If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

Swap 500 6 sp into Freestyle possible.

latehiker

Re: Swap 500 6 sp into Freestyle possible.

Post by latehiker » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:58 am

Oops! Just saw your response on the key question. (I was working off some old notes and didn't see the January postings on the forum before shooting off my post). If you can answer the PCM/ECU question that would be helpful though.

Thanks!

jas88

Post by jas88 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 am

•Some posters talk of an ECU and others talk of a PCM. Are these two names for the same thing? If they are different, I assume I will need both off of the donor car.
It's the same thing.
•Did you have to do anything with keys from the donor car to work with your PATS modules? I saw a posting where you zip-tied a key from the donor vehicle to the PATS antenna to be able to start the car. Is this issue taken care of as long as you have all matching modules?
The key must match the ECU because PATS is integrated into the ECU. So, if you are using the ECU from the donor car that you got the trans from, then you must use the key from that donor car. The zip-tie thing is a short cut so that you do not have to swap the ignition lock cylinder and re-key your doors BUT you must employ a plain, non-PATS key in the ignition going forward so you do not confuse the PATS module by presenting it 2 different PATS keys that the antenna is picking up.
2006 SE Silver w/Slate cloth

latehiker

Post by latehiker » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:21 am

Great! My daughter's first car. Good deal at $2500 but not when we were looking at a $4400 rebuilt tranny from Ford. Your work and that of the other posters is paving the way for a MUCH more economical solution.

Thanks a million.

zwknhmr

Post by zwknhmr » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:36 pm

I am looking for pointers on how to drop the 6 speed in from the top. Since the flex plate for the 6 speed is about 1 inch father out from the engine block there is not room to drop the trans in between the flex plate and the drivers side frame rail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:54 am

I am looking for pointers on how to drop the 6 speed in from the top. Since the flex plate for the 6 speed is about 1 inch father out from the engine block there is not room to drop the trans in between the flex plate and the drivers side frame rail. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've done 2 of these swaps and both times, I pulled the CVT out the top and also dropped the 6-speed in from the top. The 6-speed is smaller than the CVT but there are some things you need to remove from the engine and such to make it fit. Look on page 7 of this thread, after I did my first one I listed what all needed to come out.

mr220v

Post by mr220v » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:33 pm

Ive done it both ways. Top and bottom. Go easy on yourself and do it from the bottom.

While you're at it, get the motor attached to the transmission. This gets you all kinds of lower mileage components and possibly all the swap parts as well. Used duratec 3ls are very cheap used engines (because they almost always outlast the transmission they are attached to).

zwknhmr

Post by zwknhmr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:39 pm

Thank you jas88 and mr220v for the info. I got the transmission in from the top, but it was a pain to squeeze it in. I had to use a crow bar to pry it in, but now there is no room to put the nuts on the t/c through the starter hole. I'm afraid I may have bent the flywheel. As for dropping it out the bottom, I looked at doing that now that I already have so many hoses and wires from around the transmission area removed. Doesn't look like that much more to do to drop the subframe. I am just working in my driveway with a cherry picker and a floor jack so I'm not sure how to raise the car or lower the subframe enough to remove from underneath the car. And I have to work around all these crazy rainstorms here on So. Cal. It hardly ever rains here.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:43 am

You do not put the TC bolts on thru the starter hole, you put them on underneath the car. The reason not to drop it out the bottom is as you state - it is very hard to get the car up high enough without a lift. I have one and I still prefer the out the top method.

zwknhmr

Post by zwknhmr » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:55 am

I got the trans in the top and I am now tying up lose ends with the installation. I have run across issues with the master cylinder and ABS unit that nobody has discussed on this topic. The braided hoses that run from the master cylinder to the 500 ABS unit are different sizes. The fittings on the Freestyle are 10 mm and the fitting on the 500 ABS are 14 mm. I am thinking the larger hoses are for a car with traction control. If I put a 500 master cylinder with traction control in my Freestyle that doesn't have traction control, will my brakes work? Or do I need a PCM, ABS, and TCM from a 500 without traction control? So far I haven't seen any 500's at the pick-a-part that doesn't have traction control.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:28 am

You do not change the entire ABS unit, you just swap the electronics module. You do not open the brake hydraulic system at all.

All 500s and Freestyles have traction control.

zwknhmr

Post by zwknhmr » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:51 pm

jas88 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:28 am
You do not change the entire ABS unit, you just swap the electronics module. You do not open the brake hydraulic system at all.

All 500s and Freestyles have traction control.
I thought this was a great idea until I removed the control modules. The ABS module on the left is from the Freestyle and the one on the right is from the 500. Both are 2006 models. Obviously they are not compatible. My Freestle does not have Traction Control, or at least it doesn't have a Traction Control off button on the lower console next to the emergency flasher button. This is getting frustrating.
021.JPG
021.JPG (2.83 MiB) Viewed 376 times

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:57 pm

OK so I just went and looked at the 2006 FS brochure and traction control is optional on all FWD models, standard on AWD. I've never seen an FS without TC. Agree with your assessment - all I can tell you is that I have done 2 of these swaps and, in both cases, the ABS modules matched up. Mine has the one on the right. I guess I just got lucky.

jas88

Post by jas88 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Just checked the 2006 Five Hundred brochure and same goes there - optional on FWD. So, if you can, you will need to find a 500 without TC and then get the ECU, the ABS module, and the trans module off of it and put it on your car. Either that, or you need someone who can flash your trans module with your FS's VIN - you would then use your FS ECU and ABS module. However, if you've been all thru this thread, so far, I don't think anyone has been able accomplish that.

lilviperite

Post by lilviperite » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:29 am

HI,
I did a 6 speed swap, now I have no reverse. Yaay, might be the valve body, might be something else. Going to take the VB off and check it before yanking the transmission back out. I got the ECU and TCM flashed from e-bay with new keys and my VIN, but now my wrench and ABS lights are on scanned it ad theres no comms between abs and TCM due to vin. I got the car for damned near nothing, but the wife's getting sick of the time I'm spending on it, she doesn't see the value. Anyone have any luck changing the VIN in the ABS module? I have a scantool that i can replace the ABS module with, if the old one communicates. Thoughts?

06WayneGretzky

Post by 06WayneGretzky » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:18 pm

Anyone ever try the Aisin AWF-21 6speed awd trans from a Fusion? I have access to one of these right now and my 2006 AWD freestyle is dying for the second time since I have owed it. I love the car just hate the CVT. :(