Throttle body HELP

jayb1976

Throttle body HELP

Post by jayb1976 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:47 am

After we rebuilt the tranny and spent a fortune cause the car had only 96.000 and in good shape, we found out that the throttle body can have some issues.Went to Ford with the documentation for throttle body recalls ( they rejected me explaining that the recall warranty etc was already expired for 2 weeks, that was last year). Quoted me $850 for changing it.Next step we cleaned it in the shop which lasted for another 6 months and was running after that same issue.I bought a refurbished tested one from ebay which lasted 1 week.Luckily the company refunded my money after sending it back, ordered a remanufactured one from carid ( https://www.carid.com/cardone/throttle- ... -FEALw_wcB ), issue is the same after 1 week.
I did everything as needs to be done disconnected everything, cleared the PCM, and did the re-learn process after installing the new one.This is a heated throttle body and ordered the same one the car was running very well, tested but any time the weather is getting cold below 40 degrees the issue start all over.Last error code I dah was P0701 but after changing the body, cleaned the codes was running perfectly, I am just disparate about this whole situation.
Please HELPPPPP if you now what should i do, or you have any thoughts.

crispywabet

Re: Throttle body HELP

Post by crispywabet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:07 am

Hello, I just found and bookmarked this forum, seems it'll be useful!
My Throttle Body (TB) causing lack of power and even stalling a few years ago, I've read a lot about them being a problem with the Freestyle (FS). The codes let me to the TB as well. Eventually the only thing that helped was for me to remove it, and clean all the crap out of it. I used a stiff brush, rags and throttle bottle cleaner. I didn't stop until it looked brand new, It has been fine ever since. No codes, no hesitation on acceleration, no stalling at high speeds.
I hope this helps!

jayb1976

Post by jayb1976 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:09 am

Thank you for your reply, mine is a remanufactured TB and still has the same issue (after changing the 3rd one) so after a lot of research on the forum I found out that the actual cold starting problem can be not from TB it can be from the malfunction of the mecatronic unit in the transmission or wrong (high pressure) filter size (aftermarket filter) which can fall in the oil pan.The error code is P0701.When tempreture is below 40 degrees it won’t go in drive mode and is shaking like crazy.Only thing i can do start-stop the car several times and wait sometimes 10-15 minutes before I can drive it, after that can run hundreds of miles without any problems.

crispywabet

Post by crispywabet » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Oh, wow, that's a lot different then what I had to deal with.
Good luck

Jim likes catwalks

Post by Jim likes catwalks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 pm

Hi sounds a bit like mine after fixing helicopter noise(input shaft needle bearing) ended up being mechatronic was not sending temperature data correctly to PCM which was putting it in limp mode until oil warmed up. Is your problem showing wrench light?

jayb1976

Post by jayb1976 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:39 pm

Yes it shows the wrench light and code is P0701,but there is no helicopter sound.After engine or tranny oil is warmed up will start normally that’s after 10-30 minutes depends on temperature, usually below 35 fahreneit starts aving issues.Can you advise me please what was the part you changed that solved your issue? Thank you.

Jim likes catwalks

Post by Jim likes catwalks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:25 am

I bought a used but lifetime guaranteed TCM for two hundred US from transmissionelectricstore and got whole mechatronic unit. My car wouldn’t get out of limp mode until transmission oil got up to 180 degrees fit. I bought a Scan tool so I could read oil temp once it got that warm I could clear my code which wa po942 and wrench light would go awAy. Until oil cooled down. The new to me mechatronic/TCM unit seems to have cured that. I actually thought my throttle body may have been causing the wrench light but cleaning it made no difference. The mechatronics seem to sometimes communicate badly with PCM don’t know why. Jim