If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Same old story 05 Freestyle problem

Mike51Merc

Re: Same old story 05 Freestyle problem

Post by Mike51Merc » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:27 am

I did some quick internet research on CVT contamination (wrong fluids) and found some stories where it took thousands of miles before failure. Go figure.

Well, at 177K miles your Freestyle doesn't owe you much, and I guess you never suffered the CVT "Helicopter" failure like many of us have. You have some tough decisions to make. Fixing your Haldex first and then a potential transmission swap later. May be time to just drive it till it dies, or sell it while you still can.

In running condition values are around $4K-$5K with average mileage. With bad trans $1K-$2K.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:52 pm

If I was you I'd do a few more drain and fills with the correct fluid, every 100 miles maybe? You won't get everything out that way but it should do enough to give you more time with it.

Or be a Guinea pig and keep driving on that fluid until it blows up and just replace the CVT if it does.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:26 am

Eddy, sorry for your troubles! One thing you have going for you is that you used Haldex fluid vs. something else. It's a non-detergent 20W oil, so it's about the least likely to cause contamination. Honestly, I think if the transmission would have failed you'd already, with a terrible noise from the input shaft bearing or limp mode from the belts slipping.

The other thing you have going for you is that you can't get more than about 60 percent of the fluid out of there, so you still have *some* additive in there still working (which is why the car was functioning).

All that said, you really need to get as much of that fluid out of there as possible. Here's what I would do if I were you:
-I wouldn't drive the car. I've have it towed to the place to have it worked on(seriously).
-I'd get about 20 qt of CVT fluid, a new pan filter and a new HP filter
-draining the pan, re-fill.

From here, you have two options:

Option 1:
-start the car, run it for a bit (20 minutes until it's up to full operating temp to push fluid through the cooler)
-drain CVT fluid from pan
-remove pan and change filter
-remove the trans oil cooler and manually flush
-remove the HP filter
-refill system, run for 20 minutes, then re-check/re-set fluid level (important, as it'll drop as fluid enters the cooler)
-do one more drain and fill

At this point, you'll have around 92% new fluid.

Option 2:
-drive the car to get it up to operating temp
-drain pain
-remove the HP filter, and connect a piece of vinyl tubing to the HP feed line
-dump 10 qt of CVT fluid into a bucket
-run one line from the CVT feed line to the bucket on new fluid
-hook up some vinyl tubing to the output line (have to consult manual for the line identification)
-start the car, place it into "D" and flush the fluid. Stop when you've drained the bucket
-drop the pan and replace the pan filter
-replace HP filter
-remove and flush oil cooler
-refill system, drive, then re-set level

This will give you as complete a flush as you can do without disassembling the transmission.

Method 1 is obviously a bit less work, but it ignored the fluid in the torque converter. Unless you do method 2, you'll still have some old (mixed) fluid in there (holds about 2 qt, after a drain and fill you'll have about 16 oz of Haldex fluid in there.

Also, if you're doing method one, removing the oil cooler may not be worth it. It's a lot of labor, and you're still not going to have all new fluid in there.

The bummer is that the Volvo guy sent you down the wrong path when you asked for the correct Haldex filter.

If it makes you feel any better, there was a guy on here who topped off his brake reservoir with coolant. This was a more expensive and time-consuming mistake that this one! Plus, the shop that did the work should have done a bit more due diligence, so they should be able to help you out on labor, as this is going to take some time.

I think it's worth doing, as transmissions are expensive for this beast. Doing it myself, I'd do method 2. Paying someone to do it, I'd probably opt for method 1 and hope for the best.

Good luck!

jpz

Post by jpz » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:00 pm

My fingers are crossed for you. Keep the PA Freestyle's alive!

Jim likes catwalks

Post by Jim likes catwalks » Sat May 06, 2017 11:20 pm

This may be too late to help much but if you drop the pan and also take out the mechatronic unit and let it drain you will eventually have about eight litres of oil out of the transmission. Hope this helps. You do have to be careful disconnecting the electrical connectors to the mexhatronic unit as the clips are abit tricky to spot to disengage them. There are long tabs on each of them to pull the connectors out with Hope this helps.

pmassey31545

Post by pmassey31545 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 am

eddy622611 wrote:
Fortunately he was only able to drain out between 4 and 5 qts. So it is less than 50% Haldex fluid in there. Is there a way to drain the CVT completely ?
eddy622611
From what I've read 4-6 qts is about normal. As for draining, as mentioned the only way would be to remove the CVT and drain it.

My suggestion would be to have the fluid drained and filled again. You'll NEVER get all of the Haldex fluid out. But right now half of your trans capacity is haldex. You drain and refill and each time you do the amount of Haldex fluid will decrease and the CVT fluid will increase. Out with the old, in with the new.

So this time you drain roughly-a 50/50 mixture-1 part Haldex to 1 part CVT ratio. So in theory you drain half of each fluid.
When you add the new fluid you'll have a 3 parts CVT to 1part Hal-or 75/25 mixture.
Next service you drain half of each fluid again and your ratio increases to 7 to 1. ANyway, the formula is out there somewhere and is exponential. In theory, you could never really get all of the Haldex out.

I got bored-I made spreadsheet just for you. Here's a screenie. In short, it would take forever and a lot of $$$ and fluid. You may be better off having a mechanic pull and drain it.
Attachments
CVT.PNG
CVT.PNG (42.93 KiB) Viewed 260 times
2007 Limited AWD
2009 Ford Flex SEL, 2002 F150 Lariat Supercrew, 2005 Kawasaki 1500 Classic, 1999 Toyota Camry