If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Trade it or fix it?

soltj2

Trade it or fix it?

Post by soltj2 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:01 pm

My 05 FWD FS has 131500 on it (as of 12/2/19) and it's starting to show its age. I got the car back in November 2018 from a family member when my Chrysler blew up. This car definitely got me into Fords because it rides nice, dealer support is great, and parts are ALWAYS available. I change the oil every 3K with Motorcraft 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter along with the fuel and air filters from MC. I've been through a set of front brake calipers, a throttle body, control arms, tie rods, front stab links, and it'll soon have 6 new plugs and coils (all Motorcraft parts) and it's leaking oil/coolant/refrigerant somewhere. I say these three because I can smell it burning and just can't say for sure which one. In addition, the AC compressor went out (a $2000 repair) and after less than 1000 miles it stopped working again. The dealer will be hearing from me again after winter. It also keeps blowing out rear bulbs for brake/turn signals (I swear I've been through 10 bulbs since I've had it). I love Ford and wouldn't look at anything else, but what I am worried about is the nickel and diming cars do as they age. Should I keep the car and keep fixing the problems or just get a new car and keep this one as a spare? I've been looking at a 2015 Ford Escape 2.0L I4 Turbo AWD and a 2016 Ford Explorer 3.5L V6 XLT 4WD. Just not sure what to do.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Trade it or fix it?

Post by Webmaster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:03 pm

Repairing what you have is most likely the much cheaper option.