X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Gwendale

X - Roof Rack Cross Bars

Post by Gwendale » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:07 am

Does anyone know of aftermarket cross bars that can be fixed to the factory roof rack? I have looked at several sites and can't seem to find anything. I tried Ford parts and they were not very helpful. The roofr ack is not very useful without these? Any thoughts would be appreicated.

Thanks,

David

UltimateX

Post by UltimateX » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:40 am

Find a bike store that sells Thule racks. They should be able to fit some cross bars.

http://www.thulegroup.com/en/

Gwendale

Taurus X - Cross Bars

Post by Gwendale » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:53 am

Ultimate X - I looked at Thule, Yakima and most of the other major brands and unfortunately, no one has anything yet. Any other thoughts?

Alan

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:20 am

I use the Yakima bars I ordered from Ford for my focus, the clamps get a good grip on over half the rack, I'd need a different setup if I required a cross bar on the front 1/3 of the Freestyle factory. Anything with clamps should suffice, but the Ford parts guy should be able to look up the best model for the Freestyle.

UltimateX

Post by UltimateX » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:21 am

I just went through the car fit system, and I got 2 systems that matched the Taurus X.

Gwendale

Post by Gwendale » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:42 am

Although Thule lists two systems in their rack finder, neither system will fit. The problem is that the X's roof rack is flush against the roofline with the exception of approximately two feet at the front of the rack. The rack is slotted, so it appears that there may be a way to fit a "base" into the slots, but I have had no luck finding a base. I spoke with Ford and they do not have anything (the parts guy didn't even know what a Taurus X was).

UltimateX

Post by UltimateX » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:39 pm

Have you actually looked at the rack feet. Those may be generic pictures of the rack system. There are lots of vehicles with the slotted roof rack system. Best bet would be to go to a bike store and ask them to fit your car. They will usually help you install it, and you can inspect the feet before purchasing.

AK47

Post by AK47 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:25 pm

I had same problem when looking for cross bars. Nobody has anything what would fit TX, so I just simply gave up until spring ( thats when I need to care my boat for fishing). Hope at that time there will be something available. Othewise why design such a roof rack if you cant fit anything on :evil: ?
2008 TX, Merlot, FWD, SEL with everything but navigation...

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:58 pm

try the Yakima

the feet and cross bars are standard for all cars but they have different clamps to go with different rail setups.

what you will probably need to do with Yakima is get the larger clamp that they use on the Freebie for the front of your rack and a smaller clamp that will fit on the side of the rear rack.

If you go to a good retailer that has all clamps in stock you can test fit a bunch before you buy.

LarryQW

Post by LarryQW » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 pm

I noted the TX rack is not the same as the Freestyle. The back half is flush and can't take the claw that the Freestyle uses.

Yakima has the Taurus X listed on their Rack Fitter, but doesn't show anything. I sent them an email and got this response:

Sorry about that error message. With the Taurus X being a new model, we haven't been able to add it to our online database yet. We do know that it is out there and are working on a fit. We need to test every vehicle as it comes out with our racks to make sure that the fit is safe. Our Fit Team has not had an opportunity to test that vehicle. We cannot test anything until one becomes available from a dealership and then it has to go through rigorous testing to be sure it is a safe fit. Many times, once we’ve gone through all of the testing we can use one of our existing tower systems and call out the fit. That usually just takes a month or so after we’ve seen it. If we cannot use an existing system, we need to develop something especially for it and that does take at least 6 months to go through the development process.

I have logged that you requested a fit for your car, which will help show our engineers there is demand for it. Once the vehicle has been evaluated, www.yakima.com will be updated with the information (follow the “Fit My Car” link).

Thank you,
Yakima Support
Owner of Taurus X Limited - Ice Blue Metallic

Szyszka

Post by Szyszka » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:27 am

Why the heck did they have to change the rails on the X?

NorseaBlue

Post by NorseaBlue » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:32 am

Because they thought it would sell better this way. Go figure.
'05 SEL Norsea Blue/Shale Leather
Frt. Row Comfort/Aux Climate/50/50 3rd row

cvsting

Post by cvsting » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:47 pm

I still do not understand why I paid $30,000 for a car with no cross bars on the roof rack ? :roll:

UltimateX

Post by UltimateX » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:05 pm

NorseaBlue wrote:Because they thought it would sell better this way. Go figure.
The primary purpose of the roof rack is to hide the rising roof line. Functionality seems to be secondary. The Taurus X/Freestyle would look real ugly without the roof rack obfuscating the roof line. My Taurus X will be in the next week, so I will try Thule and see what I can find out. My 2000 Sable Wagon had the same type of channels so I have to believe there is already a foot out there that will hook into that slot.

chaimav

Post by chaimav » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:20 am

My dealer claimed Ford will have cross bars available later this year.....