If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Charging System

allenddiamond

Charging System

Post by allenddiamond » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:45 am

I need a little assistance if someone is able to. I have an 06 Freestyle. Yesterday, the Charging System error came on. I was 100 feet from my driveway and the transmission wouldn't shift, so I coasted in. I tested the battery when I got home and it was a little low, so I am thinking Alternator. I want to pull out the alternator and have it tested, but I see no easy way to do so without taking the engine apart. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

RoccoT

Re: Charging System

Post by RoccoT » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:23 pm

Yeah your alternator is going bad, you need to get it replaced, I had my alternator changed 3!!! times because of faulty ones from Advanced Auto... if you got atleast 130-150k miles on it, more then likley it's time for a new one.

clynch1990

Post by clynch1990 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:14 pm

take the wheel off i changed mine in 30 minutes theres 3 nuts 15mm on the body a plug and a 10mm nut for the positive as well as a retarded shroud

clynch1990

Post by clynch1990 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:14 pm

did mine 3 times in 30 days

kc4wvl

Post by kc4wvl » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Do yourself a favor, do not use an aftermarket alternator on the Freestyle or Taurus X.

If you do, you have roughly only a 20% chance of the aftermarket alternator working correctly. It has to do with the aftermarket re-manufacturers use of the least expensive parts in the voltage regulators. The voltage regulator in the Freestyle and the Taurus X communicates with the PCM. If the signal is not correct, the PCM illuminates the Check Engine light and will store a slew of codes.

Do yourself a favor and spend the extra money and get a new Motorcraft alternator. They are available through Rockauto.com or your local parts store.

I've been through the pain and agony. (4 alternators since July 2018 (it is now July 2019). I got 10 months out of one of them. Then went through 3 in as many weeks. There is now a Motorcraft alternator that has now lasted 2 months.

For those that claim that voltage regulators don't talk to a PCM, Ford has been using that system now since 2003 or 2004.
KC4WVL
07' SEL Dark Blue Pearl / Light Gunmetal / Pebble Cloth / FWD

fuxxy

Post by fuxxy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:08 pm

kc4wvl wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:21 pm
For those that claim that voltage regulators don't talk to a PCM, Ford has been using that system now since 2003 or 2004.
I had this exact issue. On my Freestyle, I replaced with a Motorcraft reman alternator, from the dealership. The alternator I received worked perfectly, kept the battery charged, output the correct voltage depending on engine RPM, etc. I was still getting the "Check Charging Sys" warning. I did a LOT of research and came to the conclusion that the voltage regulator in my alternator was receiving the commands from the PCM, and responding, but not relaying the current status to the PCM. I replaced JUST the voltage regulator with a new one, and the "Check Charging Sys" went away.

Keep in mind that this was way back in 2010-2012, so details are hazy.

kc4wvl

Post by kc4wvl » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:10 pm

Thanks for your response. I installed a brand new Motorcraft alternator, not a rebuild. No codes and everything seems to be working. It's been a month and I've not had any charging system issues nor any codes.
KC4WVL
07' SEL Dark Blue Pearl / Light Gunmetal / Pebble Cloth / FWD