If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Gas Gauge Phenomena.

nbkcu33

Re: Gas Gauge Phenomena.

Post by nbkcu33 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 am

The same thing happened to my 2007 Limited within the first month I had the car. I do recall that there was a porblem with the gas pump. The pump would deliver about a gallon of gas then cut off. It took a while to fill the tank, and over a half an hour for the gauge to get to full. Since then I have not had that problem again.

Quatsino

Post by Quatsino » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:22 pm

'07 'style - noticed that the gas gauge goes up to 7/8's (quickly) and stays there until the "top 1/8" of the tank is used up and then proceeds to read correctly.

I always take the keys out of the ignition - so I don't get locked out or have my car stolen while I'm at the pump.

I have a long-standing habit with all my vehicles to let the computer self check cycle before starting. Many moons ago I had a vehicle where it was said that the wire to the MAF, Mass Airflow Sensor (in the air intake) had to heat up before sending a reading to the computer. This took about 3 seconds and the drill was to wait for that long. This has stayed my habit...
2008 Ford F150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4
2007 Ford Freestyle

rbteam

Post by rbteam » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:30 am

Is your car still under warranty? If so take it in NOW!!!! There is a known problem with the gas guage/sensors and the dealership will fix it for free. They had to do mine. I know mine was flucuating some and once when I was on empty I went to a gas station and put $15 in the tank. I started the car and it still showed I was on empty. After a trip into the gas station claiming I wasn't given gas-and then the gas station giving me an additional $15 in gas, my tank was still reading empty (when after $30 in gas it should have been right at full). I felt like a fool after that and called the dealer. The service manager said bring it in-it is known that they have this issue-along with a rear brake issue (they checked for it on mine though and I didn't have the rear brake problem). Dropped it off and within a few hours it was fixed-this was almost a year ago and I haven't had any problems with the gas guage again. Even if your car is out of warranty, because there was a service bulletin put out on it, they may still fix it for free. Good luck!

Towie

Post by Towie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:22 pm

i have been lurking on this great site trying to decide if the freestyle is for me or not. tonight i picked up my 2006 freestyle SEL and guess what - the salesman told me the gas gauge didn't work when he filled up the tank tonight. thank-you for the info on this site! the dealer says they have never heard of this porblem but i had, thanks to this forum. thank-you!

ytiger

Post by ytiger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 am

Just a followup. My gas indicator dropped to zero once for about less than a minute while driving and then back to normal. When I took my car in for the 20K service I mentioned this (and sure the slow climbing back up before) to the serivce manager and the outcome is they replaced both the sensors inside the gas tank.

Tjanae80

Post by Tjanae80 » Sun May 22, 2016 12:24 pm

My car is doing this. It read 76 miles to E . After putting $30 in, it STILL reads 76 miles to E. The gauge is VERY slowly moving, but not the mileage to E reader. I have no idea what's causing it. It just did this today so I guess I'll be at ford tomorrow getting it resolved.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Sun May 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Putting gas in with the key on can cause the slow movement of the gauge.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

jas88

Post by jas88 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:33 am

I have not read the entire thread so forgiveness please if this has already been said, but the gas gauge has a "buffer" built in to keep it from moving around too much as gas sloshes and moves back and forth between the 2 chambers. Now, it can figure out if you go from E to F in one shot when you fill up with gas and it will let the gauge jump all the way to F when you turn on the car. However, if you were to fill up and, lets say, at half a tank, you turn on the key and then turn it off (like you are checking the odo), when you get in (with the tank full), and take off, it's going to read 1/2 a tank. It will then *slowly* creep up to full over the next 5-10 minutes of driving (estimating here, never timed it) as it figures out the tank is really full. This is normal behavior.

This is the long-winded version of what mmsstar already said above me.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Jakksin

Post by Jakksin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:44 pm

I'm having positive phenomenon lol. I put in $30 and got 3/4 a tank. Showing 325 til empty. Just drove 202 miles across state, here's the funny part. It's showing 187 miles til empty lol. So I spent 138 miles traveling 202 miles, at half a tank my gauge stayed at 205 til empty for almost 50 miles. I'm averaging 27.3mpg. Is this normal for a 2005 awd??
2005 Freestyle SEL AWD :D
1998 Harley EVO 95th annv. :mrgreen:
2007 GSXR600! :twisted:

JimSmith94

Post by JimSmith94 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:17 pm

I only get 27 or so in my 2007 Limited 2WD when I'm driving on a flat highway (in Texas) at or below 65.

Sweets

Post by Sweets » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:35 am

The gas gauge problem is from the fuel pump. The fuel pump has a build in gauge and or level. That's what I was told. So to solve the problem you will need a new fuel pump. Thats what I was told. :D