sure to do #1 & #2 above.

Enjoy the movie!
2006 Freestyle SE -Two Tone (Titanium Green /Tan)

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:41 am

Wow. I'm just impressed you have a drive-in to go to.

I agree that the lack of way to switch off the interior lights with a door open was a major oversight in the design of the Freestyle.

kezug

Post by kezug » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 pm

FamilyCircus: Thanks!

06SELAWD

Post by 06SELAWD » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:45 am

familycircus, why do you need the key in the "on" position. Why not just the "Accessory" position?
Mike
'06 Freestyle SEL AWD
Silver Birch / Gunn metal cladding
'14 Chrysler 300; awd; 3.6L v-6
'17 Dodge Ram 1500 Big Horn crew cab
5.7L Hemi V-8 Oh Yeah!!
White
1970 VW Beetle
1500cc of pure power
Kubota bx2350

familycircus

Post by familycircus » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:28 am

Yes with the key in either "Accessory" position or "Run" position. You still need to "trick" the lock mechanism to keep the hatch open and the lights to turn off.

I guess I used the term "on position" because I'm just a little Old School as to when the "Accessory" position was to turn the key backwards. Though come to think of it, the last time I could do that was probably 3 or 4 vehicles ago now.
2006 Freestyle SE -Two Tone (Titanium Green /Tan)

Petertingle

Re: How to turn off interior lights w/lift gate open at drive in

Post by Petertingle » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently at a drive in theater and am having the same issue. However, I figured it out!! You have to trick your car into thinking the hatch is closed. You do this by pushing the mechanism in the door that latches up until you hear two clicks. Dont worry it isnt stuck like that. You just pull the door handle to release. Once you have done the two clicks. Lock the car and the lights turn off!! Hope this helps.

jas88

Re: How to turn off interior lights w/lift gate open at drive in

Post by jas88 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:56 am

However, I figured it out!! You have to trick your car into thinking the hatch is closed. You do this by pushing the mechanism in the door that latches up until you hear two clicks.
familycircus' instructions say to do that above, which was posted in 2010.

PRO TIP: When I do this, I always seem to forget that the latch is closed and I slam the tailgate against the closed latch, which one day is going to break it. To stop this, I pull a red bandana thru the door striker on the floor to remind me to open the latch before I close the tailgate.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth