If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Drivers side seat heater repair and costs

pistol64

Drivers side seat heater repair and costs

Post by pistol64 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:45 am

Seat heater FYI and Repair Info
I purchased my 07 Freestyle in Jun of This year and all was going well until the Mrs. told me that the seat heater quit working. My previous car was an 06 Jetta bought in 05 (as I said previous never any problems with the seat heater)
After joining this forum (which was the most help in this problem) lots of great reading. I also learned through a Ford dealer in the Toronto area the part was $190.00 Cdn..... With more research through the dealer I was never told about any recalls but if the dealer was going to fix this then it would be very expensive e.g. part $190.00 + diagnosis and + labour to re-re heater. I figured that was a lot of cash but I was told that the dealer has never sold a seat heater module in 2009. But the parts counter admitted that they had sold lots of heater cores (pads). He also wasn't sure why some heaters sold for $50.00 - $60.00 and the freestyle was $190.00.

On to the repair I found it difficult at best to work on the plugs and wireing so I ordered the seat heater through Rockauto for $64.00 cdn the part arrived in about 4 days. I plugged it in and the problem was fixed. Installing the heater took about 1 hour, removing the previous one was about 45 minutes. The thing that was most noticeable was the indicator light would come on for a split second and then shutoff again. My diagnosis skills were not that thorough but the dealer also said they have not sold any seat heater modules this year always just the heater itself. I would also like to say that the Dorman seatheater pad from Rockauto appears to be much better quality than the factory one from Ford. I hope this was helpful. as I think the factory equipment in this case was very poor quality to quit in only 3 years svce.

jaunty75

Re: Drivers side seat heater repair and costs

Post by jaunty75 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:43 am

Sorry to hear of your troubles. One really quick and probably dumb question is, is your car out of warranty? Being only an '07, and this being '09, my first guess is that it has been in service less than three years. It could certainly have been put into service in the fall of '06 and thus be three years old, but I was just wondering. You say "three years of service" in your post. Is it exactly three years, or a little more or a little less? Of course, if could have more than 36,000 miles by now, too, and that would make the whole time thing moot.

pistol64

Post by pistol64 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks for your reply.
The information I have indicates the in service date as May 2006 also it is at 63000 km. I checked with a local dealer, who said 3 years and 60,000 km. I am not sure but does that mean the whole warranty is finished or is there still power train warranty ?

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:46 pm

You know, it's hard to believe that an '07 Freestyle would have been available as early as May of 2006. I bought my '05 in early June of that year, and there were no '06's available at that time.

This may sound like another dumb question, but are you sure you don't have a 2006 Freestyle and not an '07? Yes, certainly any vehicle with a 3-year warranty put into service in May 2006 is out of warranty by now. I think your car does have the 5-year powertrain warranty, but, unfortunately, heated seats aren't part of the powertrain.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:36 pm

jaunty75 wrote:You know, it's hard to believe that an '07 Freestyle would have been available as early as May of 2006. I bought my '05 in early June of that year, and there were no '06's available at that time.

This may sound like another dumb question, but are you sure you don't have a 2006 Freestyle and not an '07? Yes, certainly any vehicle with a 3-year warranty put into service in May 2006 is out of warranty by now. I think your car does have the 5-year powertrain warranty, but, unfortunately, heated seats aren't part of the powertrain.
My 07 Montego was built in May 2006, was delivered to the dealer in June 2006, and sat on the lot until I bought it in February 2008. 8)
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

pistol64

Post by pistol64 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:23 pm

When I bought it I was told it is an 07 Freestyle Limited all the bells and whistles. Also the carfax report said the car was delivered to a Hamilton dealer in May 06 and sold in May 06. My previous car was a 06 jetta delivered in may 05, it was probably built in March or April that year. Any way the seat heater from Dorman bought from Rockauto works much better than the factory heater, I know this because the Mrs. is back to loving her Freestyle again (my freestyle). :D
actually I don't work for either company but when a plug is due I don't mind helping out.

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:32 pm

When I bought it I was told it is an 07 Freestyle Limited all the bells and whistles.
It probably really is an '07, but just out of curiosity, what is the VIN, if you don't mind posting it? That would be definitive.

If you'd rather not post it, just go to this page and type it in and let us know what you find out.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/ ... efault.asp

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Interesting link. My 07 Montego is in fact an 07 Montego. :lol: And it's also the 73rd Montego built for the 2007 model year - sequence 0000073. Latest sheet from the dealer when I had warranty work done said build date 22-May-2006. Been a pretty decent vehicle for one so early in the model year.

andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:58 pm

My 07 Montego is in fact an 07 Montego.
Always good to know!

pistol64

Post by pistol64 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:06 pm

Thanx for the link it came back as a

Heater still works great, no glitches. 8)

ptrott

Post by ptrott » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:24 am

Hello all,
I bought a 2005 Freestyle Ltd. from a Toyota dealership this past July. It had 89,000 km on it. Since then, I've had a couple of issues: 1: FUEL LEVEL DATA ERROR - my gas needle drops to empty (even with a full tank) and the error message is displayed. Then, without warning, the message disappears and the needle returns to indicate actual fuel levels. 2: DRIVER'S HEATED SEAT NOT WORKING - the light on the switch is working just fine, but the heater doesn't work. Have there been any new posts in this topic?? I don't trust myself enough to start tearing the leather covers off my seat and disconnecting all the wiring in hopes of repairing it. Could it be something simple? I thought perhaps a fuse, but the passenger heater works just fine. In terms of dollars, what am I looking at if I brought it to a dealership (I live in Calgary)? If you have any insight into issue #1, that would be appreciated too.
Thanks!

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:28 pm

How does one interpret the production number and the build date?

rdguy2003

Post by rdguy2003 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:14 pm

My wife's 06 Freestyle has the same driver's no heat in the seat problem. I don't know if the seat or the seat back portion is the problem. What is the best way to test to find out? Stealership wants big money to fix it and I dont mind taking the seat cover off to replace the pad, but would like to know which one is the problem?

Thanks for the tips on where to get the pad, can anyone help on test proceedure?

klruff1

Post by klruff1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:24 am

I'm going through this dilema now. I bought the seat bottom heat pad from www.autopartswarehouse.com, around $50. Dummy me installed it without plugging it in 1st to see if it solved the problem. Spent the hour or so installing it only to find out it did not fix the problem. Pad was getting lukewarm at best with my hand directly on it. I decided to take the car to the dealership to have them diagnose the problem. They said they checked the system with their pinpoint checker, the seat back pad is the problem, the rest of the wiring checked fine throughout. Cost me $79 for the diagnosis. I would suggest you buy a seat bottom pad for $50, buy a seat back pad for $40 (found it on ebay), and test each one individually to see which one is the culprit, maybe both, then fix it yourself. If it's only one pad, hold the other as a spare for future or see if you can return it. Dealer wanted $400 to fix my seat back pad! I'm planning to order that seat back pad, TEST IT FIRST, then replace it myself.
Keith in NJ
2006 Freestyle Limited

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:43 am

Check under each seat first and make sure everything is securely plugged in. I had the air bag light staying on and it was just the wires were unplugged. You might be just as lucky as I was, maybe not, but it is worth a shot.