If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

CVT Fluid Level and Code P0701

josebourdier

Re: CVT Fluid Level and Code P0701

Post by josebourdier » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Everyone,

Here is the update, sorry i was out of country.

I hope they are all well and thanks for the help ...

The car is running better after down the transmission oil level, only has happened about 3 times in the last two months.

Now, I have another problem i don't know it is temperature related but it's happen every morning and never passed before, when I turn on the car the transmission light come on after 10 seconds and get the same code P0701, this is only happen when the car is cool (in the morning), I leave the car to put hot (more or less 10 minutes) and then turn off the car and turn on the car and light go away.

While the light is on if I try to put the transmission into reverse I hear sounds and check engine light comes on for this reason i need turn off the car and then turn on the car before move the car.
Regards,
Jose Bourdier
FordFive Hundred 06 SE / South New Jersey

oneohm

Post by oneohm » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:40 pm

I'm having the exact same problem. We have had some dramatic temp shifts: 47 during the day and drops tozero overnight with frost on the windows. When the car is started it runs fine till it is put into drive. The wrench light will either come on immediately PR after taking off. I took it to a transmission shop and they pulled p0701 along with a code for solenoid A open circuit, loss of pressure, torfue converter lockup and speed sensor. I don't have all of the code numbers. The transmission shop stated it was electrical in nature and recommended I take it to the dealer. Dealer looked at it for a recall notice (unrelated) and updated the Pcm firmware. Code returned as P0701 again so they charges diagnostics. They stated they had no clue what the issue was. So they called Ford engineering. The best engineering could state was to change the transfer fluid. Dealer wanted $10 per quart for fluid and the total would be 450 just for the change. I did it myself in the driveway. Fluid was dark and there was very little metal debris. After the fluid change the car ran better but slammed down into first at a red light once. Over night the temp dropped below zero. Wrench light returned while warming up. I reset the computer with a scan tool restarted and it drove fine. I was quoted 1500 for a mechatronix unit. Just Answer has a related post about this and it also has a reference to the same part. How is yours doing?

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:45 pm

josebourdier wrote:Hi Everyone,

Here is the update, sorry i was out of country.

I hope they are all well and thanks for the help ...

The car is running better after down the transmission oil level, only has happened about 3 times in the last two months.

Now, I have another problem i don't know it is temperature related but it's happen every morning and never passed before, when I turn on the car the transmission light come on after 10 seconds and get the same code P0701, this is only happen when the car is cool (in the morning), I leave the car to put hot (more or less 10 minutes) and then turn off the car and turn on the car and light go away.

While the light is on if I try to put the transmission into reverse I hear sounds and check engine light comes on for this reason i need turn off the car and then turn on the car before move the car.
Hi,

I want to add, that this only happens when the temp is below of 35f, because when the temp is over 40f in the morning, the car start up without any problem.

And I want add to, that for example, when I start the car and I get the light, if i turn off and turn on before passed the 20 minutes, I get the light again, but if I wait for 20 minutes before turn off and turn on, the light not come on.
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:50 pm

oneohm wrote:I'm having the exact same problem. We have had some dramatic temp shifts: 47 during the day and drops tozero overnight with frost on the windows. When the car is started it runs fine till it is put into drive. The wrench light will either come on immediately PR after taking off. I took it to a transmission shop and they pulled p0701 along with a code for solenoid A open circuit, loss of pressure, torfue converter lockup and speed sensor. I don't have all of the code numbers. The transmission shop stated it was electrical in nature and recommended I take it to the dealer. Dealer looked at it for a recall notice (unrelated) and updated the Pcm firmware. Code returned as P0701 again so they charges diagnostics. They stated they had no clue what the issue was. So they called Ford engineering. The best engineering could state was to change the transfer fluid. Dealer wanted $10 per quart for fluid and the total would be 450 just for the change. I did it myself in the driveway. Fluid was dark and there was very little metal debris. After the fluid change the car ran better but slammed down into first at a red light once. Over night the temp dropped below zero. Wrench light returned while warming up. I reset the computer with a scan tool restarted and it drove fine. I was quoted 1500 for a mechatronix unit. Just Answer has a related post about this and it also has a reference to the same part. How is yours doing?
Nothing yet, only wait for more or less 20 minutes to the car get hot (think so).
Im thinking on change the TB, I hear a lot of complaint about that, maybe the mine has something related..
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 am

Just a thought. When the transmission is really cold, the bypass for the trans filter should be opening on startup. When the fluid is at it's coldest, the pressure differential between the fluid before and after the filter will be at its highest, and the filter should go into bypass. The fact that it only happens during cold startup at low temps, along with the codes, makes me wonder if the bypass isn't working correctly?

