Taurus X owners with high miles speak up! :-)

Generic1

Re: Taurus X owners with high miles speak up! :-)

Post by Generic1 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:30 pm

I realize this is old, but wanted to thank spy1309... I went with Motorcraft, problem solved! Thanks so much!
2008 Taurus X Limited AWD - 250k+

mattz

Post by mattz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Same symptoms in an '09 Taurus (3.5L DOHC). 45mph+, low RPM, esp. under load (going uphill or accelerating), got what felt like misfiring -- thump-thump-thump. Could happen just once, or maybe three times in a row. Never got a code for it.

Read this thread, thought it must be the plugs (currently 127K miles, purchased car at 50K and current plugs are Platinums, with a service life of 60K max, so they're overdue). My symptoms are exactly the same as the four (?) other folks here who solved the problem with new plugs.

So, took the car into the shop and got the same talk. Mechanics said I was wrong -- it was the transmission and said just to keep driving it. So I took it home and did the darn plugs myself. Bought 6 AutoLite XP (iridiums) and stuck 'em in. About two hours of work. Took it for a few drives and went through the motions, getting it down to 1100rpm and surprising the poor Taurus with an abrupt accel, and trying to get it to chug at low RPMs going uphill.

It hasn't done it yet. The plugs appear to have been the fix.

So I registered on this forum literally just to say thanks, and to raise the tally to FIVE people who solved this problem with a 3.5L DOHC with just plugs.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 pm

Congrats......as you see amateur mechanics know more and better than so called "professionals"......of course they wanted to charge over $2k for a transmission replacement