If you shop at Amazon.com (for anything), use this link to support MyFordFreestyle.com!

CVT Fluid Level and Code P0701

josebourdier

CVT Fluid Level and Code P0701

Post by josebourdier » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi guys,

I'm having problem with my CVT on my FiveHundred 06 SE.... I bought this car 2 months ago.

I'm sure that this topic has been discussed before "P0701 Code and no throttle response"

At the first time that problem happend i went to Autozone to get a free scan and i got this codes P2765, P0701, P0715, U0001, U2023 I erased all codes and always P0701 come back when that problem happen.

I think that the transmission was rebuilt because the seller told me something about that, car have 216000 miles on it..

This problem only pass when i tray to to pass to someone on street or highway, without doing that, the car handles very well 60, ​​70, 80 miles per hour.

The problem was frequently, I clean all speed sensor and the problem improved, then I clean air sensor and throte and the problem improved again.

I was checking the fluid level on transmission Hot and Cool and always i get the same level, here a picture with level.

I think is something wrong with this level.

Regards,
Jose Bourdier
South New Jersey
Regards,
Jose Bourdier
FordFive Hundred 06 SE / South New Jersey

Jack Watts

Re: CVT Fluid Level and Code P0701

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:07 pm

um....yikes! Are you checking the fluid on level ground, running and in neutral? If so, you have WAY too much fluid in there--at least a quart, possibly two. The transmission is definitely fluid level-sensitive, so I'd start by draining some fluid. Honestly, I don't even think I drive it without draining about a quart, even if you don't have any on-hand. Then, I'd pick up a quart at the dealer to so you can set the level more easily. If you drain the fluid into a clean pan, I'd still run it through a coffee filter or something if you want to re-use it.

It's probably driving worse as the fluid heats up, as it expands quite a bit. The correct level is between the top hole and 12mm MAX above the top hole at full operating temps (about 20-25 minutes of operation), or within the cross hatches (it appears you have cross hatches on yours, but it's hard to see in the picture). Otherwise, at body temperature (roughly 3-5 minutes of operation from a cold start if the ambient temps are 70 degrees, add 1 minute for every 20 degrees below that, keeping in mind this is a rough approximation), the level should be about 1/3 of the the way up from the bottom hole. Anywhere between the two holes is fine, but that's ideal.

I've tested in park and neutral and it reads the same. I've never tested it without the engine running, so I have no idea if that's the issue. If you're checking it correctly and that's your reading, it's WAY off.

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:25 pm

Jack Watts wrote:um....yikes! Are you checking the fluid on level ground, running and in neutral? If so, you have WAY too much fluid in there--at least a quart, possibly two. The transmission is definitely fluid level-sensitive, so I'd start by draining some fluid. Honestly, I don't even think I drive it without draining about a quart, even if you don't have any on-hand. Then, I'd pick up a quart at the dealer to so you can set the level more easily. If you drain the fluid into a clean pan, I'd still run it through a coffee filter or something if you want to re-use it.

It's probably driving worse as the fluid heats up, as it expands quite a bit. The correct level is between the top hole and 12mm MAX above the top hole at full operating temps (about 20-25 minutes of operation), or within the cross hatches (it appears you have cross hatches on yours, but it's hard to see in the picture). Otherwise, at body temperature (roughly 3-5 minutes of operation from a cold start if the ambient temps are 70 degrees, add 1 minute for every 20 degrees below that, keeping in mind this is a rough approximation), the level should be about 1/3 of the the way up from the bottom hole. Anywhere between the two holes is fine, but that's ideal.

I've tested in park and neutral and it reads the same. I've never tested it without the engine running, so I have no idea if that's the issue. If you're checking it correctly and that's your reading, it's WAY off.
Thanks Jack,

Maybe i'm not checking correctly...

I made two check
First, running the car about 20-25 minutes but i don't remember if at this moment was on neutral or parking.
Second, in the morning, before start up....

I got same level..

I will do both test again, hope get better level...

Regards,
Jose Bourdier
South New Jersey
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:41 pm

josebourdier wrote: I made two check
First, running the car about 20-25 minutes but i don't remember if at this moment was on neutral or parking.
Second, in the morning, before start up....

I got same level..

I will do both test again, hope get better level...

Regards,
Jose Bourdier
South New Jersey
Jose, make sure the car is running when you do the check--that may have something to do with it. I've always had very different reading when hot and cold. It could be that it's so far over the level that you can't tell the difference?

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:08 pm

Jack Watts wrote:Jose, make sure the car is running when you do the check--that may have something to do with it. I've always had very different reading when hot and cold. It could be that it's so far over the level that you can't tell the difference?
Thanks again.

Here pictures from new test with car running after 25-55 minutes at 80 grades in fahrenheit

This is the result with car running after 30 minutes, I did it several times with the same result.

Here is another result after 45-55 minutes.

I'm thinking about draining some fluid like a quart and test..

Opinions please...

Thanks

Regards,
Jose Bourdier
South New Jersey
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:17 pm

WHAT??? :shock:

LORD have mercy, the First Picture in today's (Wednesday's) post shows the Fluid is 38mm ABOVE the Top Hole, SHOCKING.....the fluid should not exceed 12mm above the Top Hole at FULL OPERATING TEMPS (HOT), i.e brings the fluid to no more than the top of the Cross Hatch on your Dipstick!

IF my eyes are seeing your pictures right, what you have in there is THREE TIMES above the Top Hole and will burn the CVT !

the picture from Tuesday's post also shows the fluid is too much.
Last edited by Africa_FS_07 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for the clear pics. The good news is that the fluid is nice and clear!

Your dipstick has the crosshatches on it, so when it's in the hot range it should be anywhere on the cross hatches, NOT ABOVE, AT ALL. I'd start by draining out 2 quarts (seriously). As long as it's above the top hole and into the cross hatches at full operating temps, you're good. After 20 minutes of operation, you're good to check it.

To be honest though, I wouldn't drive the car any longer with that much fluid in it. I'd set the level cold. If your ambient temps are 80's, I'd drain 2 quarts, let the engine run for 3-5 minutes from a cold start, then check. At that temp you should be well below the cross hatches, ideally above 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom hole. Anywhere between the two holes is fine, though.

brijack515

Post by brijack515 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Is it the correct fluid for the CVT? Looks too clear when it should be brown.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:54 pm

brijack515 wrote:Is it the correct fluid for the CVT? Looks too clear when it should be brown.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's the right fluid. If it weren't, his transmission would have already failed. It only takes a couple of drives for problems to kick in. Most other ATF's are red in color. Since I do a drain/fill every 30K, mine looks very similar, almost clear in color (and very difficult to read on the dipstick). It's definitely not brown.

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Update.....

1 Good and 2 Bad News...

Good News

The level is now more acceptable now, drain 1.70 quarter more or less.

Here is the new level with about 20 minutes on neutral after drain..... Note: The car was drive today more or less 3 hour before drain

Bad News
1-
The fluid is not clear as previously thought

2-
After road test, i get again the TC light on and Throttle Control/Transmission light and as we now, the code P0701...
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:00 pm

The fluid doesn't look bad. The discoloration is pretty typical (mine looks similar and I drain/fill every 30K). If it's clear on the dipstick, it's still fairly clear--and color isn't a great indicator of fluid condition anyway.

The fluid looks not to be at the top range of acceptable, so you're good there. First things first, if you haven't done so, disconnect the battery for a good 20 minutes (negative terminal), then reconnect. That should permanently clear all codes. Then, drive the car and see what happens. If you get any more lights, pull the codes with a scanner or enter engineering mode (search on the forum for instructions), and pull any/all DTC's. The fluid was pretty overfilled, but it should have gone into limp mode before any mechanical damage occurred. I could speculate all day, but start here and we'll try to troubleshoot it.

2 questions:

1) is this FWD or AWD

2) are there any driveability issues right now?

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:05 am

Jack Watts wrote:The fluid doesn't look bad. The discoloration is pretty typical (mine looks similar and I drain/fill every 30K). If it's clear on the dipstick, it's still fairly clear--and color isn't a great indicator of fluid condition anyway.

The fluid looks not to be at the top range of acceptable, so you're good there. First things first, if you haven't done so, disconnect the battery for a good 20 minutes (negative terminal), then reconnect. That should permanently clear all codes. Then, drive the car and see what happens. If you get any more lights, pull the codes with a scanner or enter engineering mode (search on the forum for instructions), and pull any/all DTC's. The fluid was pretty overfilled, but it should have gone into limp mode before any mechanical damage occurred. I could speculate all day, but start here and we'll try to troubleshoot it.

2 questions:

1) is this FWD or AWD

2) are there any driveability issues right now?
Thanks,

I'll drain another quarter today and at same time I will disconnect the negative from battery....

Answers
1) The car is FWD.
2) The car runs good here a few points:
- When I bought the car had rare sound in front (driver side) that result was of change both "Sway Bar Stabilizer Links" driver side was very bad condition, when done the sound was gone.
- Now I'm hearing a front sound again don't now from what is coming from.
- Start from a week ago when I'm on reverse and turn, I'm hearing a sound I believe it's coming from Axle Shaft Drive Side on front.
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:30 am

since you're at the top range of acceptable, I'd just leave it there unless you have some fluid on hand to top up.

The noise could be a strut mount or just the steering stops needing to be lubed. I'd start there. As far as the transmission though, there are no driveability issues?

josebourdier

Post by josebourdier » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:04 pm

Hi,

Drain a little more

After 15 miles this is the result at 75 degrees Fahrenheit.

No run tested after that.

About driveability issues, I understand that everything works fine, only that I can not accelerate without losing strength and get the P0701 and CT Light on for 5 seconds and Throttle Control / Transmission permanent light until I turn off and turn on the car and everything returns to normality

Sometimes the problem happens and I do not lose power in acceleration, I can continue normally.
Regards,
Jose Bourdier

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:07 am

hi, any the update? good news, etc ?
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen: