CVT Pan Filter FT162......Official Site Decision please

Africa_FS_07

CVT Pan Filter FT162......Official Site Decision please

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:52 am

hello good people,

first i'd like to thank you all for all the priceless information you've shared on this car.

there's still an unresolved business on here concerning FREESTYLE cars which the forum still does not have an "Official" line on....its the long suffering "CVT Pan Filter....FT-162":

UPDATE: NOW AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://amzn.to/2VEVxVl

the forum has powerfully scaled the hurdle of the "CVT H.P. Filter...FT-178" and the "CVT Fluid XT-7-QCFT Drain and Fill", with an "Official" Site Recommended DIY Procedure (with lots of pictures) to do these, thanks to those pioneers who blazed the trail - glencoff, dmckmc, jack watts.

jack watts takes it a step better recommending to change the fluid twice within days, i testify to that being very important.

there's even a PDF Copy for the Procedure thanks to WGRoper......and thanks to the webmaster always for the site.

many including myself have used this EASY procedure, and there's not been a mishap anywhere IF followed to the letter.

BUT there's no "agreed" procedure yet on that poor Pan Filter FT-162.......one member's CVT almost died somewhere as a result

Some Experts said to leave it till 100,000 miles since its still always very clean at 60,000 which ford said.......one Expert said to leave it until the Pan starts to "weep".

can you all kindly reach a decision on "when" and the "how to" in the next few days/weeks and have the site come out with the "official" Procedure please?

is it important too to change the Pan Gasket when changing the Pan Filter ?

although i have over 100,000 miles on the ODO, i haven't changed the FT162 in mine because the Pan is not yet "weeping", still very happy and dry eyed......i don't want to change it until the forum says so or until it starts to weep.

thank you all for all your comments.
Attachments
81nzkI70nXL._SL1500_.jpg
81nzkI70nXL._SL1500_.jpg (90.68 KiB) Viewed 65 times
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

piratepress

Re: CVT Pan Filter FT162......Official Site Decision please

Post by piratepress » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:53 am

Hello Africa, for what it's worth, my mechanic changed it when he installed the new CVT and thank God, it's been rock solid since then!
2006 Freestyle SE FWD [SOLD] 3-22-06 to 2-3-15
Ford Freestyle Helicopter Club Ex-Presidente

Wheelman

Post by Wheelman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm sure we all know the function of the pan gasket and that is to keep the oil from weeping or leaking. For the price of the gasket and peace of mind I would change the gasket, however, if you want to take the chance of it leaking and do the job twice, it is up to you. Pan gaskets are touchy to begin with and you can get a leak even with a new pan gasket however, your chances of not having a leak are far better with a new gasket than with an old one. The key to gasket installation is cleanliness, correct gasket goo if required and most importantly the tightening of bolts in directly opposite positions to each other and in small gradations as well as up to torque and not beyond. A new gasket gets compressed evenly while the old gasket is already compressed. It's your call.

brijack515

Post by brijack515 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 pm

WELL ALL, HERE IS MY OPINION ON THEPOOR CVT TRANSMISSION PAN GASKET.

WHY WOULD YOU HAVE ANY INCLINATION TO LEAVE A USED GASKET REGARDLESS OF MILEAGE OR AGE AFTER OPENING THE PAN. THE THOUGHT OF LEAVING IT UNTIL IT WEEPS IS A POOR EXCUSE.

DON'T FORGET THIS SPECIAL TRANSMISSION. WOULD YOU WANT TO DUMP THE FLUID IN A PAN AND THEN REUSE? CVT FLUID IS EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE COMPARED TO REGULAR ATF.

WHEN I DID MY FLUID CHANGE, I SPENT TIME CLEANING THE OLD GASKET OFF AND USING A NEW ONE. I EVEN HAVE AN EXTRA ONE.

Ben99GT

Post by Ben99GT » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:45 pm

Yes, change the pan gasket. Just make sure the completely remove all of the old gasket material and thoroughly clean the pan flange before re-installing. This can be a bit tedious with the CVT's pan gasket.

I would change the pan filter along with the HP filter at 60K (and if fact did). If nothing else dropping the pan filter/screen gets more fluid out and if you're already in there why not change it?

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:29 pm

well, i can't thank you kind people enough for sharing your experienced thoughts so far........if wishes were horses, i'd buy brand new '07 LTD Freestyles and send one to each of you.

thanks for addressing the Pan Gasket question......it appears i didn't ask my question(s) properly about the poor unheralded Pan Filter FT-162 (sorry about that):

1....what is the Forum's consensus or "AGREED" Interval to replace the Pan Filters FT-162 ?

100,000 miles?

or leave them until when the Pan starts to weep?

can all the experts please deliberate on it and come out with an Official Interval ?

2....can you kind experts please post a "How to replace" Topic for the FT-162 with pictures (like was done on the H.P. Filter FT-178 and Fluid XT-7-QCFT changes ?

forgive my persistence please.....i won't touch that CVT Pan until you all agree and post the How to.

again i thank you all.

