Need advise on tranny

HockeyCar

Need advise on tranny

Post by HockeyCar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:20 am

Hi everyone,
New member here with a request for advise. I’m not a mechanic, nor do i have a lot of experience or knowledge with cars. What i do have is a great Freestyle that has been with me for 12 years and 100,000 miles ( I got her used with 59k so she has 160k total). It carried my kids and I all over the place and she’s been just great...she houses lots of memories. Unfortunately over the past few months the transmission has been acting up a bit (although she drives great 95% of the time). Culminating in a visit to the Ford dealer after popping codes P0701, P0715 and U2023. After 24hours and trans guy looking at her, the shop says to essentially take her home and ride her into the sunset unless i want to pay 6k for a new transmission. So, my plan is to bring her home and continue using the car until she can’t go anymore. She’s been awesome and I wish there was something I could do to keep her road worthy, but her age and the cost of repairs seems like good money chasing bad choices. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? As an FYI, the shop suggested i change the trans filter and fluid as it had never been done...so I did do that-I know it won’t fix the issue but it certainly won’t hurt either.
Thanks

Jim likes catwalks

Re: Need advise on tranny

Post by Jim likes catwalks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:25 pm

Has it been going into limp mode ever that is showing wrench light on dash?

HockeyCar

Post by HockeyCar » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm

Not sure what limp mode is. The last time the rpms rose but the car didn’t seem to respond..Each time it’s done it I’ve been able to pull over, turn off and turn on the car which shuts the wrench light off and drive normally for weeks. Interestingly the car has done it on the same stretch of road 2 of the 3 times-modest down grade, 60 mph @apprx 1800 rpm then long, very slight uphill grade.
Hope that helps

MrBugatti

Post by MrBugatti » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm

It might be a long shot but a few years back my moms 06 five hundred had a problem to where it wouldn't move only in reverse then we had it flat bedded to the dealer and had the pcm reprogrammed and now with 210,000 miles all is well so If your not sure if the pcm was ever updated it might be worth checking in to because the update came out long after you picked up your freestyle.
Last edited by MrBugatti on Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

HockeyCar

Post by HockeyCar » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Interesting. As a update the car is running great. Ford dealer suggested i take it home and let it die a slow death, but they did suggest an ATF change. The stuff must have worked a miracle because the car runs great and no issues since...Next time though i may have them check the PCM. Knock on wood.

MrBugatti

Post by MrBugatti » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:03 pm

Good to hear those transmissions are super sensitive to litirally everything I personally waited too long to change the fluid on my moms car too long=199k miles but if I were to do it again I would recommend every 50k miles at minimum every 100k miles

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:27 am

I do it every 50K miles and change the HP filter at that time as well.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth