If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

No throttle response, wrench/engine light, lack of gear

Elephant

No throttle response, wrench/engine light, lack of gear

Post by Elephant » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:46 am

I've done some research here on this but couldn't find the same scenario, figured I might as well start another thread.

2006 FWD Limited, ~187k miles on it, CVT. Last night we rec'd a bunch of snow and I was taking the car into town to get the new pair of front snows mounted (rears are fine, I know snows work in sets). I stopped on the side of the road for a second (another story not relevant) and when I got back in to leave I realized I was off to the side enough to be stuck. I tried doing the rocking method just a few times and then rec'd the engine light, wrench, and no throttle response.

Details of the rocking:

1. Stuck going forward so I put it in reverse, slight movement, hit brake.
2. Foot on brake, engine speed idle, no tire spin, put in drive.
3. Slight forward motion, hit brake, engine speed returns to idle no tire spin, put in reverse.

I did this twice and realized I forgot to turn the TC off which I then did. I did the above about 3 more times before I got the lights and no throttle response. There was no bang/clunk/noises to indicate any failure. To date I've never had any trans issues, in any weather or temperature like I've read in other people's posts. I have not had any throttle body work done so I'll consider this a possibility but it would be quite a coincidence given no signs of issue with this prior.

The vehicle was hot (IE normal op temp, not cold, not warming up still, etc) when this occurred. I tried shutting it down and restarting but same issue. I get no throttle response but most of the time I hit the gas, the engine speed drops slightly (no indication of movement from the vehicle) and then when I lift off I get sort of a surge....as in it's in gear and moves forward (or reverse depending on gear selected) slightly.

I have not been able to read the codes because I couldn't drive it. This happened within a mile from my house so I simply towed it home. I let it sit in the drive for a couple hours and tried again and same symptoms. This morning I went out and tried reverse first. I was able to move rearward but it's very slow, like a limp mode. I did not try forward. I plan to disconnect the battery this eve (but hoping I can read codes first) and see if I can get a reset.

I will be honest about the state of maintenance....I've never changed the fluid/filters in the trans, I bought the car I think ~5 years ago with 67k on it. As I said, we've never had any trans problems at all, in any weather or temperature. Based on other threads I do not think it's temperature/filter related, again it would be quite a coincidence. But it's certainly possible. I don't have a lot of experience with automatic transmissions (CVT or otherwise) as I much prefer manual transmissions. What I've read about fluid changes, at least with other makes, is do it per the suggested intervals or don't do it at all. I don't quite understand that logic but whatever.

If anyone has any insight I'd be happy to hear it. I want to make sure it's operating correctly because we plan to sell it in the not too distant future (passing it on to a family that could use a decent car for cheap). If it's dead I'll dump it at the dealer and probably lease a fusion but I'm thinking it's not a major failure. I could be wrong though.......

Thanks.

Jack
'06 FWD, 187k

Elephant

Re: No throttle response, wrench/engine light, lack of gear

Post by Elephant » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:51 am

Update on this (wish there were some response on this)....I disconnected the battery for a few hours and restarted. Same problem, lights return, no throttle response. When I put the trans in gear it seems to engage and will roll forward/backward at engine idle speed. Engagements are kinda harsh but it does engage. I disconnected the battery again yesterday and left it for ~16hrs, same symptoms, nothing changes. I borrowed a code reader from Autozone and it shows only one code, P0701. I'll have to research that code more because I've seen it mentioned here numerous times but didn't read too much into it yet. I'm leaning towards a throttle body issue since it *seems* the trans could be ok.

I'm going to see if I can find one at a local junkyard to try. I think it's time to move on, may just trade it in this weekend. I really was trying to keep it in good running order to pass it on to a local family that could use a decent car but perhaps this isn't it. I certainly don't want to pass on problems that could be expensive to fix, defeats the purpose.

I have to say, this vehicle certainly never excited me but it was a solid family car for us for several years and several long road trips (CO, FL, NC). I hated FWD (in general, not just this car, worst farce ever pushed on the public) but it was a good riding car and personally I really liked the CVT even though in general I very much dislike automatics. I would consider owning another but it would AWD for certain.

Cheers.

Jack
'06 FWD, 187k

Elephant

Post by Elephant » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:52 am

Any comments? Right now I'm leaning towards the TB being the issue but before I spend another dime on it I'd like to have some confidence in this. Can I just swap TB's or is some type of coding or cal flash required? If nothing is required I might try to find one at a junkyard (or even see if I can get one at work) just to try to confirm. But if I have to take it to the dealer I may lost interest. I'm only willing to spend $200-300 bucks on this and obviously if it's the trans it will be more. Thanks for any help.