Note: this is speculation on my part, so if this suggestion doesn't work, don't blame me. That said, given the cost of everything I'd replace the HP filter and feed tube along with the filter bypass. The filter bypass can be found here: http://www.wittrans.com/showfilter.aspx ... Section=88 A dealer may be able to order it as well. It's a pretty inexpensive part. Also, I'd be careful to make sure the filter and the bypass feeding tube are well-seated. Some have mentioned this problem comes up after servicing, and I'm wondering if something isn't seated correctly.

The filter bypass is in the filter housing. You just need a pair of snap-ring pliers to service it. I actually took mine apart to clean it the first time I serviced the transmission, so it's very easy to change it out.

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Jack Watts wrote:Just a thought. When the transmission is really cold, the bypass for the trans filter should be opening on startup. When the fluid is at it's coldest, the pressure differential between the fluid before and after the filter will be at its highest, and the filter should go into bypass. The fact that it only happens during cold startup at low temps, along with the codes, makes me wonder if the bypass isn't working correctly?

Note: this is speculation on my part, so if this suggestion doesn't work, don't blame me. That said, given the cost of everything I'd replace the HP filter and feed tube along with the filter bypass. The filter bypass can be found here: http://www.wittrans.com/showfilter.aspx ... Section=88 A dealer may be able to order it as well. It's a pretty inexpensive part. Also, I'd be careful to make sure the filter and the bypass feeding tube are well-seated. Some have mentioned this problem comes up after servicing, and I'm wondering if something isn't seated correctly.

The filter bypass is in the filter housing. You just need a pair of snap-ring pliers to service it. I actually took mine apart to clean it the first time I serviced the transmission, so it's very easy to change it out.
Thanks Jack, I'll try.... I'll let you know..
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

bret1197

Post by bret1197 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:38 pm

Having this exact problem now with my 07 freestyle.Wrench light comes on on a cold morning followed by the check engine light.Let it warm up for quite awhile and car will go only after restart and wrench light out.Looked into getting the bypass part but the parts place listed no longer had any but said they would try and find a used one.Called Ford and it takes a week and a half to get it and is sold with the housing for about $300 while the part from the other place was only $26.I dont want to gamble on this.DID anyone find out the real problem cuz the trans acts fine when finally on the road and the fluid is clean.Please help...very frustrating at 5am to wonder if i can make it to work.

oneohm

Post by oneohm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:43 am

I had to take mine in for the recent throttle body recall. I had it at the dealer who was stumped. They called engineering who recommended a fluid change and both filters replaced. I replaced both and performed a fluid change per their suggestion. This solved nothing. The wrench light comes on when idleing for a few seconds. If it is placed in reverse or drive, the accelerator pedal can be floored with no change in RPM. What is interesting is you can put the car into recerse, the transmission engages rough then you can pull out into the street but, then you cannot accelerate in drive. So, I will be jumpin on to the motorcraft repair data this week to see what is truely going on and then talk to Ford about the issue. I personally think the vehicle should be recalled for the accelerator issue I just mentioned. The lack of response when pressing the accelerator seems dangerous.

oneohm

Post by oneohm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 am

This is from the Ford service data:

SSM 19259 - 2005-2006 FREESTYLE/FIVE HUNDRED/MONTEGO - REVISED DIAGNOSTICS FOR CVT TRANMISSION
SOME 2005-2006 FREESTYLE/FIVE HUNDRED/MONTEGO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH THE CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE TRANSMISSION (CVT) MAY EXHIBIT WRENCH LIGHT ON WITH DTCS AND/OR OTHER OPERATIONAL CONCERNS. REFER TO ONLINE WORKSHOP MANUAL SECTION 307-01A FOR REVISED DIAGNOSTICS IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS: DIAGNOSIS BY SYMPTOM, DTC CHARTS AND PIN POINT TESTS. AS OF 6/16/06, MANY CHANGES WERE MADE TO ASSIST IN FIX IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME CAPABILITY.

