Taurus X owners with high miles speak up! :-)

dniall

Re: Taurus X owners with high miles speak up! :-)

Post by dniall » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi, Im new here. Just bought a 2008 Taurus X with 178000 miles. I was wondering if any of you had maintenance tips.
Car runs great, except for vibration when braking at speed....warped disc maybe?
Thanks

dniall

Post by dniall » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi, Im new here. Just bought a 2008 Taurus X with 178000 miles.
I was wondering if any of you had good maintenance tips, or things to watch out for!
Car runs great, except for vibration when braking at speed....warped disc maybe?
Thanks

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:21 pm

The car model is pretty solid depending how was maintained or driven.....just do the regular oil changes, transmission fluid changes, air filter changes , spark plug changes and you will be good.

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:59 pm

I agree with spy 1309 and have done the same with mine as well as a few PTU fluid changes as mine is AWD. Current mileage is a little over 250k miles and it is still a smooth riding auto with lots of life left. :-)
2008 TRex Limited AWD
255k+ miles and going strong.
All original drive train including PTU

Eulas

Post by Eulas » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello,

I just hit 182k km with my 2008 Taurus X Sel and i own it from about 5 years. Since i purchase it i changed 2 times the front link kit, the tie rods and now i have purchased both front control arms and i'm preparing to change them asap. Normally is my wife car, but i use it once per 2 weeks. Last week when i took it to a ride, after a Stop, when accelerating i heard some sounds under the hood (like diesel motor sound). The sound didn't took more than 2 sec and is random (doesn't happen all the time). Went to my mechanic to ask him about, and he told me is a joint plate between the transmision and engine and sent me to dealer for repair.
Does anyone experienced something like that?
Regards,

atetraxx

Post by atetraxx » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:10 pm

spy1309 wrote:Just change the spark plugs and you will be good.....now depending of how long you drove the car like that lets hope you didn't fried a coil.....anyways they are around $40.
Most likely the spark plugs were never changed......100k is the limit ....where are you in Canada?
Im in midwest USA. I've drivin the car for about a year like this. I've just been putting premium in and it doesnt sputter. I am going to attempt to change the plugs this weekend. Will i be able to visually see if the coils are fried?

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:45 pm

There are typically no visual signs to look for when inspecting a coil. Since premium gas has smoothed it out I suspect the coils are still ok.
2008 TRex Limited AWD
255k+ miles and going strong.
All original drive train including PTU

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:57 pm

Actually you can ... a bad coil will have one large or small "hair crack" with charred edges, the extreme heat will crack the epoxy housing......you might need to clean the coil and use a magnifier glass to check for cracks.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:05 pm

atetraxx wrote:
spy1309 wrote:Just change the spark plugs and you will be good.....now depending of how long you drove the car like that lets hope you didn't fried a coil.....anyways they are around $40.
Most likely the spark plugs were never changed......100k is the limit ....where are you in Canada?
Im in midwest USA. I've drivin the car for about a year like this. I've just been putting premium in and it doesnt sputter. I am going to attempt to change the plugs this weekend. Will i be able to visually see if the coils are fried?
The 3.5 l engine does not require premium gas nor has a high compression pistons.....what you are doing with premium gas is just masking a problem.
The only difference in premium gas compared with regular is more antiknock compounds and in some big names ( for ex Shell ) more detergents for cleaning up injectors.
The high octane gas is a slow burning gas to resist detonations and preignition in high compression engines ex turbo cars and sports cars.......in a regular engine it will actually reduce performance as it will burn slower.
You still have to get to the bottom of your issue before even the premium gas will not save you......for ex excessive carbon buildup on the top of the pistons will increase piston compression ratio or heat up the top of the piston till preignition and detonation will occur.....this is a big issue that can be masked by using premium gas and it does not mean at all that your problem just.....disappeared.

Generic1

Post by Generic1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:51 pm

New Taurus X owner here. Bought on Tues, took on small road trip today. Seems to have the spark plug issue (hopefully). When we test drove, had our mech check out, no issues. But since have noticed a "chug" that has slight jerk to it at 45-65 mph or so. It seems to occur when in OD, and lightly accelerating.

Can anyone better describe what the bad plug issue feels like? I am checking the maintenance records at the dealer tomorrow (dealer has records since mileage 11, all the way til now at 230k) for last change of plugs. Love the car, but a little nervous now

*Service Mgr at Ford Dealer (not where I bought the car, but where it had been purchased/serviced since new) said there had never been major repair, and that the upkeep was impeccable, textbook. He was really impressed when he went over its history with me..
2008 Taurus X Limited AWD - 250k+

Generic1

Post by Generic1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:20 pm

Real quick, if I am going to change the plugs
- NGK G Power vs Motorcraft?
- reuse upper manifold gaskets?
- buy new coil boots?
- torque on upper manifold necessary?

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate any help
2008 Taurus X Limited AWD - 250k+

gsally

Post by gsally » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:05 pm

> - torque on upper manifold necessary?

10Nm

atetraxx

Post by atetraxx » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:58 pm

spy1309 wrote:....this is a big issue that can be masked by using premium gas and it does not mean at all that your problem just.....disappeared.
Fully aware that we were only masking the problem. This week it went into failsafe mode twice. I turned the car off and back on and it was back to normal. So I figured I should finally get around to changing the plugs, (much easier than anticipated). Its only been a day but we put mid grade fuel in and the sputtering has seemingly disappeared!

Haven't had a failsafe mode again but I have a feeling that it didn't fix that issue.

I'm seeing lots of freestyles with the throttle body issues and I hope it's just as simple as that. I'm dreading that it is a valve body or worse. My transmission hasn't shown signs of failure. Hopefully I can get a code if it happens again. I had my pro-lube guy read check for codes last time and he found nothing. I may attempt to clean the throttle body this weekend.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:48 pm

Well Freestyle throttle body is different than the one from Taurus X as they are 2 different engines......I am not aware of any issues with throttle body in Taurus X.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Generic1 wrote:Real quick, if I am going to change the plugs
- NGK G Power vs Motorcraft?
- reuse upper manifold gaskets?
- buy new coil boots?
- torque on upper manifold necessary?

Sorry for all the questions, but appreciate any help
Always go with OEM parts when you have a chance ....from factory they come with Motorcraft....I went with NGK as they were cheaper here in Canada than Motorcraft...if you are in US you won t get gauged.