If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Heated Seat Repair Help

chaimav

Re: Heated Seat Repair Help

Post by chaimav » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:06 am

My driver's side heated seat just stopped working. If I press the button to turn it on, it times out after about a minute. After that it will not stay on at all.
Luckily my car has only 35,640 miles on it (whew, that was close) ... Saves me the deductable on my extended warranty.
Dealer was short-staffed this week, so I made and appointment for next week but ensured the work order was entered for the current mileage :)
2008 T-Rex SEL AWD

bells

Post by bells » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:26 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for the step-by-step breakdown. I just had to do this to my 08 TX, and it was infinitely easier than it would have been had I been flying blind. The job itself is straightforward, but knowing how many clips and connectors, and where they are, really speeds things up.

Done in about an hour, in the street in front of my house, with snow on the ground no less. I used two needle-nose pliers to pull apart the old hog rings and then re-used them, putting them back on with the pliers, too (the hog rings included with the new pad were flimsy crap--I switched to the old ones after using one of the replacements). I have to say, putting the first hog ring back on seemed like it took forever, but by the third or fourth it was very fast--it's just one of those things your fingers have to learn to do.

Again, many thanks for the info.

brh056 wrote:06 Freestyle
Installed new pad on Driver Side purchased from rockauto.com
Really not that difficult. You can replace by just removing the front and side leather.
1) Test new pad....

...and secure J-clips onto the seat.
9) Put cowling back into place. It will just pop back on. Don't forget about the little screw on back side.

Total time was about an hour, but the seat has heat again and I didn't pay through the nose to get it fixed. Not the most fun repair ever, but you will save a bunch of money if you can pull it off.

gaoutlaw07

Post by gaoutlaw07 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:38 am

I know this is an old post, but I have a new problem. The heated seat went out...but it wasn't the pad.

When the seat heater button is pressed, the light comes on for about 30 seconds and then goes off. I checked the continuity in the seat bottom heater and the seat back heater and there is continuity in both. Has anyone seen any other culprit besides the heater pads? I have a feeling it is the sensor, but I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem.

I included the wiring diagram for a 08 Taurus X. I checked continuity from gry/blu to yel/grn for the seat bottom and vio/grn to blk/vio for the seat back.
va282575.pdf
(16.16 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

steinman84

Post by steinman84 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:17 am

I would verify the from the seat mod to make sure your getting pwr. good gnd and indicators. may possibly be and issue in the mod.

Publius

Post by Publius » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 pm

In case I need to actually replace the heating pads, good information.

However, what would the recommendations be to begin troubleshooting this problem before I simply just start buying parts and trying to see if that fixes the problem? Buying parts I may not actually need is a waste of time and money.

My drivers heated seat in my 2007 FS went out a few weeks ago. When I press the button it only lights up momentarily until I release the button and then the lights go out on the button. I already verified the relay under the hood and the fuse under the steering wheel are both working.

Any advice on tracing down the problem much appreciated. I saw someone mention testing for resistance in the element but no details on what is an acceptable range for that or which pins to hit.

Thanks in advance.

barvic

Post by barvic » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:03 pm

This may help you:
I undertook replacing both the back and bottom heated seat pads today using the posts here. It is really not that hard. It did take about 3 hours going carefully teaching/working with my 12 year-old boy. It is WAY easier taking the seat out which is quite simple. I too used the Dorman 641-205 (bottom) and 206 back. Incidentally, the hog-clip pliers in them were very usable.... maybe they've improved them?

Publius, your post here actually helped me. I was unsure that in fact the pads were gone as they had been replaced by Ford once already 3 years ago. The old pads still had continuity just testing via their wires disconnected so was scared a busted wire or something worse in the seat wiring harness. I put the removed seat again back in through the back door and connected it back up swapping the relays to confirm it was not the relay control module as you pointed out (THANKS). When I did that the actual switch did the momentary on then off routine. I had NOT had that previously ...the LEDs would stay on just no heat whatsoever so that changed my symptoms. I then plugged in the new bottom pad (not installed) and reconnected the relay and powered up. The switch illuminated properly and the pad got warm. I think it necessary to unplug/replug the relay though to reset it???? I now knew there was no other issue like a snagged or busted wire in the seat harness and went ahead with the replacements.

Therefore I would conclude that your issue is probably simply the seat pads being bad. I would take a chance and do it and you may be surprised.

Also, I followed what another post stated simply putting these new pads on top of the old ones. I tried to peel the old one off but it does remove foam as I was concerned that there would be noticeable divots in the seat both visual and worse what if I could feel them! Perhaps the extra layer will protect against these filaments breaking? The seat feels a bit firmer but wonder if this is just my mind playing with me, very negligible. I do not mind that though.... prefer firmer seats anyhow.

