If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Truckster

Post by Truckster » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 am

Funny, I talked with an engineer who saw my roof rack and cargo box on the top of the Freestyle and he cringed.

Said they were meant to be decorative and that I should check the roof weight rating.

I've never put more than a a hundred lbs up there, and I've never had a problem but still, it make me cringe. Why put them on if they aren't to be used!

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 am

Truckster wrote:Funny, I talked with an engineer who saw my roof rack and cargo box on the top of the Freestyle and he cringed.

Said they were meant to be decorative and that I should check the roof weight rating.

I've never put more than a a hundred lbs up there, and I've never had a problem but still, it make me cringe. Why put them on if they aren't to be used!

weight capacity is listed in your owners manual.

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:48 am

cvsting wrote:I still do not understand why I paid $30,000 for a car with no cross bars on the roof rack ? :roll:

there is a lot of things missing on your $30,000 car

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:49 am

LarryQW wrote:I noted the TX rack is not the same as the Freestyle. The back half is flush and can't take the claw that the Freestyle uses.

Yakima has the Taurus X listed on their Rack Fitter, but doesn't show anything. I sent them an email and got this response:

Sorry about that error message. With the Taurus X being a new model, we haven't been able to add it to our online database yet. We do know that it is out there and are working on a fit. We need to test every vehicle as it comes out with our racks to make sure that the fit is safe. Our Fit Team has not had an opportunity to test that vehicle. We cannot test anything until one becomes available from a dealership and then it has to go through rigorous testing to be sure it is a safe fit. Many times, once we’ve gone through all of the testing we can use one of our existing tower systems and call out the fit. That usually just takes a month or so after we’ve seen it. If we cannot use an existing system, we need to develop something especially for it and that does take at least 6 months to go through the development process.

I have logged that you requested a fit for your car, which will help show our engineers there is demand for it. Once the vehicle has been evaluated, www.yakima.com will be updated with the information (follow the “Fit My Car” link).

Thank you,
Yakima Support

go back and re-read my post on how to fit a Yakima clamp

LarryQW

Official X-bars from Yakima

Post by LarryQW » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:34 am

If you go to http://www.yakima.com and click "Fit My Car", the Taurus-X is now listed.

Yakima suggests the "Low Rider" base rack system (including crossbars, towers, and keyed clamps, and small parts) at a price of $209.

Oh, and it's $60 more for the fairing, and yet another $45 for the four lock cores pack. I've heard from dealers that you only need the fairing if you drive without any load on the rack, where it helps stop vibration of the unloaded cross bars. I'd probably just remove the cross bars entirely when I don't have a load, to save on wind resistance and vibration altogether. So I'm not sure I'd need the fairing.

The Taurus X manual says the roof rack load limit is 125 lbs. As such, any cargo box needs to be limited in size and weight. If I use the roof cargo box only for voluminous and light items such as pillows, folding chairs, and sleeping bags, I may be able to get away the with larger SkyBox 16, which at 47 lbs which still leaves 75 lbs for load in the 16 cubic foot box.

Similarly, I can easily load three bikes on top, about all that would easily fit and have access anyway.
Owner of Taurus X Limited - Ice Blue Metallic

JJN

Cross bars for Taurus X

Post by JJN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:21 pm

I was led to believe that one could buy cross bars for a kayak through the parts department before my purchase of a Taurus X last week. This was evidently true for the Freestyle, but not true for the Taurus X.
I called Yakima this morning and the representative reported that they tested their Low Rider cross bars with a kayak and the test FAILED! The reason is that there is only 24-25 inches between the bars given the new design of the Taurus X roof rails. Not enough stability for a kayak.
The Ford representative on the 800 assessories department number was also not very happy with the new design. Bottom line there are no cross bars available at this time for kayaks, or anything else much over two feet in length.
Unless things change, DO NOT BUY a Taurus X to tranport a kayak or canoe. I am ready to return my Taurus X for this fatal design error.

andysinnh

Post by andysinnh » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:56 pm

So, I'm gonna assume that the roofline of the TaurusX is the same as the Freestyle, and that they chose a different rack design for the '08 redesign. Isn't it possible to swap a Freestyle rack for a TX rack? Only glitch might be if the mounting points are in a different spot... could be a way around it - perhaps a boneyard has a donor Freestyle???

andy
A "Ford" and 3 "Honda" Family in NH

04 Mazda Tribute LX AWD 107k miles
12 Acura TL SH-AWD 5k miles
12 Honda Civic LX Coupe 5k miles (son's)
13 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1k miles

Previous - 07 Ford Freestyle Limited AWD 68k miles (traded)

