If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

New Rims and TPMS for Winter Tires?

WhoaTed

Re: New Rims and TPMS for Winter Tires?

Post by WhoaTed » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:53 pm

Funny how things work out: I've been shaking the bushes for a couple of weeks for a set of OEM 17"s, waiting for something to fall out. Found a decent set on a wrecked FS on Craigs in Detroit (I get over there every other week or so) for $75 apiece, was in the process of pulling the trigger on those when a set popped up on Craigs just a half an hour from me, she was asking $175 for the set...and wait for it...

...including center caps, lug nuts, and a set of OE Continentals, already dismounted, with 5/32 left on them. I felt so bad that I gave her $200 for it all. Already have a buyer for the Contis for $50.

Keep looking, be patient, and a set of wheels will come up. The ones in Detroit are still available, he'd probably ship them (look for a wrecked Freestyle in auto parts on Detroit Craigslist). There are also a couple of decent ones at a place called Schram's Auto Parts for $75 apiece, free shipping. Look on eBay for those.
Take care,
Ted

'07 Freestyle LTD AWD
'04 Volvo V70 T5 (SOLD)
'95 Alfa 164LS Sedan
'82 Lancia Zagato
'74 Fiat 124 Spider
'01 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 (for "truck stuff")

A_L

Post by A_L » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks Bells & WhoaTed!!
2008 T/X Limited AWD -- My other car is a wagon, too! (Subaru Forester XS, 2004)

dmg

Post by dmg » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:19 am

I have been hunting high and low for the appropriate 17" rims, but haven't much luck finding any rims for a really good price. There are good prices in the US; however, shipping rims from the US to Canada is way too expensive, especially if UPS is involved in the shipping (UPS runs a customs bokerage racket that really jacks the price of shipping when items cross the border -- there is no way to get around the UPS customs bokerage fees if the declared value is over 50.00).

I might compromise a bit on the tires this time around to save some money, with the expectation that I ill have to buy a new set of winter tires sooner rather than later.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread!

Martin

tscracer

Post by tscracer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:07 am

Great research and info. I didn't know the Mercury Sable rims were compatible with the Taurus X. Good info...a little too late for me.

I also skipped the TPMS sensors and, as I did with my previous car, just went to Canadian Tire for universal fit steel rims. The TPMS is a great feature but it's only been around about 5 yrs and I was able to live without it in the past. The light stays lit on my dashboard for 4-5 months of the year. Plus, I agree that it's so much easier to swap the tires in my driveway and check brakes at the same time than load these big tires into the car and wait in the food stamp line at the car shop for hours to get them swapped.

I'm also glad to see so much debate/attention to winter tires. My thought is that so long as you're riding on winter tires instead of all-season tires then you're 95% of the way there. Now, if only the rest of the country felt that way...

A_L

Post by A_L » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:09 pm

I ordered 1 set of rims form the link posted by Bells (Ebay).

I am still on the fence regarding the TPMS.

My local shop tells me that the ones that screw behind the valve tend to seize over time from dielectric contact (alu against metal), and he will mount them without TPMS if I want to...

EDIT: I received the rims from the seller oem_wheels from Ebay. Very good service through emails, answered my questions, shipped fast. $345 shipped to my door for 4 brand new rims with the metal band for the TPMs... Now I think I am going to get the TPMS sensors.
2008 T/X Limited AWD -- My other car is a wagon, too! (Subaru Forester XS, 2004)

pwschuh

Post by pwschuh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:10 am

I just bought a winter tire package from Tire Rack for a little over $700 (plus shipping :cry: ) Tires are mounted and balanced on 17" alloys. I skipped the TPMS. My wife said she didn't mind having the light on for 2 or 3 months, and if it really bothers her I'll use black electrical tape.

A_L

Post by A_L » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:19 am

Since my winter rims had the band for the TPMS, and I want to keep the car for a long time, I decided that I wanted the TPMS. Out of curiosity I checked a couple Ford dealers who quoter between $125 and $150 PER SENSOR!

I found them at Autozone (on-line) for $68 each and decided to get them, and they work perfectly.
Here is the link if anyone is interested --> http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 42_0_13507_

Warrtah

Post by Warrtah » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 pm

I just went through the same dilema, swap out the tires on the OE rims or buy a new set of winter wheels? Since the OE wheels on my X are the 18" rims, the tires alone cost more than what I am paying for a new set of 17" steels w/ Michelin X-ice. I found my local Ford dealer to be very reasonable compared to all other tire stores. Cost for the new 17" set-up (tires, rims and TPM sensors) $1400.00 CDN tax included.

