Swap 500 6 sp into Freestyle possible.

419bill

Re: Swap 500 6 sp into Freestyle not possible.

Post by 419bill » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:45 am

they prolly wont work havent had to use them yet.. but if you know how to drive you dont need them,, me personally dont like them

mr220v

Post by mr220v » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:58 am

Dont know about the traction control, but the abs module is active as this is what sends the speed signal to the cluster to make the speedometer work.

Im pretty sure the lights come on for the three codes. They seem to disapear when traction control is switched off. But like i mentioned before, lights only reset when the ignition is turned off and on.

CrawlerChris2

Post by CrawlerChris2 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:33 pm

What three codes are popping up?

Heath478

Post by Heath478 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Does anybody know if the flywheel bolts from the fs the same as the 500. Should they be reused if so?

mr220v

Post by mr220v » Wed May 11, 2016 6:06 pm

They are not the same.

Gale K

How I Fixed the Traction Control and ABS Lights Issue

Post by Gale K » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:13 pm

I did the swap and had the Traction Control and ABS lights on as everyone else did. I didn’t want to snip the lights off of the instrument panel. And, I wanted full functionality.

I read over R-Clar’s comments (in a post about the same issue over on the ford forums dot com site) about having the right VIN flashed everywhere. He suspected the following all had to be the same: PCM, TCU, and ABS. I’m not 100% sure of the equipment and software involved to be able to do the flashing (Ford IDS (integrated diagnostic system)), but from past queries on how to do it, it is cost prohibitive unless you can justify it in some way.

For my swap, I bought a donor Five Hundred from an insurance auto auction that had been totaled. So, I had all of the guts in one spot. Since the Five Hundred had 65k miles less than my Freestyle, I wanted the engine and all. I dropped the drivetrain cradle as a whole, changed out the shocks/struts (they are different between the two cars), and installed into the Freestyle. And I changed out the shift cable and shift console. And then ran into the lights issue.

I then took the brains off of the ABS module (you can do this without opening up the brake lines) and swapped that into the Freestyle. Swapped the PCM over, then swapped the ignition switch (because of the PATS module). Tested it out, and it worked with NO LIGHTS!

Just a couple of additional notes. Changing out just the ABS module won’t do it…I tried that first before changing the PCM. I did not need to modify the wiring harness for the transmission because I had the harness from the Five Hundred attached to the engine cradle. I swapped the key lock cylinder in the door between the two so I only need one key. And, on a totally different subject, our keypad keyless entry on the Freestyle was not working hardly at all. It took very hard presses, and that was only working occasionally. I lifted the keypad from the Five Hundred and installed it on the Freestyle. I didn’t know if the code would stay the same, but I suspected that it was stored in some remote opening control module and NOT associated with the specific keypad. Sure enough, the Five Hundred keypad works to open the door with the original Freestyle keypad code.

Also, I used rockauto dot com as a great information source to see what parts were shared between the two cars. You can do a query for a specific part for each car and see quickly if they are the same part number or not. That is how I verified the shocks/struts were different.

So, here is my unofficial “parts required list” that is a compilation of previous posters and my own experience. This would assume you do not want to do the VIN flashing required to shut off the traction control and ABS lights. Please reply with anything that I have missed or got wrong, and I will edit the post:

Aisin 6 speed transmission with TCU
Transmission wiring plug
All transmission mounts (2 underneath and 1 under the hood)
Flywheel
Shift cable
Center shift console
CV Shafts
PCM from the same car
ABS control module from the same car
Ignition switch w/PATS module and key from the same car
If desired, door lock cylinder from the same car so you have the same key for door and ignition

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:51 am

Gale that is a good write-up and so glad to hear you had success. One question - where is the PATS module located? Your post seems to say it is integrated with the ignition switch, but I always thought it was on the instrument cluster?
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

Gale K

Post by Gale K » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:09 pm

jas88 wrote:Gale that is a good write-up and so glad to hear you had success. One question - where is the PATS module located? Your post seems to say it is integrated with the ignition switch, but I always thought it was on the instrument cluster?
Thanks Jas! I appreciate it. :) The PATS transceiver is attached to the ignition switch assembly. The black ring around the keyhole is just in front of the transceiver assembly. When you take the column cover off, and look at the ignition switch, you can see a black plastic ring. On the ring, there is a little module that has a wiring plug connected to it that probably goes to the PCM. I don't know for 100% sure, but I believe the way it works is the chip in your key and the transceiver sync up. Once the correct key is in, the transceiver talks probably to the PCM to let it all happen.

DanfromSterling

Post by DanfromSterling » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Anyone in Michigan that has done this that would be interested in doing swap for me? I have freestyle with bad transmission. On north side of metro Detroit near clarkston. If so let me know how much to do the swap?

debsford

Post by debsford » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:57 am

Purchased an 05 freestyle for my wife and did the 500 tranny swap. Non CVT. I replaced the wiring, PCM, tranny, everything that's been suggested. It's been about a week. It's on the road. It ran fine. No lights. Now, the traction control light, the check engine light and the transmission light are now coming on intermitently. I took it to a Ford dealership, (have a mechanic friend who works there). He put it on the computer it's bringing up a PO721 OSS sensor code. Anyone dealt with this issue? Tranny appears to be acting a little erratic, erraticly shifting. Any help appreciated.

Rogerswap

Post by Rogerswap » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:29 pm

Need help. I just completed the swap from a wrecked 500. To my freestyle. Changed everything that that's it's recommended to do. But I have a big problem. My freestyle just sits I have no shifts at all.
Any info would help! I changed: both cv axels, tranny with torque converter and flywheel, soldiered the wired (as instructed by other post), transmission lines and cooler.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:50 am

First thing I would do is make sure your linkage is hooked up and you can see it move the lever under the hood when someone inside the car shifts it into gear.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:08 am

So I am doing this swap in my shop right now with a test mule as a practice for when I have to do this to my DD. I dropped the subframe on the donor 500 to get the engine and trans. On the FS, I wanted to see about pulling the CVT out the top. It will come out that way alright:

Be aware that to get it out the top, you will have to remove the following, on top of stuff you are already removing if going out the bottom:

Throttle Body
Water pump
Water pump mount/cam oil seal retainer
Battery box and mount
Air box and mount
Brake master cylinder - leave the lines hooked up, just move it up out of the way

It's about the same hassle either way, I like taking it out the top, tho, as I do not have an engine cradle to hold up the motor doing it the factory way, so I would have to drop the entire subframe/engine/trans assy as I did on the 500.

The 6-speed is a bit smaller so I am thinking it won't be so tight going back in as the CVT was coming out. Here is a compare pic, 6-speed on the left:

More to come as I put this back together.
Last edited by jas88 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

jpz

Post by jpz » Fri May 05, 2017 3:22 pm

Unless it's my work computer, I cannot see your images.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:08 am

I think it must be your computer? I can see them on my work and my home computer.

I dropped in the 6-speed this morning (from the top, using an engine hoist) and it does go in much easier than the CVT came out, owing to it's smaller size.

Pro Tip: Set your flywheel and your TC so that you can see the TC stud and the flywheel hole thru the starter hole. This makes it really easy to see how you are lining up and to move the TC to mate with the flywheel, all from the top. Once you put in the bolts that secure the trans to the engine, you can then jiggle the TC thru the starter hole as you tighten the trans bolts to make sure it is loose and not pinned against the front pump (which would mean your TC is not all the way in the trans).

Here is the 6-speed in it's new home in the FS: