If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

2007 freestyle or 2008 taurus X

mom2girls

2007 freestyle or 2008 taurus X

Post by mom2girls » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:49 am

I have been driving myself crazy for the past 2 months. We are in the market for another car, we are a family of 4 who are currently driving a Toyota Matrix, fun car but no room between 2 car seats. I had never heard of the Freestyle or Taurus X until 2 months ago when I saw a Taurus X for sale. It satisfied all my requirements, and I like the look of these. I refuse to even look at a van let alone buy one. I have done hours of research comparing the two cars, reading reviews, I have gone back and forth between the 2 cars. I love the Taurus X just because they are easier to find with low kilometres, however, the price tag for one of these is up to $10000 more than a Freestyle. I am hesitant about the Freestyle because of some negative reviews I read about the 2005 and 2006. However, Consumer Reports say the 2007 is a reliable car and Lemon Aid car guide says it is an average buy, just as the Taurus X is. What should I do...go with the Freestyle which has about 65-70000 km or pay the higher price for the low km Taurus X? We are not in a hurry for this car so I was also wondering if anybody would know how much the Taurus X will go down in 2011, will it depreciate enough to see a noticeable difference in the asking price? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

thegoldenhand

Re: 2007 freestyle or 2008 taurus X

Post by thegoldenhand » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:32 am

I would think that since these cars are now retired by Ford, that by next year the selling price would dip further. If I was buying right now, I'd go with the TX. I have an 05 with the CVT and I love it. But of course the refinements came in with the later models like the Taurus X. So that's always a plus.

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:01 pm

What refinements? An ugly grill? A thirstier engine? No CVT?
'05 SEL Norsea Blue/Shale Leather
Frt. Row Comfort/Aux Climate/50/50 3rd row

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:51 pm

mom2girls wrote:I refuse to even look at a van let alone buy one.
My advice? Look at one.

Minivans are perfect for families like yours. We had two when our three kids were growing up ('95 Pontiac Transport, '02 Olds Silhouette), and the kids loved them. Plenty of room for car seats, and when they got older, everyone gets a window seat. Easy in and out with the sliding doors on both sides, so the kids never bang the door into side of the car in the next parking space. The driving position is generally high off the ground with lots of glass all around for great visibility. All in all, wonderful vehicles for families. There's a reason why you see them everywhere and why their introduction 25 years ago spelled the end for station wagons. I've nothing against the Freestyle, of course, but yours is not the first time I've seen this knee-jerk negativism about minivans without any explanation as to why.

mom2girls

Post by mom2girls » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Well, after months of research and bouncing back and forth between the Taurus X and the Freestyle, we did it, we bought a 2008 Ford Taurus X. I can't wait to enjoy this vehicle as so many others on this forum has. Thanks for your input!

WhoaTed

Post by WhoaTed » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:23 am

Congrats, glad you found one. Like you, I cannot stand driving a minivan; and yes, I have...no thanks, not my driving or aesthetic style AT ALL. Some people love the things, others (like us) don't, regardless of the advantages. Same with SUV's...I've almost always had one for "family adventures" (camping, kayaking, going to the beach etc) including a '93 Explorer Eddie B, but for a daily family driver/long distance traveler? Tolerable, but nothing like a nice wagon or the Freestyle. To each their own...
Take care,
Ted

'07 Freestyle LTD AWD
'04 Volvo V70 T5 (SOLD)
'95 Alfa 164LS Sedan
'82 Lancia Zagato
'74 Fiat 124 Spider
'01 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 (for "truck stuff")

Shantheman

Post by Shantheman » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:57 pm

I had the EXACT same dilemma a few months ago. I looked for a good T/X for months...and when I found one...there was a pristine Freestyle next to it. In fact, the Freestyle had fewer miles and was certified. The T/X was not.

In the end...few things pushed me towards the T/X...
1. I could feel the 60+ additional horses in the engine. Neither are underpowered, but it mattered to me.
2. The CVT is more expensive to maintain...(not wanting to start a big +/- discussion on this!)
3. I liked the updated look a tad better. That's taste.

But since I also purchased a 2008 T/X...the first thing I had the dealer do was change the transmission fluid and reflash the transmission computer. There is an update for 2008's built before a certain date...and LET ME TELL YOU...it shifts like a different car. MUCH better.

Enjoy!