LarryQW

Re: Cross bars for Taurus X

Post by LarryQW » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:53 pm

JJN wrote:I was led to believe that one could buy cross bars for a kayak through the parts department before my purchase of a Taurus X last week. This was evidently true for the Freestyle, but not true for the Taurus X.
I called Yakima this morning and the representative reported that they tested their Low Rider cross bars with a kayak and the test FAILED! The reason is that there is only 24-25 inches between the bars given the new design of the Taurus X roof rails. Not enough stability for a kayak.
The Ford representative on the 800 accessories department number was also not very happy with the new design. Bottom line there are no cross bars available at this time for kayaks, or anything else much over two feet in length.
Unless things change, DO NOT BUY a Taurus X to tranport a kayak or canoe. I am ready to return my Taurus X for this fatal design error.
I've had this top rail / cross bar issue too. I went in to my Yakima dealer to try and understand Yakima's recommendation for the Low Rider claw with the flush part of the rack in back. It turns out as you say, the Low Rider wrap-around claw only works on the raised portion of the rack in front. I measure this raised length of the rail to be 27.5" on my Taurus-X, but the claw itself is a few inches wide, which has to be subtracted.

I also called up Yakima, and they also confirmed to me that the Low Rider was only good on the front section of the rack that's raised, and thus limited to a small crossbar separation.

Nevertheless, my local Yakima dealer and I see a way to mount a tower in the flush section of the rail by using a foot (or "Landing Pad) with a bolt anchor down in the slot. We had to try a couple landing pads from Yakima's line and found one that fit. I'm going for installation in a couple weeks, and we'll know for sure then if it works. I want to fit a 84" long SkyBox Pro16, and really need a crossbar on the rear section of the rack for strength and stability, just like a kayak.

I'm also going to call Yakima about using this tower solution in the rear flush part of the rail.

Andy's idea of trying the Freestyle racks may also be an option. I don't know if the two cars have the same rack spacing width and attachment slot dimension, but it has to be close. Maybe it's worth a try ordering a set of the Freestyle crossbars from Ford. I can try right in the parking lot and return them immediately if it doesn't work.

Truckster

Post by Truckster » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:27 am

Now that I've gotten the Taurus X, I see what your talking about.

I examined the roof rails and it appears that the front bar and mounts that I had for the Freestyle will work, but the rear mount needs something that drops down into the channel and clamps on to it.

It looks as if it was made to do this. Why there isn't a system out, I don't know. 135 lb is nothing kind of :oops: I've had at least 250 lbs up there myself :shock:

Another problem is the positioning of the rack. With the new satellite antenna on the rear, the clam shell must be mounted further forward, which makes loading it more difficult. I had been able to stand on the rear bumper, tailgate closed, and load things in. Now it's necessary to reach in a good foot from the back. It may even interfere with the ability to open the sunroof.

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:48 am

Truckster wrote:Now that I've gotten the Taurus X, I see what your talking about.

I examined the roof rails and it appears that the front bar and mounts that I had for the Freestyle will work, but the rear mount needs something that drops down into the channel and clamps on to it.

It looks as if it was made to do this. Why there isn't a system out, I don't know. 135 lb is nothing kind of :oops: I've had at least 250 lbs up there myself :shock:

Another problem is the positioning of the rack. With the new satellite antenna on the rear, the clam shell must be mounted further forward, which makes loading it more difficult. I had been able to stand on the rear bumper, tailgate closed, and load things in. Now it's necessary to reach in a good foot from the back. It may even interfere with the ability to open the sunroof.
My suspicion is that the roof rack load is limited to 125 lbs as there's no real direct support under the roof racks. They're just tacked onto the roof metal for appearance. Nevertheless, I can still get a lot of high volume low weight goodies up there: bikes, Xmas trees, slides, 4x8' plywood, 16 cubic foot cargo box for camping pillows, sleeping bags, tents,...

EDIT: I've since examined the roof rack and it appears to be mounted to a strong frame element right underneath, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. My rack installer thinks it could be the rack rail itself is not rated for a heavier load. It could also be that having too much weight on top of the car makes it top heavy and less stable and more prone to roll over. ??

I also worried about the rear antennae on the back interfering with a cargo box I wanted to get. Then I saw someone with a cargo box on a similar car, with the box actually touching and even slightly bending the antennae. I asked him if he still got good reception, and he said everything worked great: satellite, radio, whatever. Also the Yakima SkyBoxPro16 has an angled back to allow for such angled elements as antennae and hatch openings. On the Taurus X, the rear hatch opens within 4" of the antennae anyway, so you don't loose much. You can also unscrew the antennae but I suspect reception would be very bad. And a SkyBoxPro16 84" long box is about the right length for the top. I just need to get a channel type mount on the rear section, that my rack dealer is sure he can do using Yakima's Landing Pads based on our simple tests with some of them.
Last edited by LarryQW on Mon May 19, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LarryQW

Crossbars from Yakima

Post by LarryQW » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:12 am

Good News. Yakima has just come out with a second set of options for cross bars. See their "Fit My Car" function on Yakima.com.

