If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

2006 cvt problem

Ray

2006 cvt problem

Post by Ray » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 pm

i have a 2006 freestyle sel. my problem started as intermittent when i drive down the freeway and change lanes sometimes the transmission goes into fail safe and i would have to put it in neutral and restart the car and it be weeks before it would do it again but now just driving straight down the road or going around a corner it constantly goes into fail safe. does anyone know what is going on with it ? ive checked the fluid and all the wiring connections and nothing seems to fix the problem

Canuck-Ed

Re: 2006 cvt problem

Post by Canuck-Ed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:42 am

There is no single solution to this type of problem, but I have similar issues where the vehicle goes into "limp home" mode when I work the throttle hard on the high-way, particularly when letting off the gas and engine braking. Turning the car off and back on again clears the fault. Fortunately for me the car is fine in the city. Checking electrical connections is a good start, since loose ground connections can affect the transmission control module. I've done some more research lately and this particular issue points more towards the mechatronics module. If the transmission does not make any noise when the car is in park or neutral and does not "clunk" when but into drive, then that can be an indication that the input shaft and bearings are ok and the problem is in the mechatronics unit which controls the transmission. Failure of this type can lead to all sorts of different error codes when diagnosing the transmission, making it difficult to pinpoint the cause.

The mechatronics unit can be removed without pulling the entire transmission. There are several solenoids on the unit and each has a wire mesh filter which can get clogged. Cleaning/replacing those filters and replacing the high pressure filter can be the first step in attempting repair. There are also seals that can reduce pressure levels if they leak (these CVTs run at high internal pressures). If the problem persists, then it is possible that the entire mechatronics unit needs replacing, which gets expensive ($1k-$2k). Since the diagnostic codes do not point to a single issue and parts are difficult to come by, most repair shops will recommend replacing the entire transmission with a rebuilt one ($5k-$6k plus labour). That makes for some tough choices, because the cheaper filter cleaning is not a guaranteed fix and further repairs can get very expensive.

I've linked to a web site that led me to believe that this type of problem is due to mechatronics issues:
https://www.justanswer.com/transmission ... hat-s.html
I would recommend finding a local mechanic with experience repairing CVTs and discussing it in detail with them.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Might also be the throttle body.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

Canuck-Ed

Post by Canuck-Ed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:21 pm

I think the throttle body had a recall so most would have been fixed but the the poster could check their VIN for outstanding recall notices.

fuxxy

Post by fuxxy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:23 pm

IIRC, the throttle body "recall" did not replace any parts, Ford simply paid for dealers to clean the inside of the throttle body, which is really all that needs to be done. I clean mine every time I replace the engine air filter, since I've got the air intake hose off anyway.

What OP really needs to do is post a list of all active and unverified trouble codes, including TCM codes. Transmission Failsafe Mode is *usually* a pressure-related issue, since the CVTs rely on fluid pressure for literally every part of transmission operation. If ignored, these pressure issues can escalate into more serious issues.

montcady

Post by montcady » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:57 pm

Mine did the same thing. It was the CVT output shaft sensor. Got a used one off ebay for $40. New they are 140. Easy to change. Drop the pan and there it is.

Canuck-Ed

Post by Canuck-Ed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:30 am

Montcady, did you retrieve the codes before replacing the sensor? I would have to dig up the invoice but mine had 3 or 4 different diagnostic codes so it did not point to a single sensor being at fault, which is what leaves me to believe I have a mechatronics unit problem.

Ray

Post by Ray » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:01 am

whenever it goes into limp mode i get 2 codes p0701 & p0193 if one of the lower control arm bushings are worn would it cause the p0701 code ?

Brzeski7701

Post by Brzeski7701 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:56 am

Hi,
J scan my ford obd2 tester.
Fauld:
P701
P0868
P0811.
This fauld talk me tcm is no working.