Rear Suspension Repair... and a Noise

LimitedX

Rear Suspension Repair... and a Noise

Post by LimitedX » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:27 am

Hi there,

So - I certainly undertook a big job this week. Yesterday, I pulled and replaced the rear shocks and coil springs in the back of my AWD '08 X. First side took FOREVER, but once I figured it out the second side went quicker. Both coil springs were broken, and both were compressed. I think I gained about an inch or more of height (which is a good thing, the tailgate doens't hit my head anymore when open, like back when I first bought the vehicle).

I would call this project a big job, and a partial success. After completing the job, I had one chassis nut on the trailing / control arm that broke its weld, and spins, I can't get it torqued down. Also, when driving, I have a noise like something is loose in the back.

So, now its at the shop for an alignment, to secure or replace that loose bolt / nut, and to find out what that suspension noise is. Best case, I still come out ahead on the labor. Worst case - I should have let the shop do it all because of the problems........time will tell.

What is your experience with fixing the back end suspension?

D

Meteorite

Re: Rear Suspension Repair... and a Noise

Post by Meteorite » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:36 am

I have no answer for you, but I’m going to be doing a similar repair shortly. My TX has a broken spring on the rear left, which became apparent after a 450 mile drive for Thanksgiving. How easy was it to find parts? I spoke to a mechanic at our destination and he had trouble finding them other than through a Ford dealer.

LimitedX

Post by LimitedX » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi,

I got my shocks, Ford / Motorcraft OEM from Rock Auto.

I got the coil springs from Tasca Parts. I didn't find any rear coil spring options, and Tasca was way cheaper then my local dealer.

I did get the new rear rubber mount, where the coil springs meet the unibody - they were about $15 each side and did NOT come with the shocks or springs - I'd recommend that mine were in so-so shape after 140k miles.

Hope this helps.

airlinepilot

Post by airlinepilot » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:24 pm

Mine is a fwd, so the rear suspension is slightly different. I have a broken weld too on this trailing arm nut. It has been like that for the last 2 years maybe with no consequences or noises. (My guess is that you had a hard time lining up that trailing arm to put the bolt back in...)

I know you probably didnt remove it during this job but have a serious look at the rear end link-kit. They might be your smoking gun. They tend to go fast on this car.

Maybe if you could describe when excatly you ear the noise in the back we could help you pin-point it.

LimitedX

Post by LimitedX » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:59 am

Hi,

OK here is the verdict.

1) Lower Control Arm bolt - I was trying to loosen it to get a little more play to mount up the new shock - and the bolt seized in the nut. I couldn't get the nut to go in (tight - to torque it back since it did loosen some) or out (any looser). I just drove it to the shop that way and they cut and replaced the bolt and nut for less then $50.

2) The noise was a loose nut on the top of the shock strut. When I would try to tighten it the entire shaft would spin, so the nut wasn't getting all the way tight. Shop tightened it down for free when doing the bolt.

So in all, I came out ahead on the labor. Parts were ~ $375 for motorcraft shocks and coil springs, and NAPA coil spring top rubber (where the spring meets the unibody). The shop quoted me $1,000 or so for them to do the job.

Overall it was a success. I don't see how it could be a one-man job to reassemble the suspension - I needed someone in the back of the car, telling me when the stock shaft was lined up with hole to slide it up and through, and then they could start the top nut.

Link for Tasca Parts rear coil springs - at $118 per spring - https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/fo ... wtdjYtZ2Fz

Overall - it was a success. Even with the broken bolt. And the car rides better now too.

D