If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Wont switch to defrost

trexified

Wont switch to defrost

Post by trexified » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:55 pm

I know actuator can go bad but mechanic says he cant move the door with a screwdriver. So the complete what i would call the blend box needs replaced. Has anybody ever heard of this happening? He says the dash will have to come out. Book says 6 hour repair! Is there an easier less expensive repair? Just a kid car so inconvience isnt a problem but he needs defrost. If there was any way to turn it into a manual 5 min switch beteewn vent and defrost im ok with that.

Thanks Trexified
"Nothing is more permanent than a good temporay fix!"

spy1309

Re: Wont switch to defrost

Post by spy1309 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:51 pm

Does the airflow comes only from front vents no matter what you select?
If yes it is the actuator motor.
Try to run the diagnostic for the climate control is a combination of buttons I forgot it search here on forum it will give you a fault code.

trexified

Post by trexified » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:08 am

Yes he said motor is bad, but he said if he puts a new motor in it it will just break beacuse the actual door is being bound up. I had him set door to half defrost half floor. Should be good for the seven mile trek to school each day. I was wondering if anybody ever had the door itself go bad. His quote was 800 to pull dash and install new box with new door. OUCH. I figure this should get me through till next winter might have to do something by then. We have alot of deer here so who knows when one will jump out and get you. Dont want to spend money on something that i can get along to get along. As long as its not creating an unsafe condition Im happy.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:35 am

No door being stuck is not a common issue, for sure what you did is not creating any safety issue.
My wife X at this point blows air only from front vents , no defrost or floor vents....it is to cold to work on it so I am waiting for the spring.
In your case I think the gears moving the door are stuck not the door per say.....is there any room to spray some WD 40?

trexified

Post by trexified » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 pm

My mechanic said he stuck a screw driver in the hole where motor drive would go and it was difficult to get door to move. Thats why he didnt want to just replace motor he felt it wouldnt help and just break again. I am thinking I should probably have another mechanic look at it. I appreciate that he just didnt stick a motor on it for it to break again but I also wonder if replacing the entire door box would provide more work for him. That would really dissapoint me. But not totally unheard of. Does the door swing pretty free in there? Or does it give a lot of resistance?

Thanks

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:29 am

You need quite a bit of torque to move the door.....the reason the motor gets broken is that the teeth and linkages are plastic and that plastic ages, given the torque needed they break.
I will say take the risk and replace the motor is only $40 or cheaper on ebay.