If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Help me please. TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

AntStarcher

Help me please. TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

Post by AntStarcher » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi I have a 2007 freestyle awd cvt transmission. It has around 160000 miles. It makes the noise everyone is talking about but it's been running fine. Earlier this week the rpms starts going up and down unless I was going at a steady speed and then they would be fine. Earlier today when I was almost home it started jerking and making a weird nose. Not sure how to describe the notice so I hurried and pulled up but I noticed when I hit the gas it didnt go anywhere. Now when I start the car and try to put it in any gear it will not move or go anywhere and when I put it in low gear it makes a kind of grinding werid nose but will not move. It doesn't seem like it will go into and gear at all now and the wrench light is on. Can someone please help. It it's the only car me and my family have and I need to figure out what it could be and fix it asap. any help would be really awesome and appreciated. Thanks.

mmsstar

Re: Help me please. TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS AND DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

Post by mmsstar » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:12 pm

Your CVT needs to be repaired or replaced
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

AntStarcher

Post by AntStarcher » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:01 pm

I figured that much. Just didnt know what in it could have went wrong with it. If its nothing to serious I was going to try to fix it my self this weekend. Just needed a starting point to start at.

fuxxy

Post by fuxxy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:46 am

It sounds like you let the noise go so long that you have bearing, shafts, and possibly races damaged now.

I'm all for the DIY, and I just completed a rebuild myself. This job is not for the faint of heart.

You'll need to start with a rebuild kit - Those go for about $350, and will include all the seals, gaskets, and possibly clutch frictions.

You're going to need a LOT of tools. The entire front subframe has to come out, including suspension. The subframe, engine, and transmission weigh roughly 800 lbs. There are others on the forum that have managed to pull their transmission without pulling the engine, but I don't suggest doing it that way. You'll have an easier time working on separating and mating the engine and transmission with the subframe out.

Depending on what all needs to be replaced, you'll need a source for the parts. I pulled two transmissions from a DIY junkyard, split the cases in the yard to make sure the parts I needed were good, and then took the pile of parts home. You'll also need the specialized tool set to remove & hold the variators. I purchased the Rotunda 2005D2 tool set, at about $1000 used.

Above all, you'll need LOTS of time and patience.