If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Ack! hope not a big issue

GreenEnvy

Ack! hope not a big issue

Post by GreenEnvy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:42 am

So I bought a 2007 freestyle LTD a couple weeks ago, 138,000km's on it, near Toronto, Canada.

It had the jammed middle bench seatbelt issue which the dealer said he would fix when the parts came in. I brought it in today and they replaced the seatbelt and mechanism.

I leave the dealer and about 10Km down the road the check engine light came on, doh!

Car seems to be behaving ok, so not sure what is going on yet. When I get home tonight I'll hook it up to my laptop with my Scantool ODB2 scanner and see what the code is for.

Hoping for nothing major! I did put gas in earlier in the day today, would be so happy if it was just the fuel cap.

GreenEnvy

Re: Ack! hope not a big issue

Post by GreenEnvy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Code 2272
O2 sensor signal biased/ stuck lean (bank 2 sensor 2)

So i will do some reading on that, but my first thought would be o2 sensor which isn't the end of the world.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:48 pm

GreenEnvy

Post by GreenEnvy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:27 am

Today code came back, along with 2270 which is the other bank. So not likely 2 sensors bad, so I think it really is detecting lean. What would be most likely cause of both banks running lean? Fuel filter? Injectors? Something else?

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:34 am

lots of possibilities, but things to check:

-clean MAF sensor
-check for vacuum leaks
-pinhole leak in the intake manifold

I'd spend your time chasing the air part of the equation vs. the fuel part--if it were fuel, you *should* have some other codes going on, since fuel pressure is monitors a few places along the chain.

Generally, things like this are easy to fix, tough to diagnose... Good luck!

GreenEnvy

Post by GreenEnvy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks for the input. Most simple one seems to be the propane method. I'll hookup the OBD2 scanner and watch the o2 sensor as I release small amounts of propane around different areas (well ventilated of course) and see if I can find a link.

One thing that confused me, was I thought I'd see the lean showing up on the pre-cat o2 sensors, not the post cast ones, assuming it was a vaccum leak. I'm no mechanic though :)

Could also be an exhaust leak somewhere near the post-cat sensors too, so I'll check around there as well.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:00 pm

GreenEnvy wrote:
One thing that confused me, was I thought I'd see the lean showing up on the pre-cat o2 sensors, not the post cast ones, assuming it was a vaccum leak. I'm no mechanic though :)
The quick answer: not necessarily. There are a few different possibilities as to why, but particularly with lean conditions it's actually more likely they'll present at the rear sensors on most modern cars.
GreenEnvy wrote:Could also be an exhaust leak somewhere near the post-cat sensors too, so I'll check around there as well.
While that's possible, I'm going to bet you'd smell that right away, AND have some driveability issues as well.

Let me know what you find out!

GreenEnvy

Post by GreenEnvy » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi all,
I've finally gotten around to checking into this. So the MIL still comes on and off all the time. I hooked up my OBD2 scanner and watched the sensor readings.
I tried dispersing propane in the engine bay around all the hoses, manifolds, etc, but could not see any difference in readings as I did this.
I did see a difference in reading when I stuck the propane near the air intake, as expected.

Notice on the attached graph, the sensor that is complaining i showing a constant 0.8V, vs the other one's constant 1V.

Does this help anyone have any ideas on likely issue?
Car still seems to be driving fine, but I do notice a strong exhaust smell if I go stand near the tailpipe, much stronger then is normal on a modern car.

I get about 22-23MPG highway, and 19MPG in city for mileage.

Also, as for which sensor is which. Which is bank1, the bank that comes off the front side cylinders, or the other?
I'm guessing the cat's are right before those sensors, the diced-tomato sized can looking things right before the sensors?

Thanks for any input
Attachments
FreestyleO2Sensors2.jpg
FreestyleO2Sensors2.jpg (221.3 KiB) Viewed 1381 times

GreenEnvy

Post by GreenEnvy » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Ignore the last graphic, that was tested atvidle which I'm told is not the best.

I replaced the Bank2 sensor2 today as a easy form of troubleshooting. I'll see if light returns in a day or two.

I did notice the sensor was pretty black/sooty, which I would think means its running rich( though code says lean). See pic.
Comparatively, I replaced an original o2 sensor in my 04 elantra a couple weeks ago and it was still squeaky clean.
Attachments
14115961743660.jpg
14115961743660.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 1316 times

GreenEnvy

Post by GreenEnvy » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Well it's been over a month since I swapped that o2 sensor, and no check engine light has returned, car seems to be running fine.

Now, onto replacing the CVT fluid and high pressure filter...

Johnitta

Post by Johnitta » Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm

I have a 2006 and cannot locate bank 2 sensor 2. I have looked everywhere and I can't find any sensors post cat. All of the diagrams I have looked up show something different than what I'm seeing. I am so frustrated.

xvert

Post by xvert » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 pm

Johnitta wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm
I have a 2006 and cannot locate bank 2 sensor 2. I have looked everywhere and I can't find any sensors post cat.
Are you second owner? There are people who remove the internal of catalyc converters, oxygen sensors and reprogram the PCM for a small increase in engine power or they do not want to remove bad catalyc converters.
Johnitta wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:20 pm
All of the diagrams I have looked up show something different than what I'm seeing. I am so frustrated.
Could you show?
Attachments
2.image.png
2.image.png (28.71 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Exaust_2_2_2.png
Exaust_2_2_2.png (222.86 KiB) Viewed 556 times

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri May 18, 2018 5:54 am

So bank 2 is on the front of the engine (closest to the radiator), as you see it the diagram. There is a cat attached directly to the exhaust manifold and then the O2 sensor should be directly downstream from that, before the Y-pipe.

Nice diagrams, xvert.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Johnitta

Post by Johnitta » Sun May 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Well, I just now figured out how to check my replys. I got frustrated and replaced sensors until it didn't come up on my code readed. Now I fear I am going to have to replace the throttle body again. I went cheap and I believe I'm paying the price.