If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Wrench Light!

LimitedX

Wrench Light!

Post by LimitedX » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 am

Hi,

A few nights ago, completing our Great American Roadtrip 2019 (3,000 miles over 10 days) - on the last three hour stretch home the 2008 T-X wrench light came on. No check engine or traction control light. The T-X has 145,000 miles on it. The car locked out the top gear (I think, based on RPM's) but the car ran ok for about 30 miles until we got home.

Started it up the next day, no lights, works fine.

I did have it in the shop before the trip and they topped off the fluids. Today I checked the tranny fluid with the engine cold, and its above the Max Line on the dipstick. Cold. So its overfilled a bit.

Would too much tranny fluid in the system cause the wrench light, or do you think I have a bigger problem?

No codes I could find in the car, I think codes clear when wrench light goes away. Anyone have much experience with the wrench light?

Thanks.

D

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Wrench Light!

Post by Webmaster » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:14 am

Did you use a known good scan tool that has read the codes on your car before? It's possible the code is not in history.

Given the multitude of trans problems with these vehicles it's not reassuring that you may have a transmission problem... :|

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:49 am

Yes it can......the fluid level should not be above mark when cold....when the fluid reaches operating temperature it increase its volume even more and the fluid pressure from the pump is increased as well, plus the fluid starts to become foamy.
Take some of the fluid out and take a longer drive, if you are lucky you did not damaged anything.

LimitedX

Post by LimitedX » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:56 am

So I've done a little research. Wrench light could be thrown by something in the tranny, but also by something in the throttle body.

I'm going to ignore the throttle body for now. And this weekend I'll do a fluid drain and fill. I have done this a few times, and its been about 25k miles since the last drain and fill. I figure now I'll know the right fluid is in, at the right level, and then take it for a few hours drive sometime.

At the very least, for low cost I'll have either solved it, or eliminated the fluid and fluid level as a cause and look elsewhere.

D

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:37 am

If you don t use a pump only 5L come out, just replace 5l take a trip and after one week do a change again with another 5l, make sure you use original Ford transmission fluid.....and please return here and let us know how it went.

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:02 pm

2008 T-X

LimitedX

Post by LimitedX » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:54 am

Allright, the weekend is over. I did do a quick drain and fill of the fluid, and now its at the right level. I didn't get an hours long drive in, but did drive it off and on all weekend and no problems. Really its too early to tell. The fluid that came out looked ok, I hope it was simply just a matter of too much fluid in the case. Time will tell....

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Well pray :) .....and if in one month you have no issues you are in the clear....you should test it do for an hour at least on highway at a constant speed 60-70mph or 100-120kph to make sure the pump is ok.

Fuzzball

Post by Fuzzball » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:12 pm

I was getting the wrench light fairly regularly. The transmission would go into limp mode until it was restarted Some days it would be fine the whole day, others it would light often.

I then had a problem with one of my coils, so I bought all the parts to do Plugs and coils. This includes removing the intake in order to reach the plugs up against the firewall. (The bad coil was on Plug #5). I completed the tune up, did a cleaning of the Throttle Body, and the engine ran great. The work was performed with 148k miles and today it has 155k. It's been 120 days and I've not had any wrench lights. I've not really checked the trans fluid level, the trans is working perfectly.

Check the throttle body, it's a LOT easier.
2008 Taurus X SEL - Merlot and Silver
1986 Buick Grand National
1966 Glassic Model "A" Phaeton

LimitedX

Post by LimitedX » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:59 am

Hi,

Update - we still have not had an opportunity to drive it for an hour straight on the highway. However we have not yet had any additional wrench or check engine lights yet. We have done 20-30 minute highway speed runs without any problems. The hard part is that usually if we are driving 1+ hours somewhere, we need to get there so we haven't been using it just in case the lights light up.

I have researched a little and saw things about the plugs and coils. All six plugs were replaced with Motorcraft plugs about 35,000 miles ago. I did keep the original coils, however. So that's always a possibility. Its also a possibility that the incorrect fluid level was the problem. Its probably safe to say this vehicle's cross-country roadtrip days are over, however it could probably still serve us well as a local secondary vehicle. We really only need one vehicle anyways, our second car averages 3,000 miles or less per year. So it could have a lot of years of life left at minimal miles incurred.

I really hoped to get 200,000 miles out of the vehicle......55,000 miles to go. That would be a few years in cross-country driving duty - but not sure we trust it for that anymore. So, will it make it?

D

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:45 pm

There is no reason not to use it crosscountry if worked well for a while, those engines and transmissions are one of the best....besides the water pump in engine crap.
My steering rack just failed a few months ago after over 300k.

MrBugatti

Post by MrBugatti » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:38 pm

If the transmission still does the same thing after changing the fluid I have a strong feeling it's the tss and oss sensors.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:07 am

You are correct, it is/was a common issue, still way better than a transmission failure.

Fuzzball

Post by Fuzzball » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 pm

Before you start changing parts, please, clean the Throttle Body. Sounds too simple, but it's what worked for me.
Driving and all of a sudden you hear a THUNK, the wrench lights up and you lose power. Shut it off, restart and everything is fine. put up with it for 2-3 months, but once I did the cleaning, it's been fine for almost 10,000 miles. Seriously, give this a try.
2008 Taurus X SEL - Merlot and Silver
1986 Buick Grand National
1966 Glassic Model "A" Phaeton

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:39 pm

I could be wrong but I believe the transition should be over went stopped for a while. The upper half of the torque converter would drain back into the pan. It is held in place by the rotating engine.
Check it with the engine running and the transition at running temperature. On the Free style, it requires some tricky maneuvering of the MAP air tube and connections.
Dwight