If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

What's the max weight you put in your vehicle?

Mister Mitch
Location: North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada

What's the max weight you put in your vehicle?

Post by Mister Mitch » Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:49 am

Hi guys,

I decided to start this from the MPG post that I put last week. I thought it might be interesting to see who put the most weight in their vehicle...

jcs, states that he had 3 cases of wine, a huge dog, food and then items on top of his car, (which severly cut into his performance mpg). So far, I have only had 10 cases of wine in the back of my Freestyle. I make my own wine and I was sharing my tallents with a friend who's daughter was getting married.

Now I have stuff my Freestyle to bursting... but so far, this hasn't beat last weeks stuff I put inside My Precious...

Of all the loads I have put into my Freestyle, this was nothing compared to the 18 cases of porcelain floor tiles (13" x 13"), two bags of tile grout, and 4 bags of floor sealer, that I had inside the back, last week. The springs were still squishy and the shocks still worked, but the car's ass end was riding very low. I didn't bottom out or slam the axels either, when I was going over the mall speed bumps.

Each case of tiles felt like about 75 pounds. Now they may have been a little less than that, but still, at the end, they felt like 175 pounds each. But lets be conservative and say, 60 pounds each box, x 18 = 1080 pounds. Add about 50 pounds for each bag, x 6 = 300 pounds. Not quite 3/4 of a ton in the back area behind the back seat.

I was rather impressed that the excelleration (spelling?) wasn't effected for the highway ramps, with all that dead weight in the back.

The back tires were looking like they were low on tire pressure (always at 34 psi, give or take a bit). Then, I put a full tank of gas. How much does that weigh? 200 pounds? Well I just looked it up... 6 pounds per gallon x 19 gallons = 114 pounds.

So, excluding myself, The Mrs and the gas, I figure I have put 1,380 pounds inside my Freestyle.

All in all, more than what the folks at Ford had designed this vehicle to do.
2005 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
Titanium Green, Artic Grey trim
Adopted 17 September 2005.
Gave her up 1 November 2007, Got her back 4 February 2008.
Sold again 26 November 2009, upgraded to 2009 Ford Flex Limited.
Catch me at https://www.fordflex.net

Hammerhead

Post by Hammerhead » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:36 am

Me 250 pounds. I don't know, what a concrete block weighs, but I put four of them on the full board of the passenger and front side car. Then I laid the center and back seats down and made a piece of plywood across them to protect them that I had cut for this purpose. Then I stacked them 20 concrete blocks on the plywood starting at the very brought to of the piece of plywood closest to the driver's seat. I did it this way to help keep the weight centered somewhat in the vehicle. Then I placed another five blocks in the call go area in the rear of the vehicle. Then I put my 85 or 95 pound black lab and the passenger front seat.

On the way home this load definitely affected the vehicle's acceleration and stopping ability. I don't have the message center, and it was a short drive of about 10 miles home so I don't know what instead to the MPG's. Usually, at 75 mph that taxes 2100 RPM. That day. It red almost 3000 rpm and 75 mph. Overall, I was very impressed with the vehicle's home in ability after all. It's not an F 150.

Once I had myself. My wife and all four children in the car, while pulling a 1500 pound trailer. The freestyle pulled this load nicely at 75 mph. However, if I was going to do this regularly. I would definitely have to have a trailer with its own breaks. I was very concerned about the strength of the transmission this day, but it has done well.

I now have 53,000 miles on the car. Has anyone done that 60,000 mile transmission maintenance yet? If so where did you haven't done and then how much did it cost?

Footnote, I am using a new program oddball for my visually handicapped wife to speak this into the computer. It is called Dragon naturally speaking nine and seems to be varry. Good so far. If anyone is thinking about this program and is working great for us.

clynch1990

Re: What's the max weight you put in your vehicle?

Post by clynch1990 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:51 pm

i cart around about 1000lbs of mechanic tools daily

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 am

I've had 2 adults and 8 kids plus luggage in my Freestyle a few years ago. Just ask Africa_FS_07 to verify. :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 am

knowitall wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:59 am
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:16 am

And you know this, how, my friendly hippopotamus?

Willass Maximus

Re:

Post by Willass Maximus » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:39 am

Hammerhead wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:36 am

Once I had myself. My wife and all four children in the car, while pulling a 1500 pound trailer. The freestyle pulled this load nicely at 75 mph. However, if I was going to do this regularly. I would definitely have to have a trailer with its own breaks. I was very concerned about the strength of the transmission this day, but it has done well.
Was honestly thinking of pulling a trailer with a couple 4 wheelers with mine or even maybe a small boat. Just don't have the equipment yet. Was hoping to find the tow capacity on this post. 😜