X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Stealth

Re: X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Post by Stealth » Tue May 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Just scored some Yakima 48" crossbars new on eBay for $50 shipped. They sell for a lot more new. They were advertised as Kia 48" cross bars, but I emailed them and they told me they are Yakima 0408 bars. It's all starting to come together.

2005 Ford F150 XLT, 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL

dmg

Post by dmg » Fri May 21, 2010 8:15 pm

I also own aThule #430 Tracker II Foot Pack and Thule #TK1 Tracker II Attachment Kit and plan to implement the solution(s) posted by WesH and DSalter. Many thanks for figuring this out!

I note that WesH recommends the following to keep the screws from seizing:
WesH wrote:I sprayed some lithium spray grease on the screws in the slots to serve and a sealant to help retard rusting. And do that every once in a while just in case I ever want to remove them they will not be seized up.
However, I note that the original Thule screws have medium strength removable thread lock applied to them to add some extra security. Wouldn't it make sense to apply some medium strenght thread lock to the screws instead? You could always apply some rust inhibitor to the exposed threads later after the thread lock has set (the thread lock creates a seal between the threads and the nut in the absence of air).

Martin

A_L

Post by A_L » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:39 am

I already had a quite nice set of crossbars (Sports Rack brand) that were used on our previous car (VW Jetta wagon). They stopped making this style of bars so no accessories were available to fit them on the TX. So before paying about $300 for a new Yakima, I HAD TO give it a try.

With about $30 worth of hardware (rubber pads, stainless steel bolts, washers & lock nuts, metal spacers and aluminum flat bar), I fitted the bars on the TX's rack. I am very pleased with the results. It looks good & clean, and mostly it is very solid. Bonus: using long flat bars inside the rails, the bolts under them are hidden and almost impossible to reach if someone wanted to steal the rack. I actually fab'ed a long & narrow wrench from a flat bar specially for this!
Attachments
rack on TX.jpg
rack on TX.jpg (38.42 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
rack close up 2.jpg
rack close up 2.jpg (162.54 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
rack close up 1.jpg
rack close up 1.jpg (196.46 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
2008 T/X Limited AWD -- My other car is a wagon, too! (Subaru Forester XS, 2004)

chaimav

Post by chaimav » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:40 am

Has anyome tried Inno racks? This one looks like it might work http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/orsracks ... ctions.pdf
Their fitguide lists the T/X as TBD :-(
2008 T-Rex SEL AWD

bluedog1157

Post by bluedog1157 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:45 pm

I moved a 40 ft TV tower (10 ft long sections) on top of my T/x from IN to MI. I used 2x4 lumber cut to 7 ft long. Drilled holes thru the lumber and used carriage bolts with large washers. There are keyholes at the end of the rack track that allows the bolt heads and washers to slip into the groove. Then just tighten down the nut on the top of the 2x4. Not a great look, but very cost effective (if not somewhat redneck solution) for a one time haul. Got some odd looks driving down the highway.

dlensing

Post by dlensing » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:31 pm

look elsewhere on this site for plans to build some cross bars out of 1" square steel tubing. I made some this past summer before our vacation and they worked great. Cost 20-30 dollars for materials.

A_L

Post by A_L » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:17 am

bluedog1157 wrote:I moved a 40 ft TV tower (10 ft long sections) on top of my T/x from IN to MI. I used 2x4 lumber cut to 7 ft long. Drilled holes thru the lumber and used carriage bolts with large washers. There are keyholes at the end of the rack track that allows the bolt heads and washers to slip into the groove. Then just tighten down the nut on the top of the 2x4. Not a great look, but very cost effective (if not somewhat redneck solution) for a one time haul. Got some odd looks driving down the highway.
This is AWESOME! :lol: Do you have photos by any chance?
2008 T/X Limited AWD -- My other car is a wagon, too! (Subaru Forester XS, 2004)

khl

Post by khl » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:53 pm

new to TX ownership myself and was looking for the roof rack rails and came across this site---ford sells a OEM rail system for the Taurus X 08-09 part #A7FCS-45053R-AA

Price is steep of course from the dealer, like $350 plus---have seen some on ebay for the $240-$250 mark

Some other cool accesories also available for the system

checkout the ford accessory site at www. fordaccessoriesstore.com

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:34 pm

khl wrote:new to TX ownership myself and was looking for the roof rack rails and came across this site---ford sells a OEM rail system for the Taurus X 08-09 part #A7FCS-45053R-AA

Price is steep of course from the dealer, like $350 plus---have seen some on ebay for the $240-$250 mark

Some other cool accesories also available for the system

checkout the ford accessory site at www. fordaccessoriesstore.com
Last time I looked, the Ford system only mounted to the front raised part of the rail - a serious limitation to the front half of your rack. Has that changed?

Many of the other solutions offered here on this post look to be cheaper and better than the kludged solution Ford has been offering to date.
Owner of Taurus X Limited - Ice Blue Metallic

coastierox

Post by coastierox » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:36 am

Hey all. I'm new here, just a fast question. Does anybody have pics of the Yakima Railgrab system installed? Can it go into that little worthless notch thing on top? Just curious, would only want to move it back a couple of inches and I want a low profile rack. Thanks!

Truckeeskibum

Post by Truckeeskibum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:34 am

Coastierox,

The rail grabs will only work on the front portion of the rail where there is a gap between the rail and the roof.

I'm going to set my rack up this week based on some advice from Lattjiu (see page 6), using a set of yakima railriders that came off my old grand cherokee. I'm hoping to get it done for under $20.

Do you have any other Yakima towers ?

coastierox

Post by coastierox » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 am

No, normally go with Thule stuff, but my ex wife pawned off my last rack... won't get into it. hahaha. Next question: using the 24" up front, would that stick a box too far forward?

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 pm

coastierox wrote:No, normally go with Thule stuff, but my ex wife pawned off my last rack... won't get into it. hahaha. Next question: using the 24" up front, would that stick a box too far forward?
I think so. That's why I went with the different solution I proposed to get the cargo box further back out of the air stream. This way, I found it almost no effect on my mileage, looks nicer, and easier to get access from the doors.
Owner of Taurus X Limited - Ice Blue Metallic

Hwycruiser

Post by Hwycruiser » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:14 pm

would that stick a box too far forward?
No, I just use the 24" area with a Yakima box and it does not stick out. You cannot even see it from the drivers seat, no effect to gas mileage and you can stand on the door seal to reach the box.

coastierox

Post by coastierox » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:14 am

Hwycruiser wrote:
would that stick a box too far forward?
No, I just use the 24" area with a Yakima box and it does not stick out. You cannot even see it from the drivers seat, no effect to gas mileage and you can stand on the door seal to reach the box.
Sounds good to me and I finally found some pics that convince me of the same. Thanx.