PTU, Suspenion, Brakes = Dropping Some Money on the T-X

LimitedX

PTU, Suspenion, Brakes = Dropping Some Money on the T-X

Post by LimitedX » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi all,

Its been an expensive summer. Our T-X has 133,000 miles on it, and the suspension is beginning to show its age.

Last week, in our home garage I replaced the front brakes / rotors and a caliper that was squeaking. Also did front wheel bearings (noise) and front struts. Took roughly 8 hours or so with tool runs and lunch breaks.

Took it to shop B, got an alignment after the garage work, and they noticed transfer case / PTU fluid that appeared to have overflowed the vent tube. When they checked the tube - they found metal. Since Shop A had just replaced the fluid 6 months / 8k miles earlier, I pulled the receipt and looked up the BG Fluid description they used. Sure enough, Shop A used too light a fluid (75w-80) although they did note a small leak from a seal (but did not recommend any repairs).

I talked to Shop A about the incorrect fluid. They replaced the fluid for free, and sent a sample for testing - fluid rep said the old fluid was so bad it wasn't worth testing. So Shop A has provided me with 2 options. Option 1 is to get a used PTU installed for free with a 6 month warranty, or a new PTU installed with free labor, parts on me, Ford's 2-year warranty on the PTU.

I chose Option 2 and ordered the part today.

So - what do you think? Did the incorrect fluid for about 8k miles cook my PTU? Or was it on its way out, and the shop got unlucky? Do you feel the resolution is fair?

And most importantly, what can I do on the new PTU to ensure it will last another 130k (or more) miles?

D

pwschuh

Re: PTU, Suspenion, Brakes = Dropping Some Money on the T-X

Post by pwschuh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:55 am

I'd say the shop definitely owes you the work. Even if it was "on its way out," the wrong fluid certainly hastened its demise.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

LimitedX

Post by LimitedX » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 pm

So,

New PTU installation occurred today. Dropped off car at 7:30am, got a call it was done just before noon. Everything went in smooth - I'll pick it up to drive it around soon and know for sure. I am hopeful.

Shop mentioned that the new Ford PTU comes as a "sealed unit" meaning its prefilled with the right fluid already - I found that interesting and somewhat reassuring (I think).

I look forward to many future years of service out of this car. Its perfect for our family, has been reliable, and even with the large repair and maintenance bills lately, its nothing out of the ordinary for a car with 133k miles -so hopefully we have an investment for another many years of reliability after this years investment. Time will tell.

D

RVAFreestyle

Post by RVAFreestyle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:15 pm

I'd say you should have gotten more than the labor, you should have gotten the part at their cost if not on their dime.
ASE Master Tech L1, X1, A9
ASE Master Collision Repair Technician
ASE Parts & Collision Estimator Certified

2010 Expedition, 2005 Freestyle, 1999 Explorer Sport, 1997 Mustang GT