One is the LowRider claw that only works on the front 27" of raised rail. Better is the Control Tower with Landing Pad 4 that now works along the entire length.

WhatColorIsLightSage

Thule

Post by WhatColorIsLightSage » Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:31 am

Talked to Thule on Friday and they insist that the factory rails will provide 27" bar spread that would let me keep my old 58" crossbars on Crossroad mounts and the Cascade 1700 box from my old van. I'm skeptical -- it's a 91" box!

It's raining and cold here so I haven't yet checked if they were telling the truth. Has anyone tried and succeeded (or failed?)
2008 Taurus X SEL AWD
Light Sage/Light Stone Leather

LarryQW

Re: Thule

Post by LarryQW » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:56 pm

WhatColorIsLightSage wrote:Talked to Thule on Friday and they insist that the factory rails will provide 27" bar spread that would let me keep my old 58" crossbars on Crossroad mounts and the Cascade 1700 box from my old van. I'm skeptical -- it's a 91" box!

It's raining and cold here so I haven't yet checked if they were telling the truth. Has anyone tried and succeeded (or failed?)
Yes, in theory you can put a box on the roof with the reduced crossbar spread, depending on the model. Many of Yakima's long boxes work down to a 24" spread for instance. But that 27" spread they're talking about is just the raised part of the rail in the front of the car. The box will be way forward sticking over the front windshield with extra room in back. You may want to get a better position of your roof gear with different towers that can fit anywhere on the rack. And a larger spread will be stronger and more stable.

LarryQW

Re: X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Post by LarryQW » Wed May 07, 2008 12:58 am

I finally got the Yakima Rack Cross Bar to work on the recessed rear section of the rail with the help of my local dealer, Rack N Road.

Yakima since withdrew it's alternate recommendation of Landing Pad 4, leaving only the LowRider that's limited to the front raised part of the roof rack.

The dealer tried out the Landing Pad 4 (before Yakima withdrew it's recommendation) and found it had an issue in that the Landing Pad barely covered the slot. As such, the screw could tilt and one side of the pad could slide over and fall into the slot, allowing the pad to loosen.

He McGuyver'd up a solution using two plates, an A and C plate. The larger plate was on the bottom of the rail and clamped the pad down. The thinner plate also went through the screw, but placed higher up in the slot to prevent the landing pad from moving sideways. The slot is not uniform and has a slight V shape, so if the smaller plate is put at the right point in height, the pad is locked in solid so it can't move sideways, making a secure mount. I'll try to get pictures if I can figure out how to attach them.

With the shorter SkyBox Pro 16, I positioned the rear about 3" from the antennae, and the front is still recessed nicely behind the front of the car. With the box this far back, it's less interference with the air stream, and I've been able to get ~25 MPG on flat sections of the highway, with or without the cargo box. In other words, I don't see a noticeable affect on mileage from the box.

I just got back from a 2500 mile mountain biking trip with 4 guys (from CA to Moab Utah, Fruita CO, and Gooseberry) carrying all our gear in back and the cargo box, and 4 bikes on the hitch. Everything held up well. :D

BenS

Re: X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Post by BenS » Tue May 13, 2008 6:08 pm

LarryQW wrote: The dealer tried out the Landing Pad 4 (before Yakima withdrew it's recommendation) and found it had an issue in that the Landing Pad barely covered the slot. As such, the screw could tilt and one side of the pad could slide over and fall into the slot, allowing the pad to loosen.

He McGuyver'd up a solution using two plates, an A and C plate. The larger plate was on the bottom of the rail and clamped the pad down. The thinner plate also went through the screw, but placed higher up in the slot to prevent the landing pad from moving sideways. The slot is not uniform and has a slight V shape, so if the smaller plate is put at the right point in height, the pad is locked in solid so it can't move sideways, making a secure mount. I'll try to get pictures if I can figure out how to attach them.
:D

Larry,
this sounds great! I want to transport my 15ft kayak and need to install cross bars (do not have a hinch) and was surprised how difficult it is to find a solution. All the dealers I contacted said foam blocks would be the solution at the moment .... (because neither the Thule 450 Crossroads nor the Yakima Low Rider solution works for me)
If you could post some pictures and could be a bit more specific on the plates you use, I would highly appreciate!