If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Noise at high speed, looking for thoughts

FordTaurus

Re: Noise at high speed, looking for thoughts

Post by FordTaurus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 am

After test drive, tech was saying it's the rear hubs causing the noise.

I am glad, but uneasy. Reading about the cvt and ptu problems on freestyles. I am afraid of spending money replacing the hubs, then find out is the cvt making noise.

Quoted $1600 rear hubs and 4 new tires.

Writer suggested have tech take a look at the cvt and ptu this afternoon. I will go for a test drive with tech tomorrow morning.

FordTaurus

Post by FordTaurus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:20 pm

After weeks and months of concern, here is the final outcome.

After diagnosis and test driving with technician, finally got a booking took the car to do the replacement of the rear hubs.

The noise was caused by the rear hubs. Now it is as quiet as can hear bird chirping.

Now I am not used to the quietness, thought I am driving a new vehicle.

Thank you all!

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:28 pm

Please tell me you didn't pay too much for the hubs!

I just replaced my front 2 about a week ago and I got them for $63. That's $63 for BOTH FRONT HUBS!!!!!!! And it took all of an hour to install them.

I don't tell you this to discourage you, but to let you know that the job is easy and the parts are cheap.

Glad you got your issue figured out.

Another thing I would point out is that someone mentioned the bearing that is going bad could be diagnosed by sharp turning and reducing the weight on each axle/hub. If it gets quiet then that axle/hub that is damaged. I had a well respected mechanic do this and he got the wrong hub. Had to replace the other one a week later. I actually think they were both going bad.

Anyway, I took it to a tire guy and he put it on jacks and listened to it rolling. He showed me and let me hear the hub making the noise. That was a proper diagnosis.
Last edited by pmassey31545 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
2007 Limited AWD
2009 Ford Flex SEL, 2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry

Dstrahler

Post by Dstrahler » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:11 am

Check the tread on your tires. If the tread on the front wheels are lower than the back it will trigger the ptu to engage the AWD. This will ruin the AWD system.