X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Hwycruiser

Re: X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Post by Hwycruiser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 am

Another advantage of using the the Yakima Railgrabbers is they are very easy to put on and take off (5 minutes). So you do not have to leave them on the car, which results in better fuel economy when you do not need them.

upnorthFord

Post by upnorthFord » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:11 am

I will go one step further to inquire why even on most late model SUVs, no cross bars are installed at the factory? It seems that the functionality of these "roof racks" has taken a back seat on most vehicles, not just our FS/X cars. To this day, I believe the factory moveable crossbar/independent moveable tie downs rail system on my old 1995 Ford Explorer is the best out there, period. Very versatile with zero wind noise. I have carried everything from new carpet and new boxed patio furniture to my canoe with this rack without a problem.
2007 Freestyle SEL
1995 Explorer XLT 4WD

WhoaTed

Post by WhoaTed » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 pm

upnorthFord wrote:To this day, I believe the factory moveable crossbar/independent moveable tie downs rail system on my old 1995 Ford Explorer is the best out there, period. Very versatile with zero wind noise.
Ditto on my old '93 Explorer and '98 Taurus...the sliding crossbars on both were simple to use, easily adjustable and quiet. Blows me away that the FS/TX has nothing available from Ford like those old ones that were OEM. Sheesh...
Take care,
Ted

'07 Freestyle LTD AWD
'04 Volvo V70 T5 (SOLD)
'95 Alfa 164LS Sedan
'82 Lancia Zagato
'74 Fiat 124 Spider
'01 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 (for "truck stuff")

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:49 am

WhoaTed wrote:
upnorthFord wrote:To this day, I believe the factory moveable crossbar/independent moveable tie downs rail system on my old 1995 Ford Explorer is the best out there, period. Very versatile with zero wind noise.
Ditto on my old '93 Explorer and '98 Taurus...the sliding crossbars on both were simple to use, easily adjustable and quiet. Blows me away that the FS/TX has nothing available from Ford like those old ones that were OEM. Sheesh...
I also had those thin adjustable crossbars on the two Sable wagons that I owned, and got lots of use out of them. The slots in the Taurus X look like they'd take a similar setup if Ford made them. I looked at using my wagon's rails, but the slot width is bigger on the T-X.

I guess a lot of people didn't use the roof racks, and the crossbars made the Taurus X look too much like a wagon, which is out of style. Ford seems to use the side rails more for artistic value, to help the looks a bit with a straighter flow line across the unusual two-height roof.

However, the Yakima Landing Pads I described before work well. Even though they're not easily adjustable, they can be put at any point along the entire rail (not just the raised part) and left there forever. And when I'm not using the racks, I can take off the bars with one click to open each side. I then place small plastic Yakima covers on the short landing pads to leave small clean unnoticeable bumps on the rail. And the Yakima bars probably work better than Ford's bars with the Yakima cargo box and bike racks that I frequently use.
Owner of Taurus X Limited - Ice Blue Metallic

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:54 am

Hwycruiser wrote:Another advantage of using the the Yakima Railgrabbers is they are very easy to put on and take off (5 minutes). So you do not have to leave them on the car, which results in better fuel economy when you do not need them.
I can clip or unclip the bars from the Yakima Landing Pads in less than a minute with the Landing Pads always in place at a perfect point. When the bars are off I put plastic covers covers over the small pads with zero noise, effect on economy, and nearly invisible on the roof.

Also, I know you don't care, but the Landing Pads allowed me to put my racks wherever I wanted on the roof, and not limited to just the front third of the rack.

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:02 pm

upnorthFord wrote:I will go one step further to inquire why even on most late model SUVs, no cross bars are installed at the factory? It seems that the functionality of these "roof racks" has taken a back seat on most vehicles, not just our FS/X cars. To this day, I believe the factory moveable crossbar/independent moveable tie downs rail system on my old 1995 Ford Explorer is the best out there, period. Very versatile with zero wind noise. I have carried everything from new carpet and new boxed patio furniture to my canoe with this rack without a problem.
Thinking more about this, the thin movable rails were indeed very useful for big loose items like ladders, lumber, Xmas trees, furniture and other big long cargo. The rails could be easily adjusted to fit the looose items anywhere on the rail.

But the thin movable rails were a bit more problematic in connecting with standard rack components like my Yakima cargo boxes and bike racks, that I use most frequently these days.

Everyone has their own preferences on cross bars, as even seen on this thread, so maybe Ford felt it was better to let people pick their own?

I also think it was mostly a marketing thing. If cross bars were standard, they'd need to be in every picture, and create the "wagon" image they wanted to get away from with the Crossover concept.

carlisle980

Post by carlisle980 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:11 pm

Aagghhh, I'm so confused! I'm a brand-new X owner (09) and all that I want is a way to mount a roof box. I do not understand 90% of the terminology used in this thread, because I'm not a sporty/outdoorsy type at all.

What I am is a stay-at-home mom of soon-to-be three little ones. Bought the X because with a new baby on the way, my beloved Saturn VUE (big enough to hold all my family's luggage in the cargo area on long trips) will not fir 3 car seats across the back. This idea of carrying cargo on the roof is completely foreign to me, but I can see I'm going to need to. All I need to carry is luggage; no bikes or skis or boats. Have a big out-of-state road trip at the end of this month and need an entire roof system in place by then.