(hmmm,i don't want to think so, BUT has "he" gone into hiding as usual when the experts talk ? :lol: )
i wonder who "Voodoo Bob of the Dead Poets Society" is hounding now.....:mrgreen:

KAH

Post by KAH » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:53 am

I have a 2007 Freestyle with 103,000 miles on it.

At 55,000 miles, I changed the CVT pressure filter
and saw no reason to change either the pan filter or the
pan gasket. The pan did have some metal shavings in it
but I assumed they were from the manufacturing process.

I have not had any problems with the CVT.

Admittedly the pan gasket does not appear to be
all that durable but I have had no leaks to date.

In a couple of months, I plan to change the pressure filter
again and may drop the pan to see if there are anymore
metal shavings.

Ken H.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:45 am

I've a couple of pan drops in other ZF transmissions. The reason I'm hesitant to change the pan gasket is that both the bolts and the gasket are notoriously finicky. It's easy to break a bolt or strip the transmission case, or to end up with a leak (the leak is no big deal, just re-tighten the bolts). And the question is "to what end"? Considering that there's already a high-quality full-flow filter, the pan filter doesn't do much. Those who have changed it all mentioned that it looked fine. If you snap a bolt off, your 1-2 hour job just became a lot longer...

With a 1-part rubber gasket, your best bet is to either re-use the old one if it's good shape, or better yet, replace the gasket, torque the bolts, drive around for a couple of days, then tighten the bolts an additional 1/8th of a turn. You'll get some gasket creep with a new gasket, which is the main reason these leak. You could also loosen them 1/8 of a turn then re-torque.

The factory manual has no specified interval for the pan filter. I've decided I'm going to do mine @ 150K miles, just because I figure nothing lasts forever. At 130K miles, there's no sign of any leak/weep. Hopefully, I won't regret changing it...

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:45 pm

KAH wrote:I have a 2007 Freestyle with 103,000 miles on it............In a couple of months, I plan to change the pressure filter again and may drop the pan to see if there are anymore
metal shavings.
thanks for post.

i can't wait to read your findings when you drop the Pan, especially on the FT-162 Filter......

Jack Watts wrote:.....The factory manual has no specified interval for the pan filter. I've decided I'm going to do mine @ 150K miles, just because I figure nothing lasts forever. At 130K miles, there's no sign of any leak/weep. Hopefully, I won't regret changing it...
thanks Jack.

in how many months from now do you think you'll hit 150k ?

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:41 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:well, i can't thank you kind people enough for sharing your experienced thoughts so far........if wishes were horses, i'd buy brand new '07 LTD Freestyles and send one to each of you.

thanks for addressing the Pan Gasket question......it appears i didn't ask my question(s) properly about the poor unheralded Pan Filter FT-162 (sorry about that):

1....what is the Forum's consensus or "AGREED" Interval to replace the Pan Filters FT-162 ?

100,000 miles?

or leave them until when the Pan starts to weep?

can all the experts please deliberate on it and come out with an Official Interval ?

2....can you kind experts please post a "How to replace" Topic for the FT-162 with pictures (like was done on the H.P. Filter FT-178 and Fluid XT-7-QCFT changes ?

forgive my persistence please.....i won't touch that CVT Pan until you all agree and post the How to.

again i thank you all.

(hmmm,i don't want to think so, BUT has "he" gone into hiding as usual when the experts talk ? :lol: )
I was out last week on a business trip. Miss me? :lol:

Btw, you sure are needy. :lol: :| :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:23 pm

knowitall wrote:I was out last week on a business trip. Miss me? :lol:

ah, welcome back, Friar!

yes, needy of ideas to keep the car healthy......what's your take on the Pan Filter FT162 change?

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:23 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:
knowitall wrote:I was out last week on a business trip. Miss me? :lol:

ah, welcome back, Friar!

yes, needy of ideas to keep the car healthy......what's your take on the Pan Filter FT162 change?
I think you need to relax and have a Guiness. You are too stressed. :P

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:01 pm

yes, Guinness "Stout" is great and i do enjoy and crave its bittersweet taste, but it won't answer my FT162 questions or prep the "how-to"......

BTW, you should be recommending American beer, not British.........be patriotic......

knowitall

Post by knowitall » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:33 pm

Africa_FS_07 wrote:yes, Guinness "Stout" is great and i do enjoy and crave its bittersweet taste, but it won't answer my FT162 questions or prep the "how-to"......

BTW, you should be recommending American beer, not British.........be patriotic......
How about if I sing My Country, Tis of Thee as I down a pint of Guiness? :lol:

Africa_FS_07

Post by Africa_FS_07 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:01 am

knowitall, as usual, thou lord of the "artful dodgers", you contributed nothing on the FT162 filter discussion :lol:, but distracted with the fluid that leads to "Perdition".