oneohm

Post by oneohm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:28 am

P0701 Transmission control system
Transmission control system TCM has detected other transaxle DTCs setting this DTC enables limp home mode.
• Engagement concerns. Harsh/erratic.
• No torque converter lock-up.
• Lack/loss of power/acceleration.
• Different ratio behavior (increased engine rpm).
• Will turn on MIL and driver warning lamp.
FIX other transaxle DTCs first. CLEAR DTCs. If DTCs return, REFER to Diagnosis By Symptom in this section.

P0868 Transmission fluid pressure
Transmission fluid pressure low
DTC will be set if an insufficient fluid supply is detected at the pressure sensor(s). This could be caused by defective pressure sensor(s) or a hydraulic system leakage. It is also possible to have no pressure due to very cold fluid -20°C (-4°F).
• No torque converter lock-up.
• Delayed engagements are possible (no pressure because of very cold fluid).
• Lack of power and driveability concerns.
If this DTC resets without driving the vehicle and there are no other DTCs, GO to
Pinpoint Test A. If vehicle has to be driven
to duplicate the DTC and other DTCs are present, DIAGNOSE and FIX DTC P0942
first.

P0961 PCA PCA out of range
DTC will be set if main pressure is lower or higher than expected.
This indicates a defective pressure sensor or a leakage of the hydraulic system.
• Marginal loss of power/acceleration.
• Will turn on driver warning lamp.
With no other DTCs present, GO to Pinpoint Test A. If other DTCs are present, DIAGNOSE and FIX the other DTCs first, in the following order: P0942, P0868. If
this DTC code is set in the DEM module,REFER to Section 205-00.

P0942 Hydraulic pressure unit
Stuck limp home mode value
Fault detected in hydraulic valve body.
• Harsh or erratic shift engagements.
• No torque converter clutch apply.
• No REVERSE.
• No DRIVE.
• Will turn on MIL and driver warning lamp.
NOTE: The TCM is integrated into the mechatronic assembly. If installing a new
transaxle or a mechatronic assembly, the TCM will need to be CHECKED and RECALIBRATED (reflashed) to the latest level calibration available.INSPECT the transmission fluid for debris. If the transmission fluid is clean, INSTALL a new
mechatronic assembly. REFER to Mechatronic Assembly in this section. If debris is
found in the transmission fluid, disassembly of the transaxle is required for diagnosis of internal transaxle failure. REFER to Transaxle and Diagnosis By Symptom in this section.

So.... what other codes do you have? Let me know and we can help nail these down. I can send a PDF of the codes and PIDs if you PM me with your email. Other concerned citizens as well.

Rtr1828

Post by Rtr1828 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:39 pm

I am having the same problem with my ford five hundred. I can not figure out where to check the transmission fluid out. Can you help me with this?

m3jota

Post by m3jota » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Has anyone found a solution? I have an 05 Five Hundred. When I turn it on, if I gas it in park the RPMs will go up fine. But, if I shift it to Reverse, or Drive and gas it the RPM will not go up. If I then put it back in Park and gas it, the RPMs go up extremely slow. Guessing this is in limp mode at this point. If I turn the car off and back on, I can again gas it fine on Park until I shift out of Park. Wrench, Check Engine light, ABS, and Traction Control lights are on. I scanned it and it comes up with P0701 Transmission Control System Range / Performance. Any ideas on these?

thehumble1

Post by thehumble1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:53 am

with this issue, others have changed the mechatronics unit and had good results. it may be one of the 5 ZF solenoids that tend to fail or it could be another problem in the unit. Others are having good success just changing the unit, but that doesn't guarantee a fix. I'm just not convinced that the entire trans is having problems when the symptom is so specific (cold weather cold start).

A.johnson

Post by A.johnson » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello
I'm wondering if you can help me with 2 codes?
#1 P0701
#2 P0942
Its AWD 05 FREESTYLE 3.0
Haven't driven it in 8 months until today.
So far city wise its driving ok.
But when I go to shift gears the engine jumps very hard from park to reverse & also from reverse to drive.