From reading this entire thread, I was thinking of eBaying for 48" Yakima crossbars and Yakima Landing Pad 5's. I am really not versed in this stuff (in case you hadn't gotten that already) so I want to make sure I get everything I'll need. Do I need 2 pair of Landing Pads AND 2 pair of Control Tower Bases?

Guessing this rack system will work with any box that will fit the X? I want to get something that will last my family at least the life of this car, but with a baby on the way and major home renovations taking place, money is tight.

Thanks in advance for all help and advice! I feel so green!

PTownBronco

Post by PTownBronco » Tue May 03, 2011 3:43 am

carlisle980,

I have three kids also. We use a rear cargo carrier. Put our stuff in plastic totes and hold them down with bungee cords. I don't like putting stuff on the top of my car for long road trips. This may be worth looking into though. (If you do choose to go this route, be careful what you put near the exhaust though! I put a homemade shield on mine to aim the exhaust heat away from our stuff.)

Josh

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi ... 18121.html

dca

Post by dca » Tue May 03, 2011 9:46 am

If you go that route, you would need a hitch if you don't have one. Those cost ~$150 (not installed). Harbor Freight sells the carriers for $60 -$100, which is the cheapest you will find (there are also 20% off coupons).

I don't prefer that solution myself because you can't open the rear hatch when cargo on the carrier is present, and it extends the already minivan length distance (200") of the FS or TX. This would also render your backup sensors inoperable, if equipped.

I used a simple soft cargo bag on my Jeep, but it has crossbars. Places like Walmart and Target sell those bags. If you get the crossbars, you can use one of them, but many are not waterproof, so put trash bags around your luggage before stowing it. You could also use a simple basket from one of the roof cargo makers instead of buying one of their funky roof cases. They are like the rear cargo carriers, but for the roof.

I agree that your local bike shop (Yakima or Thule dealer) should be able to help with fit without too much trouble. It would be nice to give them the business, but you could check their price with an online product search for comparison. You should get install and warranty support from your local shop if you buy there.
2007 'Style SEL AWD, purchased 2011-Mar, 66kmi.

Kent

Post by Kent » Fri May 27, 2011 10:59 am

Has anyone tried this Thule rack from Sears? It would only fit on the open part, but it seems like a good price (for $180 it includes crossbars and feet and locks.... another outdoor store I went to wanted $180 just for the feet for a similar system)...

I just got a used '08 TX and have an old cargo box I want to keep using (fits on a Subaru Outback)... Based on my measurements, it will be cutting it close on the open part of the rails, but I *think* it will fit. Sears (and the outdoor store I also checked out) doesn't have a friendly return policy, so I'm hesitant to just buy it
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G8

infoW04

Post by infoW04 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:36 am

lattjiu wrote:Taurus X with Yakima Landing Pad 5 and 48 inch cross bars, very solid.

You can use the Yakima Landing Pad 5 without any modifications, but for extra strength I used Thomas & Betts - Superstrut 1/4 inch Spring Nuts and 1/4 inch stainless steel cap screws, all of which are inexpensive and fit LP5 perfectly.

In my opinion, the LP5 is a much better solution than all the modified methods others have been using (plumbing washers, custom retaining plates, etc.). If you choose to use the above Spring Nuts, you also can easily remove the LP5 and leave the Spring Nuts in the Taurus X roof rack for easy reinstallation later since the Spring Nuts alone remain firmly in place in the roof rack even at freeway speeds.

Home Depot SKU and part #'s:

Superstrut Spring Nut, 16013 09637 (Thomas & Betts part no. ZA 100 1/4)

Crown Bolt, 30699 71978 (1/4"x1", DR# - 413)

Good Luck!
This should be the best solution so far. The spring nut idea is great. Actually if there is something like below with the right diameter, then the expensive Yakima Control Tower is not needed at all.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Artifact ... /202019561

I am wondering why nobody makes such inexpensive ones.

ramair351

Post by ramair351 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 am

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone come up with an off the shelf cross bar solution that doesn't require multiple trips to home depot?

baf20prz

Post by baf20prz » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:37 am

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/7 ... -bars.html

I have used these on 08 TX SEL no problem - however they can only be mounted at the front of the rails where there's a gap to grab all the way around. I don't have a sunroof, so that's not an issue in my case, but that would be a possible problem for others. I have never loaded them with more than light but bulky camping gear in a nylon cargo bag. Worked fine for that, and not excessively noisy on highway. Clamps are operated with a long hex key - mount securely but small plastic cover is only theft deterrence. These are not directly compatible with bike trays, so that's another down side. Good luck.

Tauruskix

Post by Tauruskix » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:19 pm

Pulled trim pieces at the junk yard and cut out notches with a Dremel tool. Works great. Up to a 48" spread.
Attachments
20180805_172112.jpg
20180805_172112.jpg (53.06 KiB) Viewed 201 times
20180805_172035.jpg
20180805_172035.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 201 times