Update to the above statement;
My local Ford dealer screwed the whole works up, big surprise! (Thanks Brown Bros.) and I am now left to find snow tires on Dec 24th because I am travelling to a Ski resort over the holidays. Due to the fact the dealer had my X for over a week before hand and could not sort it all out bewilders me still, DORKS.........sorry, had to rant!
Thanks to my local OK tire (Scott, Oak & Marine) I will make the trip with new 18" snow tires, very limited options!

I feel at peace knowing that my connection to the road during the winter months is the best it can be. Drive with sense and safety and you will reach your destination. We can see by the news the weather has become more unpredictable, one minute it is raining and within an hour two inches of snow on a layer of ice.

Cheers,
2009 Taurus X AWD Limited
2002 BMW 330

A_L

Post by A_L » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:51 pm

bells wrote: The TPMS reset tool was available from several sellers, all for about $30. It's a little gray box with a green button. To use it, you have to follow a sequence of key turns and brake pedal presses, then you walk around the car and hold the tool up to each tire in turn.

Hope that helps!
Bells,

Can you explain in details the exact sequence?
(After working fine at first, my TPMS light is coming on and off with no clear reason so I'd like to try resetting them with my tire shop.)

khl

Post by khl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:37 pm

A setup i just put together for winter rims with OEM new aluminum rims and TPMS without costing a dealer priced fortune

--4 new OEM Mercury Sable aluminum 14 spoke wheels (also came with factory band and sensor cradle installed on the rims)---total cost $249 for all 4 plus shipping---if you are interested, the seller has 3 more sets available as of today---type in a search Mercury Sable Factory 17" Wheels New, and the aution will come up with the buy it now at $249 on ebay---seller is oem_wheels from north canton ohio

--add to this 4 ford 500 centre caps as this rim is a enclosed wheels lug wheel---if your TX has enclosed already then no need to buy extra caps---but if you are exposed lugs then will need the new caps---I scored my set for the ford 500 used for $20

---Add to this a set of open end acorn nuts if you are going from exposed lugs to enclosed---many listings on ebay but make sure you get the short open end acornd nuts---range in price from $10-20 per set of 20

---add to this 4 factory TPMS sensors of which range in price for used and new---again ebay--I scored mine for $60 for 4 new

So all in and factory new set of rims, caps, nuts, TPMS cost me $340 plus shipping

And yes the sable rims are the 52 offset as the taurus x factory 17 rims are

Far cry from dealer price and far cry from steel rims with aftermarket TPMS system

If anyone want more info, please contact me
Last edited by khl on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khl

Post by khl » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:40 pm

TPMS reset procedure follows, using the Ford factory Trainer--ford part # 8C2Z-1A203-A---formerly part # TPMS-19

Cost me $37 at local dealer and it is the plastic gray one about 3" x 2" and has the single green push button on it---well worth it as local shops here charge like $50 to retrain and it only takes about 5 min after you know what you are doing

1. Make sure the car is about 2 car lengths away from any other car with a TPMS system
2. Make sure tires on the vehicle for which you want to train the sensors are on the vehicle and the tire pressure is at close to or at the pressure you want them at
3. Get in the driver seat and close all doors and shut off all electrical items in the car. insert the ignition key into the ignition
4. Press and release the brake pedal 1 time
5. Turn ignition key to the on,( but not start ) position
6. Turn the ignition key to the off position after the first chime
7. Repeat for a total of 3 times from the first on cycle and within about 15 seconds for all 3 cycles, and leaving the ignition key in the on, but not start, position at the end of the 3rd cycle
8.Press and release the brake pedal
9.Turn the key to the off position
10.turn the key to on position for 1 chime then off---repeat for a total of 3 times, ending with key in the on position at the end of the 3rd cycle

10. Horn will chip 1 time and message centre will instruct you from there as to which tire to train with the ford tool---horn will sound 1 time after each tire/rims is sucessfully programed---after you hear the horn look at the message centre as to which tire to do next

Follow the message centre instruction as to which wheel to train next (you have about 2 min between sensors to train the next wheel so no need to run)

The ford tool needs to be placed on the inside of the rim approx 180 degrees from the valve stem and then push and hold the button on the tool and move it around till horn chirps, then move to next wheel the message centre tells you to (tip dont open the door to read the message centre, either put the window down before you start all this so you can poke your head in and read it without triggering any other electrical activity in the car while training the sensors, or try and read it through the window)

I think you get a double chirp from the horn when done if memory serves me correctly---but message centre in the car will tell you when the training is done for sure

Any questions please contact