So I again have heated seats! YEAH!

Cheers, Bruce
2006 Limited AWD Silver
2008 New Beetle Convertible

Publius

Post by Publius » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks Bruce. Funny my asking questions was a help to you :) I still am waiting to hear back about testing the pads. With Christmas I sort of forgot about working on this but now I'm needing to get back at it before winter is over!
Last edited by Publius on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

barvic

Post by barvic » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:24 am

Hey publius, sorry totally missed that. I used the outside wires to test continuity... seemed the only combination I could get any reading. If I remember it dropped to about .03 for me. However, the old one did the same too and that is why I started thinking something else. Given that this is so frequent a problem with these cars I would grab a new pad from dormans and plug it in. They're not that expensive mine were $90 canadian including shipping and taxes and I am sure someone here would buy them from you if you had other problems! :-)
2006 Limited AWD Silver

thumper

Post by thumper » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:54 pm

Used this post to help me change out the pad on a 2008 Taurus . was very helpful , thanks all for the tips posted ..used brh056 info the most
Biggest PIA was working with the hog rings .. ended up reusing the old ones and using needle nose pliers
$55.00 vs $400 .00 at the dealer ... bonus . I think I'll celebrate with a glass of rum ..Cheers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Publius

Post by Publius » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks guys, I used this topic as a guide and the replacement went perfectly. I can't stress enough to make sure and plug in the new pad FIRST to make sure it actually fixes the problem. I thought the hog ring pliers and rings that came from Dorman were just fine, they worked pretty well for me, I did think the replacement rings were rather soft/pliable compared to the OEM ones, but I doubt it will be an issue. It took me about ~2hrs including eating dinner halfway through 8)

EDIT: I left the driver's seat in the vehicle to try doing it without the pain of removing the seat. It worked fine for me sitting on a creeper stool in the garage, the height of my stool was perfect and I didn't have to remove the seat.
Last edited by Publius on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Freestyle Limited
2001 Jeep TJ 60th Anniversary Ed.
...and I run. A lot.

barvic

Post by barvic » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:59 am

Excellent to see this is helping. 2 years later and the seat is still toasty warm. No degradation in the foam or leather whatsoever. I also reused the old hog clips. Cheers agin, Bruce
2006 Limited AWD Silver

deweydomer

Post by deweydomer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:25 pm

Thought I would add my experience to help any future inquiries.
My driver seat had the same problem others described: seat heating switch would stay on for only a little bit and go off. After reading the previous posts, I went ahead and purchased both pads from Rock Auto, the cheapest place I could find. Got my seat out without too much difficulty. At least one other had mentioned doing this while the seat was in the vehicle. In my situation, that would have been very difficult. I found the connector for both pads and put an ohmmeter on them. They both measured about 2.5 ohms, so that told me nothing. I then hot wired a battery to each pad, and both of them seemed to warm up. Wasn't sure what to do at that point. I figured if one pad was bad, it was likely to be the bottom one. I replaced it, reinstalled the seat so I could hook it up, and found out it made no difference. Since I had the pad for the rear, I went ahead and replaced it. Put the seat back in and it worked fine. It may even be warmer than it had been.

Not sure why the ohm reading showed no problem. If you run into that as well, you'll know you're not the only one.

The leather on the bottom had about 12 hog rings holding it on. Removing and reinstalling those was probably the hardest part of the whole thing. I did what others mentioned, I removed the old ones with two pair of needle nose pliers, and reinstalled them the same way. I did not use the new ones provided, except for a couple. The seat back had velcro and hog rings, but only about half a dozen. I did not put the new pads over the old, but cut the old ones off by using a razor to separate them from the foam. This took a bit of time, and ended up removing a little foam, but seemed to work fine in the end.

Total time for me was somewhere between four and five hours.

Hope this helps those in the future with similar problems.

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:45 pm

Just used the info in this thread to repair the drivers front seat heater in my '08 Taurus X.
Thanks everyone for the info.
2008 TRex Limited AWD
255k+ miles and going strong.
All original drive train including PTU

pkthomas

Post by pkthomas » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:14 pm

I did our drivers side today. Took about 2 hours.
2005 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD
2010 Mazda 5 Sport manual transmission
2000 Ford Excursion 4WD 7.3 PSD

Bronto1

Post by Bronto1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:46 am

I have the same problem. Driver’s Seat light goes on for a second, then turns off. Passenger Seat works fine. This forum has some great info, and I will probably purchase the Rock Auto Heater Element and attempt the repair.

I was also considering replacing the cushion cover at the same time. Can you completely remove and reinstall the cover while the seat is in the vehicle?
2008 Taurus X Limited AWD