If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

dash lights

Edk

dash lights

Post by Edk » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:36 pm

The backlight on the fuel gauge burned out.(57 thousand miles) I went to my local dealer that does all of my work, and was shocked at how much it would cost to have it replaced.... over $150.00.. The bulbs are 10 buck a piece and the only come in packs of 10..... this is rediculas!... So upset at this news, i tackled this one myself. To spare the involved removal process, you can find the bulbs at NAPA item# BP74 for $2.98 :)
82 vw diesel vanagon
01 focus wagon
06 limited freestyle

tucker

Re: dash lights

Post by tucker » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:33 pm

I ran into the same problem last month with my 95' Olds Cutlass. The dealer wanted $18 per bulb! Even the service writer at the dealer was sympathetic after he quoted me the price. He was happy to give me the part numbers and suggested I try NAPA. I was able to get them for only a couple bucks each. :P

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:57 pm

My 05 FS magically had 2 or 3 bulbs burn out right after getting the spark plugs replaced. Picked up the car, and the lights were out. I told the dealership, the lights worked FINE before I pulled in! Probably just a strange occurance, but at 10 dollars/piece (they allowed me to just get three), I didn't want to mess around with it. They reduced my price from 125 w/tax to 105 w/tax......
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

bwanda

Post by bwanda » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:07 am

Purchased 06 Freestyle Limited FWD 30 days ago. So far everything good. I do however have the same problem with my dash lights/ fuel guage not lighting up. Just barely comes on. Can someone tell me how to change this bulb or direct me to the information. Also what about the area around the gear shift, at night it does not light up, is it suppose to?

Wanda

p.s.
going to Napa for bulbs, thanks for the info.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:44 am

bwanda wrote:Purchased 06 Freestyle Limited FWD 30 days ago. So far everything good. I do however have the same problem with my dash lights/ fuel guage not lighting up. Just barely comes on. Can someone tell me how to change this bulb or direct me to the information. Also what about the area around the gear shift, at night it does not light up, is it suppose to?

Wanda

p.s.
going to Napa for bulbs, thanks for the info.
The area around the console shifter has the shift letters lit (PRNDL), and also a LED that lights next to the selected position.

IN terms of the bulbs, you remove the trim around the gauge cluster (2 screws on the top of the plastic surround) and then 4 bolts that secure the gauge cluster to the dash - bulbs just plug into the back of the cluster. Not sure of the NAPA part number - might be in another thread on the forum. Ford sells the bulbs for like $10 each....
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

WI05Freestyle

Post by WI05Freestyle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:16 am

Costs about 1 hour of labor anyway you cut it at a stealership........
03 Ford Explorer Limited V6
06 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
05 Ford Mustang V6

bwanda

Post by bwanda » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Thanks andysinnh for your help. For the gearshift console area, are bulbs needed for that area too or a fuse replacement? I will check tomorrow.

boondoggle

Post by boondoggle » Tue May 08, 2012 9:56 am

So how does one go about removing/replacing the light? This happened on my 2006 wifes freestyle. Lots of bulbs burning out already. Might make an afternoon of replacing them.

Thanks!
2006 Limited AWD Black
Tan Interior, No DVD, 2nd Row Bench Seat
~115,000 Miles

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Wed May 09, 2012 5:04 pm

............your 2006 wife? :lol:
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

boondoggle

Post by boondoggle » Wed May 23, 2012 7:02 pm

Oops! My wife's 2006.... :)

I guess we can just ignore it. I'm already ignoring so many other weird things on this car. The CEL comes on all the time for an unfixable 'gas cap' leak. Changed gas caps, tried everything. The dealer even smoked the fuel tank and still the dang CEL keeps coming on. Lights burned out on the headlight switch and now the fuel gauge. Heated seats stopped working. Lunging with the AC on. AC is not even cold unless the car is moving...

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my 2004 Toyota 4Runner. Nothing but maintenance/fluid changes. Still feels and drives like new.

Sorry to vent, just disappointed a bit in this vehicle. Never had a Ford before. My wife likes it though so we keep it. :)

Anyhow, back on topic. Is it required to remove the dash cluster to change this bulb? Anyone know where a write up might be?
2006 Limited AWD Black
~115,000 Miles

mrocks05

Post by mrocks05 » Thu May 24, 2012 5:01 am

I have not had any issues with bulbs except for a tail light that needed replacing but I can help with the ac problem. Search the forum for "scroll valve". It's $30 or something like that and really easy to replace. I had the same problem and just did mine over the weekend. Now it blows ice cold at idle.
2005 Freestyle Sel AWD
2009 Ford Expedition xlt

boondoggle

Post by boondoggle » Thu May 24, 2012 4:41 pm

Yeah thanks mrocks. I saw the scroll valve fix a while back. Just need to order one and make an appointment for my wife to take it somewhere where they can replace refrigerant as necessary. It's not a huge deal just seems like a bunch of annoying little things with this car (knock on wood nothing major goes out!).

Oh well, it's time for the annual TB cleaning and Power Steering flush anyhow to prevent surging and odd noises. We just leave the CEL light on all the time. haha. Autozone will check it and turn it off for us, but after the 3rd or 4th time going to the same place it's just bothersome and pointless. I liked this car when we first got it too...

I'll be replacing the brakes and rotors on it next week, maybe while I'm working on it, I'll see if there are some obvious screws on the cluster, see if it pops off and I can access the bulb easily. Reading around, the clusters on these things have some bad soldering and can start to just fail altogether, so honestly I'm not even really sure it's worth it or not. LOL
2006 Limited AWD Black
~115,000 Miles

Paul

Post by Paul » Mon May 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Don't know if this helps re dash lights, but we recently bought an 09 X. It's a Canadian version so has Day Time Running Lights. Noticed in daylight, if the parking or headlights are on, the front center dash panel lights are very dim. Turn off those exterior lights & they are then easily read. Had a similar problem with our 90s Honda Accord.

Focus Man, Focus.

Post by Focus Man, Focus. » Tue May 29, 2012 6:33 pm

My 08 X has an intermittent fuel gauge light. Sometimes on, sometimes not so much.
2008 Taurus X SEL
2002 Focus ZX5 (parted out)
Bunch of other cars not worth mentioning.

Currently building a '79 XS650. Dropped and stretched.

Rumble

Post by Rumble » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:54 am

andysinnh wrote:IN terms of the bulbs, you remove the trim around the gauge cluster (2 screws on the top of the plastic surround) and then 4 bolts that secure the gauge cluster to the dash - bulbs just plug into the back of the cluster. Not sure of the NAPA part number - might be in another thread on the forum. Ford sells the bulbs for like $10 each....
Thanks for this! Doesn't sound nearly like the nightmare I was expecting. A month or so ago, my temp gauge light burned out, and now the left side of my speedo. Maybe I'd better just change all the bulbs while I have the cluster out.

So glad to have this site, what a great resource! (well except for the Russian online dating ads that pop up, what's up with that? LOL)
RUMBLE (Nelson)
2007 Ford Freestyle SEL
2004 Ford Escape XLT
1968 Mustang GT