If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Weird Window Tint Dilemma

AZ Freestylin'

Weird Window Tint Dilemma

Post by AZ Freestylin' » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Hi All,

I just got my windows tinted today (looks great btw). Its was about an hour over due so I called them to check the status and they told me they were almost done but while I was on the phone, the guy told me that there was a slight problem. The problem is with the rubber seal in the door that the window touches as it rolls up and down. Well with the Freestyles they have a rubber seal with a felt lining on the outside but the inside seal is only rubber without the felt. He told me this may scracth the tint and I should contact Ford to get the felt strips.

I called the dealer and they told me that come down at my convienence (which was immediately) and had the service manager look at the seal. He told me it was normal and it should not scratch any tint.

Wonder if I should pursue this more by contacting Ford directly and see if this will cause an issue or just let it ride and see what happens. Fortunately its hot enough here in AZ that I don't need to roll down the windows till maybe next fall but it does concern me.

Any thoughts or ideas?
Peter

05' SEL Norsea Blue / Light Gunmetal / Shale Cloth / FWD / DVD / Moonroof / Remote Starter and other cool things.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:31 pm

I would say wait and see what happens. You can't really worry about something that hasn't happened. Only time will tell.

Now to play devil's advocate.....

Why not get a warranty from the tint shop that states they use quality materials that they stand behind? I'm sure I read somewhere that there are differences in tint quality (and thickness maybe?).

AZ Freestylin'

Post by AZ Freestylin' » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:09 pm

Webmaster wrote:Now to play devil's advocate.....

Why not get a warranty from the tint shop that states they use quality materials that they stand behind? I'm sure I read somewhere that there are differences in tint quality (and thickness maybe?).
The tint shop uses SolarGard products and the one I got is a deluxe series with a lifetime warranty against defects (i.e. bubbles, discolor, etc) but it doesn't cover against scratches caused by the consumer. Hence if the film gets scratched (by the seal the shop told me might) , the shop won't cover and Ford probably won't either since its not a design issue.

Like you said, all I can do now is wait and see.

Defintely looks sweet with the tint job though.
Peter

05' SEL Norsea Blue / Light Gunmetal / Shale Cloth / FWD / DVD / Moonroof / Remote Starter and other cool things.

sharpcolorado

Expedition Felt Didn't Help

Post by sharpcolorado » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:58 am

I traded in a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer for my Freestyle Limited. The Expedition had felt on the inside, but a couple of windows had small scratches on the inside anyway.

I've looked at that Expedition's window for possible causes, etc. and now believe the felt may actually make the chances for scratching worse, because felt can grab and hold small gritty particles better than rubber.

You may be OK, but how about covering yourself for some degree of future relief by writing a letter to Ford about your concerns. Even if they don't respond, you've got some paperwork to trace your concern back to early 2005.

AZ Freestylin'

Re: Expedition Felt Didn't Help

Post by AZ Freestylin' » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:09 am

sharpcolorado wrote:You may be OK, but how about covering yourself for some degree of future relief by writing a letter to Ford about your concerns. Even if they don't respond, you've got some paperwork to trace your concern back to early 2005.
Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping it's not a big deal at all, but like you said, it's better to have something in case something does come up in the future.

Thanks.
Peter