A_L

Post by A_L » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:56 pm

We went through the same dilemma and ended up buying a '08 T/X 3 weeks ago. I liked both the Freestyle and the T/X styling and specs, we just really picked the newest/lowest mileage possible car and are completely happy. My only gripe is the roof rails that are better on the Freestyle than the T/X

Shantheman: what is that transmission reflash thing exactly doing? Thanks!
2008 T/X Limited AWD -- My other car is a wagon, too! (Subaru Forester XS, 2004)

Shantheman

Post by Shantheman » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:10 pm

The transmission reflash updates the software that controls how your transmission shifts. They can change shift points...adjust the abruptness...etc.
I believe all 2009's came with the update...but a good number of 2008's did not...
I would arm myself with the TSB (technical service bulletin) that talks about the reflash.
Google search it...you can prob get the # of the TSB at least...maybe not the full text.

tscracer

Post by tscracer » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:17 am

Congrats on the Taurux X. I was in the same situation and, after a Freestyle broke down on the test drive (no kidding--we were stranded), I got permission from the wife to increase the used car budget. We bought a 2008 Taurus X Limited. No regrets. And added surprise is that it came with Sync. We love it.

The motor is improved over the Freestyle and the Taurus X has better reliability reviews. I hope it works out to be a great car. We've only had it for 30,000 kms.

Our only inconvenience is the DVD player screen doesn't always activate when you slide a movie in. Sometimes I have to eject the disk and restart the machine. It's a new unit as the first one died at the 2 yr old mark. Hope this one lasts!!

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:55 pm

tscracer wrote:Congrats on the Taurux X. I was in the same situation and, after a Freestyle broke down on the test drive (no kidding--we were stranded), I got permission from the wife to increase the used car budget. We bought a 2008 Taurus X Limited. No regrets. And added surprise is that it came with Sync. We love it.

The motor is improved over the Freestyle and the Taurus X has better reliability reviews. I hope it works out to be a great car. We've only had it for 30,000 kms.

Our only inconvenience is the DVD player screen doesn't always activate when you slide a movie in. Sometimes I have to eject the disk and restart the machine. It's a new unit as the first one died at the 2 yr old mark. Hope this one lasts!!
It is a different Motor from the FS. You have the 3.5 liter where the FS has the 3.0 liter which IMHO is a darn good bulletproof engine.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

pwschuh

Post by pwschuh » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:18 am

jaunty75 wrote: negativism about minivans without any explanation as to why.
Why? Because they're minivans, that's why. What's to explain? I'd rather drive a horse-drawn cart than drive a minvan.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

gjoe

Post by gjoe » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:06 am

In May of 2010 my 2001 Focus was totaled by a Dodge Ram 1500 who decided not to stop for a stop sign. What to buy? I have always liked the looks of a Freestyle! So the search was on. After looking at countless dealers and test driving both the X and Freestyle I settled on a beautiful, well cared for 2007 Freestyle SEL with about 35,000 miles on it. After tax & tags It was $18,000. I have a great seating configuration with twin buckets in the middle with pass through, no stupid center console. Both theses seats flip forward if need be. Only thing I sacraficed to get this configuration was the middle buckets do not slide forward or backward, oh well. Personally I did not like the X's I drove, they felt sloppy but had a bit more power than the Freestyle due to bigger engine. I like the CVT transmission also.

tradosaurus

Post by tradosaurus » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:54 am

mom2girls wrote:Well, after months of research and bouncing back and forth between the Taurus X and the Freestyle, we did it, we bought a 2008 Ford Taurus X. I can't wait to enjoy this vehicle as so many others on this forum has. Thanks for your input!
Congratulations!

But why didn't you take the resident experts (jaunty75) advice to try out a minivan? :lol:
1 Tim 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence, with all subjection

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:04 am

gjoe wrote:In May of 2010 my 2001 Focus was totaled by a Dodge Ram 1500 who decided not to stop for a stop sign. What to buy? I have always liked the looks of a Freestyle! So the search was on. After looking at countless dealers and test driving both the X and Freestyle I settled on a beautiful, well cared for 2007 Freestyle SEL with about 35,000 miles on it. After tax & tags It was $18,000. I have a great seating configuration with twin buckets in the middle with pass through, no stupid center console. Both theses seats flip forward if need be. Only thing I sacraficed to get this configuration was the middle buckets do not slide forward or backward, oh well. Personally I did not like the X's I drove, they felt sloppy but had a bit more power than the Freestyle due to bigger engine. I like the CVT transmission also.
Hence the name Dodge RAM :lol:
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex