SelectShift upgrade for TX?

Sporktek

SelectShift upgrade for TX?

Post by Sporktek » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:17 pm

A little background: years ago I did an AutoStick upgrade on a 94 Dodge Intrepid. Autostick as a feature was released in 96, within the first generation Intrepid production run, and prior to OBDII, so the upgrade is trivial. The transmission is a mechanically identical electronically controlled unit and at minimum the upgrade involved changing only the transmission control module and adding wiring and a pair of switches. "Neater" upgrades involved changing the selector lever assembly and the instrument cluster, but you could get AutoStick function with nothing but the TCM and switches.

Ford has had their version, SelectShift for some time now and I'm wondering how possible a similar upgrade would be.

I'm certain that the transmission theory of operation is the same, that is, the Ford 6T/6F is considered an electronically controlled transmission.

SO... at least from a mechanical standpoint, there's nothing that *prevents* "manual" operation. What would determine the possibility of such an upgrade would be whether or not the Taurus X/freestyle or any "compatible" vehicle (flex?) had as an option SelectShift.

It is conceivable that ALL Taurus X PCMs have the functionality, and the appropriate pins, but they simply aren't used on non-equipped models and trivial upgrades are all that would be required. A shifter, harness and bezel, for instance. Alternatively, a PCM swap may also be necessary, and may come with all the programming headaches that you'd expect but may be overcome by a reflash at a dealership.

Thoughts?

Sporktek

Re: SelectShift upgrade for TX?

Post by Sporktek » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:22 pm

Also, inb4 "I've never researched this but it can't be done because it's a totally different transmission unit." It isn't. For that, I offer this addendum:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM-Ford ... ansmission

The Taurus X utilizes the GM-Ford 6T transmission and it is shared with vehicles which DO electronically support manual operation, such as the 2008 Chevy Equinox Sport (of which I'm very familiar). So, the unit itself is certainly capable.

Sporktek

Re: SelectShift upgrade for TX?

Post by Sporktek » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Second addendum: "SelectShift" may not be the proper brand name to use here. What I, of course, mean, is any generic "manually shifted automatic" scheme. Not necessarily the dual dry clutch automatically managed manual transmission that is the "Ford SelectShift".