If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Drivers side seat heater repair and costs

rdguy2003

Re: Drivers side seat heater repair and costs

Post by rdguy2003 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:31 am

I checked all connections under the seat. The bottom pad has a 4 wire pin connector and the back has a 3 wire pin connector. Before i buy the pads I prefer to know which one is the problem. The connectors are all connected to each other fine and I see no breaks in the wire so it has to be in the pad itself where the connection has been broken.

A test proceedure would be handy if anyone has a service manual?

pistol64

Post by pistol64 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:06 pm

I tried to find a diagnostic flow chart with no success.
I also tried to buy a Haynes or Chilton book with no luck either. I went on a gut feeling and a lot of luck when I fixed my seat heater which is still working awesome. Also the Ford dealer kind of clinched it when they said that the heater pad is usually the problem and they have sold quite a few for the Freestyle line up. As well they had no records of the heater controller being sold or defective. I believe in most cases the plugs don't usually come loose but I suppose there is a slight chance it could happen I would lean on a blown fuse and check for that in case the wireing shorts out under the seat.

2008taurusxguy

Post by 2008taurusxguy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:22 pm

This was very helpful. My driver's side heated seat just went out. The indicator light comes on for a little bit at first then turns out. Since the light comes on even for a second, I know power is getting to the switch. And since the light stays on for a minute or so at first then will not turn back on except for a flicker, I expect that it is due to a short in the pad. Also, since it happend to me in the second season of operation and others are seeing the same thing Ford must know that the problem is wide spread and should recall the unit since an electrical short can cause fires and fires are not a good thing in the interior of an automobile. I will report back once I talk to the dealer. But given the information I found here, I can't justify paying the dealer to fix the manufacturer's bad design.

If anyone has any feedback from Ford about this I'd appreciate a note.
Thanks, Bruce Amato Vienna, VA

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:54 am

But given the information I found here, I can't justify paying the dealer to fix the manufacturer's bad design.
But don't you have an '08 vehicle? (I'm going by your user name.) Wouldn't it still be under warranty? Why shouldn't the dealer fix your problem under the warranty?

rdguy2003

Re: Drivers side seat heater repair and costs----FIXED

Post by rdguy2003 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:59 pm

thanks to pistol64 for your post, it helped. I checked the 4 pin connector under the seat closer to the center console side and had power when switching on/off the heater button. (check the outermost pins with a trouble light) I then disconnected the two halves and tested the outer pins on the heater pad side with an Ohmeter, and had no reading. (broken connection).

I bought the pad you suggested from CarQuest in Brampton for $58.99. I plugged it in first but it is hard to tell if it works that way so went ahead with the replacement. Pictures attached...

Easy to do following except for the hog ring part. I used the old ones and that worked better than the ones that cam with the pad. The pliers are crap too that come with the pad. Use needle nose pliers instead. Took me about 1 1/2 hrs to do it in my garage. The pads are exactly the same size. I also found them on Ebay but bought locally after looking up the dealers for the brand name site.

Merry Christmas everyone and may your buns stay warm this winter. :lol:

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:18 am

I have a 2006 Limited and I replaced the bottom pad but still no heat. Should I do the back one now?

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:19 am

I have a 2006 Limited and I replaced the bottom pad but still no heat. Should I do the back one now?

rdguy2003

Post by rdguy2003 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:07 pm

I would say check the connectors with an ohmeter to see if you have continuity before changing out the pad. If there is no continuity then you have a broken connection. You can test the bottom pad then the back pad to see the diffference.

good luck

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:54 am

I didn't check out my drivers bottom pad first just went ahead and replaced it. Still doesn't work. Then I checked the fuses and they are ok and back pad shows I have a completed circtuit so that it good too right? The switch on the console can be turned on to one or two lights but the seat just doesn't heat. All connectors are fastened and getting power.

What do I do now except take it to the dealer?

rdguy2003

Post by rdguy2003 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:38 pm

I would suggest testing the pad you replaced to make sure it is in good working order. Ohmeter for continuity would be my suggestion. Did you buy from a reputable source? Is there a warranty or exchange on it? It could be a bad pad.

kidfam

Post by kidfam » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:20 am

I bought it from Rock Auto

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:19 pm

Spam
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

LarryGB

Post by LarryGB » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:59 pm

If you haven't found out why, here might be some helpful circuit info.
FS Heated Seats.JPG
FS Heated Seats.JPG (62.74 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
fs heated Seats exploded.JPG
fs heated Seats exploded.JPG (47.38 KiB) Viewed 10043 times
Note that any power feed from the Heated Seat Module [HSM] passes through the heated seat cushion, then onto the heated back cushion, then to ground. With the control on high for the seat in question, using a gounded volt meter, follow the voltage from the module wiring to the seat feed [yel/lt blu] until you either loose it or [gry/lt blu] it divides across the heated seat sections. Be sure fuse 19 and 22 are OK. If wiring checks out [continuity, etc] then the HSM or the EATC may not be working.
2007 FS SEL FWD 280,000km loaded!

pistol64

Post by pistol64 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 pm

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
So here we go again, no heat on the seat and the Mrs. is not impressed

I think there is more to it than meets the eye, has anyone had round 2 of this problem. I would like to find a wiring diagram of the complete seat heat circuit. I replaced the heater yet again and the light comes on for about 10 seconds and then shuts off. it is the same with both the heater i put in a while ago and also the latest one. (plugged it in but not installed)

I also replaced the seat heater control module and still the same thing. I have spent over $200.00 in parts and still nothing. passenger side works well everytime.

Does any one want to jump in ?

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: please

Splicer

Post by Splicer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:43 pm

Bad relay or is that in the heater module?
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 302,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 260,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 125,000+ :mrgreen: