If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

CVT Top off when changing just the HP filter...

Deckard_Cain

CVT Top off when changing just the HP filter...

Post by Deckard_Cain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:54 am

As in the Subject/title... I know my CVT has had the fluid changed, lower pan was removed, can only suppose the filter there was replaced. I actually suspect that the entire transmission was either replaced or rebuilt about 2000 miles ago, about 600 miles before I bought it, given how many times it changed hands and whom was involved.

But I cannot tell and am not sure about the HP filter. I'd like to replace it myself (or at least inspect it) to be certain of this. Obviously I'll lose some fluid taking it out. How much?

If I buy a qt to top it back off, is this sufficient? Will more than a quart come out of the high pressure filter port?

knowitall

Re: CVT Top off when changing just the HP filter...

Post by knowitall » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 am

The biggest potential issue will be stripping the two Torx head bolts. Use the correct attachment when taking the bolts out. Ask me how I know. :lol:

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:57 am

knowitall wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:49 am
The biggest potential issue will be stripping the two Torx head bolts. Use the correct attachment when taking the bolts out. Ask me how I know. :lol:
That would indeed suck. I have proper, good quality torx bit sets that fit onto 1/4" and 3/8" drive... so long as I pick the correct one... <fingers-crossed>.

Still unsure about the top off capacity though. Might just go with a single quart and see what happens.

ds32928

Post by ds32928 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Check it with the dipstick after, or, measure what runs out in a pan, and put that much back in. 1 quart is all you need to buy, wont take all of that. HP filter that was installed when they built the CVT had metal ends, Ford HP filter from the dealer has black plastic ends. That Ford replacement filter is fine, we all use them. You will need to support the CVT when you take the CVT mount off to get to the filter.

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:07 pm

ds32928 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm
Check it with the dipstick after, or, measure what runs out in a pan, and put that much back in. 1 quart is all you need to buy, wont take all of that. HP filter that was installed when they built the CVT had metal ends, Ford HP filter from the dealer has black plastic ends. That Ford replacement filter is fine, we all use them. You will need to support the CVT when you take the CVT mount off to get to the filter.
Sounds perfect... Thanks. Just knowing whether it'll leak 2oz or 20, or more is helpful.

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:13 pm

Just remember to NOT use ordinary transmission fluid. It will quickly destroy your transmission. There are many horror stories of people taking them to the dealer and having them use ATF.
Dwight

Deckard_Cain

Post by Deckard_Cain » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:14 am

dwighte wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:13 pm
Just remember to NOT use ordinary transmission fluid. It will quickly destroy your transmission. There are many horror stories of people taking them to the dealer and having them use ATF.
Dwight
Absolutely! Not even a "universal" cvt fluid that says it meets the spec is going to be used. I don't want to take the chance.

I'd like to get another 100k-120k mies from this car.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:13 am

You will need an inch-pound torque wrench to not strip out the bolts.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth