Taurus X owners with high miles speak up! :-)

Rapid413

Re: Taurus X owners with high miles speak up! :-)

Post by Rapid413 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:12 am

pwschuh wrote:
spy1309 wrote: Also if you transmission starts to "buck" at 45mph or 70kmh especially when you go on an incline don t think the transmission is dead, its the sign that you have to change spark plugs ( they starts to mis )

This is an interesting theory. If the engine is misfiring, normally that would set off the check-engine light, wouldn't it? (or at least, store some codes?)
I am having this problem in 6th gear, usually at RPMS lower than 1850, and usually on inclines where low RPM load is applied (more gas pedal is used). My T/X has 137,000 miles. Bought it with 133,000 miles recently. I love it, I'm just hoping for some confirmation on the spark plug diagnosis of the hiccupping transmission.

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:19 am

Yours sounds exactly like old plugs misfiring. How many miles on concurrent set?
2008 TRex Limited AWD
255k+ miles and going strong.
All original drive train including PTU

Rapid413

Post by Rapid413 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Good question. I really have no way of knowing. I bought it through a dealership. What I do know is that it was a fleet vehicle. I'don't be willing to bet that it has the original, from the factory plugs in it. I'm just hoping that the coils are still in good shape.

08trex awd

Post by 08trex awd » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:22 am

08 t-rex awd. 172,000 miles on original drivetrain. Replaced a battery, wheel bearings, and a awd seal. That's pretty much it besides brakes and a belt. Great car. Used mobil 1 full synthetic since 52000 miles. Very little oil consumption. Oil changes every 7k.

madmatt2024

Post by madmatt2024 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:51 pm

My mother's 2wd Taurus X has 185K miles and she's owned it since it was 2 years old with 78K. I've done all the maintenance on it according to Ford's recommendations. At about 172K it developed the transmission buck/jerk that spy1309 mentioned. We brought it to our local mechanic who I also work for as a mechanic in training. One of the guys ID'ed it has a torque converter shutter/slip after driving it while watching live data on the scan tool. After some research he was pretty sure it was due to valve body wear. Unfortunately, nobody sells a rebuilt valve body for the early version of this transmission. We settled for putting the Sonnax Zip Kit in the valve body and it fixed the problem. However, according to my mother the problem started to return about 3 days later. That was about 6K miles ago and while it isn't as bad as it was originally the problem is still there. I tried changing the fluid again and adding Lubeguard Shudder Fixx but its still there. If I had to do it over I would have changed the fluid the moment she got the car and every 60K miles after instead of the 120K mile interval Ford recommends. I'm planing on replacing the spark plugs for the 2nd time as they are due and would be vary happy if it fixes the issue.

Aside from this its been a vary reliable vehicle that gets fantastic gas mileage for its size, 25-27 MPG on the highway isn't out of the question. Aside from the transmission and usual wear items its had the passenger side axle replaced due to a clicking CV joint, LF control arm replaced due to torn bushings, both front wheel bearings replaced, RF speaker replaced, actuators for both the recirculate and vent selector replaced, and the transmission cooler replaced due to leaking. The tachometer also sticks but we have no plans to fix that. It does seem to use a little oil and adding a qt. to it over the course of 7K miles isn't out of the question. For some odd reason though if the oil gets too dirty the level seems to drop way faster than if the oil is clean.

That's all I can think of for now.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:28 pm

When the oil gets "dirty" ( carbon particles are suspended in the oil ) it gets diluted by unburned gas hydrocarbons and becomes thinner, hence it will leak easier thru any gaps, cracks or leaking gaskets.
I would recommend to try for an oil change or 2 a high mileage oil from Mobil or any oyher brand name and see how it goes.....I would not recommend the use of synthetic past 200k mark unless your engine is in top notch like new condition....I would try do a synthetic blend.....the reason being that the synthetic one finds a way to leak thru the smallest gaps.

Now I doubt that the valve body was defective ....the issue would not have returned after 3 days....at most lets say the valve body was cleaned and removed some existing grit or dirt....there were issues with the first gen transmissions mostly 2008 and they used as you saw in the forum a reflash of the TCM.

Also before I forget...I am an IT guy I have tons of dead hard drives, before I recycle them I take them apart and remove the hard drive heads magnet ...it is a very powerful magnet and I stick one at the bottom of the oil filter on all the cars I have(d)...on one of my older cars a Dodge Intrepid with a bit over 300k on the clock I tool apart the oil filter after 6k ...and at the bottom where the magnet was I could see a very very fine dust made of metal particles...without the magnet they would have flow back into the engine......BTW I retired the Dodge after a water pump leak ...the engine was still going strong.

madmatt2024

Post by madmatt2024 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:22 pm

There are no TSB's or TCM flashes related to the issue her tranny is having.

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:27 am

madmatt2024 wrote:There are no TSB's or TCM flashes related to the issue her tranny is having.
Can you give a little more detail on the tranny issue?
2008 TRex Limited AWD

madmatt2024

Post by madmatt2024 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:37 pm

66 Galaxie wrote:
madmatt2024 wrote:There are no TSB's or TCM flashes related to the issue her tranny is having.
When driving between 45-65 in overdrive if you start to go up an incline the vehicle randomly jerks until you either give it more gas to make it downshift or turn off overdrive. Before the repair it would jerk driving 65 on the freeway if you tried to gradually accelerate, if you accelerate more aggressively and the trans downshifts it doesn't do it. The problem originally came on over a period of probably a few months and the temperature of the engine and transmission seems to have no effect on it. One of the mechanics where I work had the scan tool monitoring it while driving and every time it would jerk there would be a small spike in engine RPM.

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:11 pm

I have had a similar experience a few times and it was misfiring due to old plugs. No check engine light or misfires recorded when scanned so I suspected trans issues but it was caused by old plugs.

How old are the spark plugs and if they were recently changed were they gapped before install.
2008 TRex Limited AWD

pwschuh

Post by pwschuh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:11 am

madmatt2024 wrote:
66 Galaxie wrote:
When driving between 45-65 in overdrive if you start to go up an incline the vehicle randomly jerks until you either give it more gas to make it downshift or turn off overdrive. Before the repair it would jerk driving 65 on the freeway if you tried to gradually accelerate, if you accelerate more aggressively and the trans downshifts it doesn't do it.
Exactly what mine is doing.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:44 am

Check those spark plugs as noted above. ;-)
2008 TRex Limited AWD

madmatt2024

Post by madmatt2024 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:01 pm

I plan to change them as they are due again. I originally replaced them with Motorcraft plugs at 92K miles and now it has 185K miles so they are due again. The thing is that the issue started happening before the 90K mile plug replacement interval occurred and if it was the plugs why would putting the kit in the valve body temporarily fix it? Either way I have another set of Motorcraft plugs, coil boots, and upper plenum gaskets sitting around for when I have time and the vehicle available to work on. If it fixes it, great. If it doesn't, they needed to be done anyway.

spy1309

Post by spy1309 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:58 am

The plugs should be changed at least every 50k, I don t care they say they can go 100k between changes ......is the same like the claim of transmission fluid for life ( 100k ) ...and is bullshit as the soon you are out of 100k the transmission will fail conveniently right after the 100k warranty expire.
Also the air filter every 10k, PCV valve every 50k.
My transmission gets 4.5-5 quarts of fresh fluid every summer no matter what miles I do in a year, $20 of fluid and 1h work will always beat $4000 repair.
Also every year I use a turkey baster and get out the old power steering fluid and replace it with new one.

66 Galaxie

Post by 66 Galaxie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Just added power steering fluid to the list for the next oil change. :-)
2008 TRex Limited AWD