If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

FORD EXTENDS WARRANTY ON THROTTLE BODY

mn_montego

Re: FORD EXTENDS WARRANTY ON THROTTLE BODY

Post by mn_montego » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 pm

With this Throttle body issue, has anyone had their vehicle's engine go into "engine safe mode"? I was accelerating today and the engine, for the first time ever, entered safe engine mode. Could this be related to the throttle body? Or something else? EGR valve? Oxygen sensor?

(btw, the TB was cleaned a few weeks ago.......) If this is TB related, I am putting in a new one....

meyersd

Post by meyersd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:36 am

I would go with a new one. Although my old one was dirty, cleaning it would have only been a temp fix. The serivce manager told me that the throttle body threw and electrical fault, which probably meant it would have failed again, even with cleaning. If you are still withing the 10 year year 150 K warranty, get them to replace it. I got mine done in June of 2011, and haven't had a problem since.
2005 Ford Freestyle AWD Limited (Dark Blue Pearl Metallic/Pebble Leather Interior)
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (Grey Clearcoat/Grey Cloth Interior)

meyersd

Post by meyersd » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:40 am

mn_montego wrote:The dealership that did the work on my vehicle has indicated to me that if the problem is still present, that I need to replace the throttle body; and that work is "not" covered by Ford under the warranty.

I am contemplating going directly to Ford, but concerned that this make take some time with no good outcome. But, I have been wrong before....

This doesn't sound right. If the dealer is doing what they are suppsed to, they should be checking the TB to determine if it is a michanical or electrical issue. if it's mechanical, and cleaning it fixes it, then OK. But if it's electrical, and the TB keeps throwing faults, then it needs to be replaced. The extended warranty covers repair or replacement of the TB up to 150K or 10 years. So if your dealer is telling you they aren't going to honor the warranty if the TB is dead, then find one who will.

All dealers are not the same, espcially when it comes to warranty repairs. I recently learned this lesson.
2005 Ford Freestyle AWD Limited (Dark Blue Pearl Metallic/Pebble Leather Interior)
2005 Nissan Altima 2.5 S (Grey Clearcoat/Grey Cloth Interior)

mn_montego

Post by mn_montego » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:16 am

Well, there must have been an electrical issue with the Throttle body. I purchased a new Throttle Body on the 13th, installed it that evening, and have had uneventful driving since then. I am "amazed" at how different the vehicle drives now; truly night and day.

Now I am going to Ford and/or the dealership to get refunded the TB part cost, which was close to $400.00

bessie

Post by bessie » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:44 am

My 09 T-REX is doing this. Surges slightly at low speed, coming to a stop.
Does the warranty apply to Taurus X as well as the Freestyle.

I took it to a Ford dealer, who wanted to charge me $100 to diagnose the problem.

I never got letter, but am second owner.

iikon

Post by iikon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:25 pm

Well I took my FS in today and had the update done to it and the TB cleaned. I wasn't having the issue but wanted to get the most up-to-date software on the PCM before the warranty period was up. I am at 123k, so figured why not. Dealership didnt give me any hassle, glad I got it done though.

barvic

Post by barvic » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:34 am

Just a head's-up here. Make sure you tell the service rep that you were experiencing the surge symptom. These guys can be goofs here and he blatantly told me that if I had not mentioned that it would not be covered under the "warranty extension". I do not know where they get off being like this. They never got it done two weeks ago but scheduled for tomorrow again.

I sure hope to get rid of a nagging power oscillation I get under load sometimes. Going up hills etc the car's power will waver in its application... almost like the rpm bouncing about 200RPM per second. I have complained about this since new to no avail so gave up... just live with it. I also suspect a control module not speaking from the tranny to the engine too... that's too scary though!

Happy New year!
2006 Limited AWD Silver
2008 New Beetle Convertible

thehumble1

Post by thehumble1 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:39 am

Called Ford customer service yesterday and was told that the warranty only covers cleaning. It seems that a few people here have been able to get Ford to replace it under the warranty too but I'm not seeing that in the warranty letter. The dealer said they would clean it but wouldn't replace it under warranty even if it needed it.

Do I just need to keep complaining or possibly just pay first and then get them to reimburse? I'll keep reading because someone had probably answered this already.

Paul

Post by Paul » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:55 pm

Responding to "Bessie's" enquiry re surging of a 09 TX. Ours is doing somewhat the same thing, mostly noticeable at very low speed when light throttle is applied, the car jerks somewhat. I wouldn't describe it as dangerous at this point, but somewhat unsettling. As far as I'm aware it's not included in the Freestyle warranty extension, unless someone knows different? -Paul

Hilbillybone

Post by Hilbillybone » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:17 pm

I got my freestyle off of a privately owned dealers lot, not a ford dealer. I have 177xxx miles on my 05 f.f. awd limited. Should I call ford and see if I can have my tb replaced under this warranty? Cuz i think my t.b. is about shot. Well the sensor anyways. Onlybplace you can get it locally is chancing the u pull and pay (25$ for the tb) or the cheapest new part I've found is at ford (686 dollars) only bother option is rock auto I think and even then its almost 300. I don't have that kind of money and it's our only vehicle eight now. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Hilbillybone

Post by Hilbillybone » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:57 am

mn_montego wrote:Well, there must have been an electrical issue with the Throttle body. I purchased a new Throttle Body on the 13th, installed it that evening, and have had uneventful driving since then. I am "amazed" at how different the vehicle drives now; truly night and day.

Now I am going to Ford and/or the dealership to get refunded the TB part cost, which was close to $400.00

Heh 400 that's cheap ford quoted me a new tb for my 05 f.s. limited at $686.00. Its one dollar cheaper than autozone lol. Wish mine was 400.

Rumble

Post by Rumble » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:33 am

I just got throttle body cleaned last week, and it appears to have fixed the problem (which Ford calls "idle flair"). The first dealership insisted on a diagnosis fee, and then said there was no problem! I went to a second dealership and they didn't put me through that BS, just took my keys and brought them back.

What a relief! Eventually, my unconscious habit of holding down the brake pedal in anticipation of the car lunging will hopefully wear off... .
RUMBLE (Nelson)
2007 Ford Freestyle SEL
2004 Ford Escape XLT
1968 Mustang GT

torino

Post by torino » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:34 am

The electronic throttle body system on my 06 with 211000 kilometers shut down under acceleration yesterday. The engine would start and idle but cuts out and a wrench symbol and engine light came on. I had to call for a tow . My mechanic called me to say they did a service on it and it seems to be running ok but he cannot guarantee it won't happen again . He quoted a new TB at 850$ and only the Ford dealer can supply it . There are several FS at wrecking yards in my area . Is it worth the time to try a used system I am wondering. I assume if they have more mileage on them than my car it is not worth it.
1956 Meteor Niagara Hardtop
1969 Torino GT convertible
1994 F150 Short box
2006 Freestyle SEL

Fat Steve

Post by Fat Steve » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Ya I'd hit a junkyard first, $850 is insane. Rockauto is cheaper too, but shouldn't you be under warranty still, 10yr/150k miles?
Steve
05 Freestyle
03 Mustang GT

torino

Post by torino » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:40 pm

My car converted to miles is 131000. Did the warranty extend to Canada and would I have to have the original paperwork ? I bought it used. I will be hitting my local dealer tomorrow to find out. Thanks for the tip.
1956 Meteor Niagara Hardtop
1969 Torino GT convertible
1994 F150 Short box
2006 Freestyle SEL