If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

CVT High Pressure Filter O-Rings

tidquist

CVT High Pressure Filter O-Rings

Post by tidquist » Sun May 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Went to change the CVT fluid and high pressure filter. One of the torx head bolts holding the filter housing stripped. After arguing with it for a while, I decided to just change the fluid and deal with the filter later. I had already pulled the two metal lines out of the housing (why, oh why did I do that) and when I put them back, I used the four new o-rings from the FT178 filter kit as I was dubious about the old ones holding up. Now I have the filter kit without those four o-rings for when I finally do get that bolt out. Does anyone know the size of those o-rings? I cannot find the old ones I took off to measure them. I could just buy another FT178 kit, but I hate to waste $35.00. I presume if I find the right OD and thickness, I can get o-rings that are compatible with oils and transmission fluids and I should be OK.

On another note, I did the fluid change with Valvoline CVT fluid. 700 miles so far and all is well. I will report back in as the mileage increases.

Thrusty

Re: CVT High Pressure Filter O-Rings

Post by Thrusty » Sun May 28, 2017 5:17 pm

Buy an o ring assortment kit from harbor freight. They are usually $7.99, they come with several hundred o rings.

Splicer

Post by Splicer » Sun May 28, 2017 7:55 pm

tidquist wrote:Went to change the CVT fluid and high pressure filter. One of the torx head bolts holding the filter housing stripped. After arguing with it for a while, I decided to just change the fluid and deal with the filter later.
Didn't happen to be the bottom one, was it? :lol:
tidquist wrote:On another note, I did the fluid change with Valvoline CVT fluid. 700 miles so far and all is well. I will report back in as the mileage increases.
I used the same fluid when I changed mine (minus the HPF due to a stripped torx head :evil: ) at 250,000 and we have 283,000+ and all is well (knocks on wood) so I don't think you need to worry. :)
2007 Freestyle Limited FWD 302,000+ miles 8)
2004 Escape XLT FWD 260,000+ :)
2006 Escape Hybrid AWD 125,000+ :mrgreen:

tidquist

Post by tidquist » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:46 pm

I appreciate the info on the o-rings and the Valvoline CVT fluid.

And yes, it was the bottom torx head on the filter housing that stripped out.
One of these days, I'll get that thing out and do another fluid change and the HPF.

Based on my 1,400 miles and the multiple 20K+ reviews I've seen, I am another vote in favor of using the Valvoline CVT fluid.

Thanks for all the info from everyone over the years.