If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Power liftgate problem in a 2008 Taurus X

Meteorite

Power liftgate problem in a 2008 Taurus X

Post by Meteorite » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:54 pm

My wife has a 2008 Taurus X Limited with the power liftgate option which we purchased new in December 08. For the first few months after we took delivery, the liftgate would open smoothly and would stop quietly when it was fully open.

Recently, something has changed. It still opens smoothly most of the way, however when it gets to the fully open position it appears to try to over-open the door. The opener (a telescoping bar powered by a motor at the bottom left of the hatch frame, if you are not familiar with it) gets to the top and seems to jump a bit and makes an audible clunking noise. Then, the warning chime sounds -- which we previously only heard when the door was closing -- NOT opening.

We had the dealer service department look at it when I brought it in to have some warranty issues addressed. They seem to think it is working properly (I know it isn't), but since the model is discontinued and they didn't ever have many with the power liftgate in the first place, they don't have anything to compare it to (hard to prove it isn't working properly when I can't show them one that is). I'd take it to another dealer, but there isn't one nearby.

Any chance there's someone out there who has the power liftgate option? If so, any chance you would be willing to make a video showing the operation of your liftgate so I can prove that it doesn't jump, clunk, and chime EVERY time the door is opened? Thanks!
Chris

stuntman8895

Re: Power liftgate problem in a 2008 Taurus X

Post by stuntman8895 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:01 pm

The chime happens because the gate has hit an obstacle (it doesnt realize that it has opened too far). the position where the controller thinks the gate is fully open and should stop power opening somehow moved past where the gate is actually completely open. I have no idea why it does this, but ive seen it a lot on all of the ford liftgate systems made by this supplier. WHAT YOU CAN DO: reset the gate position sensor. simply disconnect (give a minute maybe) and reconnect the vehicle battery, WITH THE GATE CLOSED. then power open and close the gate. this will run a new learn cycle. you should be warned that the gate will open as it did before, jerking at the end of the open cycle, because the module needs to learn where the full open position is. the gate should run normally the second time you open it. (this is likely what the dealer would charge you to do). If this doesnt work, post more details and i'll try to help!

Meteorite

Post by Meteorite » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:17 am

Stuntman,
Thanks much! Worked like a charm.

Chris

Meteorite

Post by Meteorite » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:44 pm

I suppose it’s a good sign that I’m updating this 9 years later. Still have the TX. New power lift gate problem. It opens and closes normally, but it makes grinding noise as it does so. Has anyone experienced something similar? It works normally, but the grinding noise sounds like it won’t be working for long.

pwschuh

Post by pwschuh » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:49 am

Assume that the noise is coming from the gearbox down at the base of the powered strut?
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

Meteorite

Post by Meteorite » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:11 am

Yes, it’s from the motor/gearbox behind the button. The grinding only happens when the lift gate is opening. It’s quieter (almost normal) when closing.

pwschuh

Post by pwschuh » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:53 am

Seems right, since it's working harder when the gate is opening. If you're up for doing some advanced troubleshooting, I would pop the cover off the motor / gear assembly and see what's going on in there. Maybe some grease is required or maybe the gearbox is going bad.
2008 TX Limited
Silver Birch Metallic/Black leather
WeatherTech floormats all rows
Bought used on 17 Nov 10 with 20,000 miles

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:19 am

Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex