serious issues

jaunty75

Re: serious issues

Post by jaunty75 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:01 pm

davidmkh wrote:So you like to poke people in the eye, eh? Not very funny but very clownish.
I don't poke everybody in the eye. But you'd be a good candidate.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:43 pm

double post
Last edited by Jack Watts on Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:43 pm

I've used a Time Sert before on a friend's car, and it was very painless. You may want to see if you can get a quote from somewhere, or you could do it yourself.

The only issue is that we had to rent a 3/4" drill to use the bit. I'm not sure of the size of the bit on the applicable Time Sert for the Duratec.

You do NOT need to remove the cylinder head. You just cover the drill bit in grease and the metal shavings stick to it. We also used a Shop Vac to get out the metal shavings, just in case--but I think most just stuck to the bit. That's what the instructions recommend.

http://www.timesert.com/html/howtosp.html

Considering the mileage/value of the car, and the potential labor cost (since it's a rear plug), I think it may be worth DIY if you're handy--unless you can get it done at a reasonable cost.

It's possible the plugs were just under or over-torqued when they were done. Generally, this isn't indicative of another problem--it just happens. I've never heard of it on this motor. On some Ford engines (4.6 modulars) I think it happens on all of them.

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Jack Watts wrote:You just cover the drill bit in grease and the metal shavings stick to it. We also used a Shop Vac to get out the metal shavings, just in case--but I think most just stuck to the bit. That's what the instructions recommend.
Interesting. Thank you.

mmsstar

Post by mmsstar » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:00 am

jaunty75 wrote:
mmsstar wrote:you need to drill the old threads out to make the hole a larger diameter.
I have a question. When you do this, how do you prevent the metal shavings from falling down into the cylinder? I presume that would be a bad thing.

It's stuff like this, though, that would make me, as a shade tree mechanic, nervous. If I was working on my '62 Chevy Impala hobby vehicle, that's one thing, but with a modern vehicle that might very well be my family hauler, I'd be nervous about screwing it up and turning a $50 repair into a need for a new engine.
That was why I took the head off of the lawn tractor engine. I don't know how you could prevent the chips getting into the cyl or be sure you got then all out after.
Drove an 06 LTD FWD from July 08 to August 10, moved on to a 2011 Flex

tradosaurus

Post by tradosaurus » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:57 am

davidmkh wrote:To Jaunty:
"was a freakin' joke, OK? Get a sense of humor. I think the original poster took the comment in the spirit in which it was intended. Why don't you learn to as well?"

So you like to poke people in the eye, eh? Not very funny but very clownish.
I'm still trying to figure out why jaunty75 is even on this forum. :lol:
1 Tim 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence, with all subjection

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 am

tradosaurus wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why jaunty75 is even on this forum.
It's funny, because I just had the same thought about you.

KAH

Post by KAH » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:52 pm

You just cover the drill bit in grease and the
metal shavings stick to it.

I have also seen it done where the crank is turned
to get the piston down as far as possible. Then a
length of clean liberally greased cotton rope such as
a piece clothes line rope is slipped into the cylinder.

Using a drill bit covered with grease does catch a
lot of the shavings and the greased rope seems to catch
quite a few more. When done, remove ( very important )
the greased rope with a small hook and you will
find even more shavings.

Years ago, the old air cooled Volkswagen engines used to
blow out spark plugs. Some of the smarter guys in our
group would drill out the spark plug hole and rethread it for
a sparkplug that had a larger diameter spark plug thread
than the stock sparkplug but I do not think this is a
viable choice for this application.

Jaunty, I am ignoring you as whenever you start
your B.S. about eyepoking, you sound rather stupid.

Ken H.

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:56 pm

KAH wrote:Jaunty, I am ignoring you as whenever you start
your B.S. about eyepoking, you sound rather stupid.

Ken H.
Yeah right. Except that by pointing out that you're ignoring me, you're demonstrating that you're doing the exact opposite.

Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:17 pm

Drop it you two.

jaunty75

Post by jaunty75 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Webmaster wrote:Drop it you two.
Hey, I didn't start this, and I resent being lumped in with the person who did. Go back and look and see who posted the first message in this little back and forth and take it up with that person. You'll see it was NOT me. Mr. KAH decided for himself to take as an insult something that was not only not an insult, but the comment was not even directed at him.

Jack Watts

Post by Jack Watts » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:20 pm

While I know the 'metal shavings in the cylinder head' is scaring some people, it's worth noting what we're dealing with here: an engine w/200K on it.

You can buy a brand new engine (as in new, never used) for about $1,200. Pulling the head to install the Time Sert would probably by a $1,000 job, at a minimum. I think it's worth the minimal risk.

The greased drill bit and shop vac (or greased rope) method just seems like the most prudent way to go.

tradosaurus

Post by tradosaurus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:50 am

jaunty75 wrote:
tradosaurus wrote:I'm still trying to figure out why jaunty75 is even on this forum.
It's funny, because I just had the same thought about you.
Well considering I actually OWN a Freestyle, unlike you, it makes sense that I am on this forum. :P
1 Tim 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence, with all subjection

WhoaTed

Post by WhoaTed » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:23 pm

Jack Watts wrote: The greased drill bit and shop vac (or greased rope) method just seems like the most prudent way to go.
The few times over the years that I've had to deal with shavings-down-the-plug-hole repairs I've done the length of greased thin rope AND greased the tap (if tapping the hole) AND I have a very thin nozzle for my vac that I stick down the hole after removing the rope to get out the most that I can. Never a problem on assorted vehicles and a few tractors, boats, etc...you can make a cheap small diameter sucker-outer for your vac with some tubing and reducers. Use your imagination...
Take care,
Ted

'07 Freestyle LTD AWD
'04 Volvo V70 T5 (SOLD)
'95 Alfa 164LS Sedan
'82 Lancia Zagato
'74 Fiat 124 Spider
'01 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 (for "truck stuff")

snewtonwi

Post by snewtonwi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:04 pm

gressle1 wrote:ok i'd like to get some input on this because this is the first time this has happened to me on any car. Me and my family were going out to eat last week we thought it would be nice to take the freestyle because we all love the car we were driving on the highway and all of a sudden the car lost power and it sounded like the car was running on like one cylinder so we pulled off the road and called the tow truck to take us back home i went to look at the car this afternoon and yes i said this afternoon only because my job doesnt let me look at things right away but anyways i took the manifold off to get to the back spark plugs to check and see if anything was wrong back there and get this its like the spark plug and everything on one cylinder just blew up it shot the plug out of the motor and shreaded the rest of what the plug was connected to it and even when i looked at the boot it look like it just exploded was slpit almost in two. i mean i take care of my care oil changes tire rotations etc. anyone know why this might happen or what would cause this?
001_1319.JPG

This just happened to my 2005 Freestyle with 137000 miles on it. How did you finally repair the damage and if by a dealer what was the cost