If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

NEW 2008 Taurus X Owner

DavidL

NEW 2008 Taurus X Owner

Post by DavidL » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:15 pm

Hi Everyone,

Just purchased a 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL FWD last week w/ 89,000 miles for $4,000. It has 2-2-2 seating with second row console. It had the transmission rebuilt at 85k and everything runs great! Before I found the car on Craigslist, I had never heard of the Taurus X... I knew what the Freestyle and Flex were but not by this name! It has only been a week but I LOVE this car and your forum has already been very helpful. So thank you for all the great information!

Only noticeable issues for me so far:

The cruise control just randomly went out on me yesterday so I bought a new Cruise Control Cut-Out Switch and hope to install it tomorrow... fingers crossed that fixes the issue as I would have no idea what else would be the cause as it had been working great. Owners manual not very helpful on which/if any fuses could be related... Horn, brake lights, brake bulbs all operational and in working order!

The rear wiper fluid line was disconnected and kept coming loose every-time I activated the rear spray... seems others have/had this issue as well! I was able to electrical tape the connectors then apply some heat shrink and now it works great with none/microscopic leaking <--- could not think/find any better solutions as it was the 90 degree elbow in the back left corner of the engine compartment. Real pain to even fix it the way I did!

Goals for my T-Rex:
- Buy a 3 person bench from a junk yard to be able to increase capacity to 7 when needed!
- Trailer hitch

Any good advice for a new owner that you wish you had known when you first got your car?!

Fuzzball

Re: NEW 2008 Taurus X Owner

Post by Fuzzball » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi David,

sounds like our TRexs are twins. I had the same issue with the rear washer but it was just disconnected. plugged back on and works fine.

I had the wrench light come on and it would go into limp mode. This is not a trans issue, it's a dirty throttle body. After doing a tune up and cleaning the TB, I've not had that problem since.

I've got an issue with my radiator fan not shutting off right now. A work around is to pull fuse #7 (Red 50 amp I believe). I'm going to swap out the fan control module this weekend. Still 100° near every day here.

Finally, if you have to replace a front wheel bearing, make sure you pay attention to the magnets that control the ABS and Traction Control.

I hope yours is as good as mine has been.

Kevin
2008 Taurus X SEL - Merlot and Silver
1986 Buick Grand National
1966 Glassic Model "A" Phaeton

DavidL

Post by DavidL » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:08 am

That is awesome Kevin! Thanks for the info!

Fuzzball

Post by Fuzzball » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:18 pm

Just FYI, I replaced the Fan Control module and it corrected my problem. 30 minute job. I'll be working on my Traction Control this weekend, if it fixes the issue, I'll let ya'll know.
2008 Taurus X SEL - Merlot and Silver
1986 Buick Grand National
1966 Glassic Model "A" Phaeton

scudrunner

Post by scudrunner » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:06 pm

My wifes steering wheel lights were off for awhile and eventually her cruise stopped working. When her horn stopped working also she finally had enough, can't drive without a horn. Found out that it was the clockspring in the steering wheel that went bad..replaced that and all was well with the world. If it comes to that for you pm me for the details although there are some on this site. Good luck.