Jack
'06 FWD, 187k

jas88

Post by jas88 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:27 am

The symptoms you describe are consistent with the "limp home" mode, which can be triggered by a bad TB. However, in every instance of the TB causing it that I have heard of or experienced, restarting the car always cleared the problem, at least temporarily. Whatever failure you have, it's not intermittent.

P0701 is a transmission code. I am wondering if your rocking has killed the CVT. You said it has never been serviced, so it might not take much to cook the fluid.

If you still suspect the TB, I would pull the TB off and try to clean it first. Disconnect the batt while you do this so the computer will reset again.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Elephant

Post by Elephant » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:58 pm

Yeah, I think it is likely not the TB.... I was hopeful but I think that is not the reality. I still wonder if the trans has failed. I might accept the mechatronic unit (it will engage harshly both forward and reverse and roll at idle speed) but even that is beyond my interest level in repairing. If the rocking killed it then it was on its way out anyway, I did just a few rocks (and I know how to properly rock an auto trans vehicle), no way it over heated. If the weather clears up a bit this weekend (looks like it will) I will disconnect the battery again, remove and clean the TB and give it one last shot. I will also try to borrow a proper code reader from work to see if I can get more info. After this though, unless I can definitively find a ~$200 solution it will be time to let it go.

Thanks for the response.

Jack
'06 FWD, 187k

Tool

Post by Tool » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Check your speed sensors. They are located behind your rotor near the outer tierod end. Only time I've seen the wrench light come on on my 06 sel was when I had one bad rear sensor (mine is AWD)
I think it was $30 to replace. It did break apart in there so I reamed out with appropriate drill bit I believe it was two 10mm bolts that held it in.

Elephant

Post by Elephant » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:44 pm

Ok so I borrowed a proper code reader from work and was able to retrieve these codes:

P0868, P0871, P0961, P0811, P0701

I was also able to drive it around my neighborhood (forward and reverse) but it was very much in limp mode. The trans makes no odd noises so I still am not confident the trans has "failed." I'm going to check the fluid but probably won't get to that til this weekend. I will probably drop the pan as well and inspect for bits. If I find nothing I will replace the HP filter, pan filter, and whatever fluid I remove and see what happens. I will report back. Thanks.

Jack
'06 FWD, 187k

Elephant

Post by Elephant » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:21 am

So this weekend I finally got around to messing with the car again. I checked the fluid and other than being reddish/brown it didn't stink nor did it look in poor condition. The fluid level look appropriate. I went ahead and changed the high pressure filter and put it all back together. No change even after disconnecting the battery for 30-40mins, codes return, and at best limp mode operation. It engages gears and moves but very slowly with high engine revs. I guess I should not necessarily keep calling this limp mode. One could suggest that it is slipping and maybe it is though it doesn't seem like it. Anyway, out of time with it so it's up for sale on Craigslist, hopefully someone else can do something with it. Thanks for the help.

Cheers.

Jack
'06 FWD Limited, For Sale

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:15 pm

All those codes indicate faults in the Mechatronics Unit in the Pan of the CVT and not the whole CVT itself, pressure related codes.

With those codes, the Mechatronics Unit has packed up. There's a TSB somewhere in this site that lists those codes and they all point to issues in the Mechatronics Unit (valve body).

The good thing is that there's no need to drop the CVT to change the Mechatronics Unit, it can be accessed from under the car (first removing the CVT Oil Pan), and also unscrewing the Electronic feed Socket that is attached to the Mechatronics.....this Connector is accessed from inside the Engine bay, it is on top of the CVT in the Engine bay. See the Feed Socket on the left of the Mechatronics unit:

you would first need to unscrew this Plug that comes from the PCM and connects to the Socket on the Mechatronics:

There's a PDF "How to" remove the Mechatronics Unit in this forum (in the process of dropping the CVT), see my post here with the PDFs:

viewtopic.php?t=6161

however, this expert also says there's a further issue with the fluid pump;

https://www.justanswer.com/ford/8ld81-f ... p0871.html
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Lunchbox420

Re: HELP PLEASEresponse, wrench/engine light, lack of gear

Post by Lunchbox420 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:39 pm

I have a 05 freestyle sel my check engine light is on and a traction light I can be driving down the road and all of a sudden the car gets a wench that lights up and when that happens I put it in natural turn car off and back on put it backed in drive and it's fine for a bit but when all that happens I give it gas and nothing I floor it no power but engine revs up rpms go up but car don't go it's like no power

dwighte

Post by dwighte » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:44 am

This sounds to be a different problem, LunchBox. Elephant's issue could be a TB but rocking the vehicle back and forth could have ripped a motor mount. Often one can then tear the rubber hose from the air filter to the TB. You'd then lose the mass air sensor function. It won't run more than an idle.
Your problem sounds to be a transmission issue.
Dwight

Lunchbox420

Post by Lunchbox420 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:37 pm

thank you it through a u1900 code